Airush Lithium 2013 12m
Peter Lynn Impulse TR 3m
Naish Haze 2010 141x41cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board fow newbie friend

Postby Krucifix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 am

Hi there, my friend wants me to reccomend a board for him, he is 190cm/90kg (200lbs) riding usually 12 and 16m2 in 12-22 knots area (Central Europe). After few hours of searching we got three last options in price range he wants - apx 150 USD.

2005 Naish Haze 161x43 (black)
2006 Naish Haze 154x42 (Gray)
2003 X-Shooter XXL 155x?? (Black)

I am not sure if it is not too big, however he is newbie on water although experienced on snow.
Last edited by Krucifix on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva

Re: Board fow newbie friend

Postby JaanTatikas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 am

I have not gotten any experience with the boards you named. My thoughts are as followed.
If we are talking about twin-tip then first thing what to consider is wheter you want to ride with boots or with straps.
In that price range i would go for a used board, not an unused one from earlier years. Im 65 kg, ride with straps and i used to ride 128, no got myself 130 cm. Usually ride from 10 to 35 knots. Guess 95 kg should take 140 or something around that measure for an all-around board. When riding only in lighter wind conditions and/or boots go for a bit bigger one.
Try to consider what is your preferred riding style, smaller boards allow easier turning and better control in high winds. If he plans to use it more than one or two seasons then also consider different board characteristics - read reviews or try them all out before buying one.

Krucifix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: CZ
Gear: Naish Torch 2009 12m
Airush Lithium 2013 12m
Peter Lynn Impulse TR 3m
Naish Haze 2010 141x41cm

Postby Krucifix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 am

All are slightly used, twin tips and straps, I would say it will be for one or two seasons, after that it will stay as low-winder or go to next begginer. As newbie, his riding style is so far not-falling-after-turning :D

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva

Postby JaanTatikas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I would still go for a board that is like 140, maybe + <= 4 cm. Wait and see what others think.
There is no point of buying a really big board, because it is only for maybe two or three sessions. Considering the fact that your friend has allready experience on snow then i dont think riding the size i recommended would be a problem. All in all its not the size of the board but the technique that counts (make sure he has the water-start exactly right and also the body posture when riding), of course you always need enough power from the kite. If you dont have enough power then even when you try with a door then you just dont succeed.

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot

Postby NeWORBiT » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Kru,
I had that '06 154 Haze, I believe it really hindered my progress. I think a piece of plywood would be better. It may be good for half a season, learn to get up and ride downwind. But, trying to go upwind, a little gust would hit and my edge would release and I would skid far downwind before I could get the edge to dig in and track again.So frustrating!
I just got a new board, 137 X 41 Sugar Skull, WOW what a difference! Suddenly I could go upwind easily, my skills learned by snowkiting (downloop transitions, toeside, jump transitions etc.) could be applied to the water.
My stats; 180lbs (80 kg), 9m and 12m kites, 2 seasons snowkite, 1 season on water, gusty inland conditions.
Life is short, you can't buy time, have him spend more buy a modern light wind board. Unless you're thinking of buying that Haze from SPI (mine is on consignment there), then ignore this post and buy it . :lol:
Tony

Krucifix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: CZ
Gear: Naish Torch 2009 12m
Airush Lithium 2013 12m
Peter Lynn Impulse TR 3m
Naish Haze 2010 141x41cm

Postby Krucifix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 pm

okay so you all basically say that size does not really matter, for standart riding it is enough to buy little over 140cm long even for amateur on water. Another quite good deal I have here is Best Profanity V1 (2011) unused 142x42,5 board only, for 195 USD ... but i do not know if he will go to wakestyle or not, is it "rideable" with straps?

Return to “Kitesurfing”