Airush Slayer (New), Sector V4 and Monaro V5

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Airush Slayer (New), Sector V4 and Monaro V5

Postby shawn13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 am

Here are the new Airush Racing and Directional Freeride boards:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Airush Slayer (New), Sector V4 and Monaro V5

Postby shawn13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 am

The step bottom on the Slayer is an interesting design.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am

are there some videos with slayer?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 am

We get the new Slayers and Sectors into the UK in 7 days time. I have had a good session on a 54 Slayer prototype in the UK. it's impressive.

I did have reservations on it's ability. I have wanted a crossover between the physical abilities of the sector and a waveboard, or certainly manoeuvre oriented board for a few years now. The Sector 54 would go early and upwind but took a wide arc in the carve. The Big wave boards just simply didn't have the efficiency.

The 54 Slayer goes very early, and goes upwind very well indeed considering the fin size. It's also sharp in the turn too, and probably the easiest strapless board I have used. We get the 60's in 7 days, as well as the new Sectors, so I will get the full reviews up on these as soon as I can get them in the water.

I have a big national demo day on the 20/21st April, and may get them at this, but not sure yet :-/

more info here (and I assume this came from there);
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 70&t=55868
They should be on the international site in days I would think, with vids coming too.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

54 Slayer review is now online, on that link...
It's staying in my van! ;-)

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:59 pm

MikeBirt wrote:54 Slayer review is now online, on that link...
It's staying in my van! ;-)
That was a very good review Mike. It strikes me that the Slayer,if we were talking motorcycles would be your on/off road model. It can do either but not as well as the dedicated models,Sector or a Wave style board. I keep referring customers to the Sector V2 54 vid from Baja with Dave Tyburski. They are amazed when they see the fun you can have with a directional board.
I'm looking forward to your review of the Slayer 60.

Dave

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information and the review of the Slayer, I'm really keen to give that board a go! I do have a couple of questions for you about the sector boards. I spent last season demoing the sector boards, however this season, I would like to buy one.

OK so the questions that I have;

1. I spent most of my time last season demoing the Sector One, and the more time I spent on it the sector the more I begun to get used to it. THEN... I tried the sector 54 V3, with 3 fins, and was completely shocked at how must faster it was than the One design. Jumping back on the One design, it felt like the handbrake was left on. Can I ask, do you think that was because of the 3 fins on the 54 vs the 4 fins on the One design?

2. I noticed from the pictures above that it looks like the front foot straps of this years One design, have been moved further forward. Is that true? And how does the One design board ride because of it?

3. The last sector One and the v3 sectors seemed to work fine if the board wasn't kept dead flat on the water, how about the new version of the One design? As looks to be taking on some of the DNA from the Monaro, does that mean that the riders ability will need to be better to get the board working properly?

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 am

Hey mike, more Q:s from me:

Which board, The Slayer 60 or the Sector 60, is more adaptabel to the conditions and intended use using diff fin sizes and settings?

/Urban.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am

WildDuke wrote:1. I spent most of my time last season demoing the Sector One, and the more time I spent on it the sector the more I begun to get used to it. THEN... I tried the sector 54 V3, with 3 fins, and was completely shocked at how must faster it was than the One design. Jumping back on the One design, it felt like the handbrake was left on. Can I ask, do you think that was because of the 3 fins on the 54 vs the 4 fins on the One design?
It was because the sector one design uses 4 fins of high cant (angle). It's and old design, and while the board is VERY easy to ride, it's not as efficient as the new configurations.
For example, last years V3 sector 60, with 3 fins in (5 degree cant instead of 7.5 on the one design) felt like a knife through butter (similar to the 54).
The fin configs and angles make huge differences, and also the size. The new boards (V4 that are just about to arrive) will be the best combo yet regarding fin placements on the sector 60 which is the biggest seller and most versatile.
Just out of interest - I put the fins of a sector 60 one design in a V4 54cm once, as a result the 54 began to feel very similar to the one design, without the width..
WildDuke wrote:2. I noticed from the pictures above that it looks like the front foot straps of this years One design, have been moved further forward. Is that true? And how does the One design board ride because of it?
The one design this year is a TOTALLY different board - nothing is the same as the old one design you used. Its's wider, flatter, squarer, more aggressive. Closer to a raceboard than the freerace you have. It rides flatter, points higher, and resembles the monaro more. That said I have not ridden one yet, and have been told it's very civilised, but not the fast slippy sector 60 we all champion...

WildDuke wrote:3. The last sector One and the v3 sectors seemed to work fine if the board wasn't kept dead flat on the water, how about the new version of the One design? As looks to be taking on some of the DNA from the Monaro, does that mean that the riders ability will need to be better to get the board working properly?
exactly, though I am told the one design is a lot easier to deal with than the dimensions would suggest. It's a raceboard with as much civility built into it as possible. That said, the carving light rail to rail feel of the sector 60 would not be there..
You really need to try a v3 / v4 sector 60 if you liked the practicality of the one design with the feel of the 54. It's the best of both from your perspective....
Telekiter wrote:Hey mike, more Q:s from me:
Which board, The Slayer 60 or the Sector 60, is more adaptable to the conditions and intended use using diff fin sizes and settings?
That is a question that I can only answer when I have both boards in the van, a load of different fins and a week of testing. I will be doing this though, as it's important for us to know.
I do know this though, the designers have done their best to optimise the ability of the boards when you take them off the shelf. For sure there is a lot you can do to bend their abilities one way or another. Until I get the full stock in I will not know, but when I do I'll post it up.

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

Both sizes of Slayer will be in stock with us any day now :D

Dan
24-7 Boardsports