Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

how do you relaunch your C kites

Postby edt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm

I was looking at the old Progression Beginner Video yesterday and it was beautiful to see all those old C kites. But they only gave one technique to relaunching an old C kite : swim to the kite until it rolls on its back.

How do you relaunch your C kite (I mean any C kite except for the post 2009 fuel which relaunches like a SLE kite, just tug a rear line).

Some people tug the 5th line (if they have it) until the kite rolls on its back. Some give the two center lines a short tug and swim to the kite.

I generally grab the opposite center and rear lines, give it a quick tug, and the kite will flip over for a hot launch (doesn't work if your bar has a high Y on it).

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: how do you relaunch your C kites

Postby Tone » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Fuel, pull on side.

Job done.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Tone wrote:Fuel, pull on side.

Job done.

i told you not to go there :-)

what about your older fuels.

papand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Korsør
Gear: VEGAS BABY - 2012
Brand Affiliation: Local store owner, i sell north, slingshot, naish, flexifoil.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby papand » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Vegas, pull 1 line gg

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm

on the really old C kites you need to swim toward them to release line tension to allow it to flip. Thats why 5th line makes it so easy as you just pull the 5th and the kite flips.

G

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm

5th line, use it to tilt the kite back, pull on a steering line, kite will come round and relaunch. Can relaunch quite deep in the window and pull on the 5th still to keep the kite depowered. If you roll the kite right over onto its back then its becomes a nightmare and can takes ages to get it back up.

Some SLEs, especially in light wind, can be relaunched by pulling on the centre lines then letting go to tilt the kite back then a rear line can be used to relaunch.

As for 4 line C kites I remember pulling on the front lines and lots of swimming :roll:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 am

I've never not had a 5th line... so yeah... just tug on the 5th until I can fly a wing tip. Never experienced the "tug on center lines and swim toward kite" thing at all... I might try that one day for the hell of it.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)

Postby pwnd550 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 am

With the flexifoi hadlow id, i just swim towards the kite or let myself get dragged downwind, and then it goes a bit on its back and i pull on a side line

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am

pwnd550 wrote:With the flexifoi hadlow id, i just swim towards the kite or let myself get dragged downwind, and then it goes a bit on its back and i pull on a side line
thats not a c kite. i'll pass the info on relaunching bridle kites onto my grandpa though.

I pull opposing center and steering lines, even when just a steering line would do it, because I like my kite to rip me out of the water on as it shoots straight up through the window.

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)

Postby pwnd550 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 am

DirkGently wrote:
pwnd550 wrote:With the flexifoi hadlow id, i just swim towards the kite or let myself get dragged downwind, and then it goes a bit on its back and i pull on a side line
thats not a c kite. i'll pass the info on relaunching bridle kites onto my grandpa though.

I pull opposing center and steering lines, even when just a steering line would do it, because I like my kite to rip me out of the water on as it shoots straight up through the window.
It might not be a c kite, but it's hybrid and relaunches like a c

Return to “Kitesurfing”