All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: how do you relaunch your C kites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was looking at the old Progression Beginner Video yesterday and it was beautiful to see all those old C kites. But they only gave one technique to relaunching an old C kite : swim to the kite until it rolls on its back.

How do you relaunch your C kite (I mean any C kite except for the post 2009 fuel which relaunches like a SLE kite, just tug a rear line).

Some people tug the 5th line (if they have it) until the kite rolls on its back. Some give the two center lines a short tug and swim to the kite.

I generally grab the opposite center and rear lines, give it a quick tug, and the kite will flip over for a hot launch (doesn't work if your bar has a high Y on it).

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: how do you relaunch your C kites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Fuel, pull on side.

Job done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Tone wrote:
Fuel, pull on side.

Job done.

i told you not to go there :-)

what about your older fuels.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm 
Medium Poster

Vegas, pull 1 line gg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm 
Medium Poster

on the really old C kites you need to swim toward them to release line tension to allow it to flip. Thats why 5th line makes it so easy as you just pull the 5th and the kite flips.

G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

5th line, use it to tilt the kite back, pull on a steering line, kite will come round and relaunch. Can relaunch quite deep in the window and pull on the 5th still to keep the kite depowered. If you roll the kite right over onto its back then its becomes a nightmare and can takes ages to get it back up.

Some SLEs, especially in light wind, can be relaunched by pulling on the centre lines then letting go to tilt the kite back then a rear line can be used to relaunch.

As for 4 line C kites I remember pulling on the front lines and lots of swimming :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I've never not had a 5th line... so yeah... just tug on the 5th until I can fly a wing tip. Never experienced the "tug on center lines and swim toward kite" thing at all... I might try that one day for the hell of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 am 
Frequent Poster

With the flexifoi hadlow id, i just swim towards the kite or let myself get dragged downwind, and then it goes a bit on its back and i pull on a side line

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am 
Medium Poster

pwnd550 wrote:
With the flexifoi hadlow id, i just swim towards the kite or let myself get dragged downwind, and then it goes a bit on its back and i pull on a side line

thats not a c kite. i'll pass the info on relaunching bridle kites onto my grandpa though.

I pull opposing center and steering lines, even when just a steering line would do it, because I like my kite to rip me out of the water on as it shoots straight up through the window.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 am 
Frequent Poster

DirkGently wrote:
pwnd550 wrote:

thats not a c kite. i'll pass the info on relaunching bridle kites onto my grandpa though.

I pull opposing center and steering lines, even when just a steering line would do it, because I like my kite to rip me out of the water on as it shoots straight up through the window.

It might not be a c kite, but it's hybrid and relaunches like a c

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next