Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do you like your 2013 Slingshot Rally 14M?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

How do you like your 2013 Slingshot Rally 14M?

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm

As I've posted before, I am pleased with my 2012 14M Rally which I upgraded from the 2011. No complaints, the kite does everything I need it to and is the first fun large kite I've flown in years because it turns fast and jumps early. But my 14 is looking stained and tired so I may swap it out this season...

I have not flown any of the 2013 Rallys. There are a lot of reviews on this site and elsewhere, mostly positive except for comments on increased bar pressure and slower turning. Those are contradicted as having positive attributes in other areas. For instance, I think the small Rallys benefit from those changes, but on the biggest size kite I really like the quick turning speed and light feel in the air (of my 2012). I'm curious if the 2013 14M feels like a big kite...or a fun kite? :)

Be interested in hearing your impressions of the kite. Thanks in advance! :thumb:

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do you like your 2013 Slingshot RALLY 14M?

Postby saildawg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Only flown the 2012 14m Rally and I do like it. I do fly 2013 12m, 10m, and 8m at the school and am very pleased with the slight mods made. We do have a 2013 14m RPM which I don't care for.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: How do you like your 2013 Slingshot Rally 14M?

Postby bigwave » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 am

I have had several sessions now on my 2013 14m Rally. My quiver is 14,10 and 8. IMO the 14m is really fun kite with great range. I did test it back to back with 2012 14m Rally last fall.Compared to the 12 the 13 had more bar pressure. That said,I felt the 12 model bar feedback was a little vague in lighter wind compared to the 13. I have used Cabrinha SwitchBlades for the last 5 seasons so the bar pressure for me was a non factor,The 2013 Rally is lighter than the 2012 SB and about the same as the 2013 SB.
No doubt, the 12 model year turns different. The 12 is more of a pivot where I feel the 13 is more direct with more power. Being so use to the 2012's it will take you some time to get adjusted to the feel. I noticed it right away when comparing the 2 14m Rally's. No doubt its the best 14m kite I have used. Relaunch is just great. Excellent range for me at 200 lbs. Nice float with jumps and excellent stability with the added struts. I'm one who did experience the wing tips cupping under high load in strong wind. I have not seen that on any of my 2013 Rally's. The kite has great speed in the air, very easy to work. The feedback, bar pressure is just right for me.
Surprisingly ,the 14m is the size I get the most positive feedback form when people have tested the kite. The consensus seems to be for a "big" kite it really is easy to use with great upwind performance. The most common complaint is 1, the bar grip is hard on the hands and 2, the depower is hard to use.
I think you would not be disappointed with 2013, but it is a whole different feel . I think its a positive move.
:thumb:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:49 pm

bigwave wrote:...I think you would not be disappointed with 2013, but it is a whole different feel . I think its a positive move.
Thanks for taking the time to write that, bw! Exactly the info I was looking for.

kite-it-right
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kite-it-right » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 pm

some info on the 14 vs the rally here

http://www.kiteitright.com/page-c-825.html

Tom
kiteitright

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

i agree with all of the above and think that although the 2012 turns faster it is a pivot turn
and the 2013 turns a bit slower in a carve turn it also has a bit more power so maybe you could ride a 2013 12m instead of a 2012 14m? to get the same power and a faster turn?
at lest that is what it feels like to me

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
bigwave wrote:...I think you would not be disappointed with 2013, but it is a whole different feel . I think its a positive move.
Thanks for taking the time to write that, bw! Exactly the info I was looking for.
U change kites every year? Cool

I am still on my 2011 rally 14m. Would u say the 2012 has the same upper end that the 2011?

I use thia kite up till about 18kts.

Dis the wings fold on u? I use all settings on the wing tip, but the furthest one out resulted in wing tip folding in 15kts

I will probAbly wait till end of year to upgrade but want to know about 2013 vs 2012. Keep us posted?

Did i go off topic? :-D

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 am

Captain,

Are you riding mostly twin tips, surf boards or both?

The guys above are spot on. To add to it, the new 2013's have 3 struts plus 2 mini struts to help aid stability and less leach flutter. It's also a different profile in being a bit higher aspect, so it goes up wind a little better than 2012 14m. If bigger sizes, this can actually be a bigger advantage.

The reason I asked on surf boards is that I prefer the 2012's on surf boards. All sizes.

When riding fast and going into a turn, it's easier to lessen the pull on the 2012's. 2013's tend to want to pull me off the board. I ride strapless. That is partially due to the 2012 having a pivot turn if needed and the 2013 is more of an arcing turn.

Almost everything else though I prefer the 2013. Goes upwind better, jumps better for sure with better feel and more stable. Range might be a little better also.

I hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 am

jrfiol wrote:...U change kites every year? Cool
not really...a couple seasons. 2012 came out in 2011, so i've been on my 12s for two seasons. like to move on while they are still worth a good bit in re-sale. not sure I want to get rid of my '12 14M, though... ;)
jrfiol wrote:I am still on my 2011 rally 14m. Would u say the 2012 has the same upper end that the 2011?
I think they are the same. I used to get that tip folding on my 2011 when overpowered, but don't get it on my 2012. SS said they changed something but I laid the two kites out and couldn't find anything. So, not sure if the improved performance was just on my end (pump harder, fly smarter) or it did change.
jrfiol wrote:I use thia kite up till about 18kts.
Probably about the same for me.
jrfiol wrote:Dis the wings fold on u? I use all settings on the wing tip, but the furthest one out resulted in wing tip folding in 15kts
Absolutely not in 15kts....that's the sweet spot for me!
Only folding I had was on the 2011 in overpowered conditions (>20kts) with a lot of depower and probably poor flying...I was overpowered. But yeah, there was clearly a design issue that they corrected on the 2013s. I have seen newbies have this issue on the 2012s...they should not HAVE to pump up the kite rock hard (and avoid oversheeting in the power zone), but if you do, it goes away...for what it's worth.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 am

toyletbowl wrote:Captain,

Are you riding mostly twin tips, surf boards or both?

The guys above are spot on. To add to it, the new 2013's have 3 struts plus 2 mini struts to help aid stability and less leach flutter. It's also a different profile in being a bit higher aspect, so it goes up wind a little better than 2012 14m. If bigger sizes, this can actually be a bigger advantage.

The reason I asked on surf boards is that I prefer the 2012's on surf boards. All sizes.

When riding fast and going into a turn, it's easier to lessen the pull on the 2012's. 2013's tend to want to pull me off the board. I ride strapless. That is partially due to the 2012 having a pivot turn if needed and the 2013 is more of an arcing turn.

Almost everything else though I prefer the 2013. Goes upwind better, jumps better for sure with better feel and more stable. Range might be a little better also.

I hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Thanks, Bob. I ride both.
Due to conditions I'm probably on a twin more often, but I like the surf better so I'd rather keep my setup tuned for waves.

You just described my conundrum then! Hmmm....maybe I upgrade my 10M to a 2013 but keep my 14M as the 2012. Tough, because I live in a light wind area and my 14M has the most wear on it.

Ack!

Return to “Kitesurfing”