Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back..

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back.

Postby ronnie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:25 pm

I saw a comment from a scuba diver who has been using a brass one on his belt to connect his speargun to for years and he said it was still working OK.

Brass does corrode in seawater and if you got enough sand into it the panic snap may not slide, but it does look like a better simpler solution than a lot of the home made ones I have seen.

For a Q/R though, you want it as close to 100% as you can get.

Babel
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Babel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Love it how this initially commercial thread has turned into a do it yourself thread for the exact same product! Power to the people ;)

windtzu
Medium Poster

I was going to make my own sliding hook but...

Postby windtzu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:39 pm

:thumb: I was going to make my own "Dynabar" and decided after the cost of an effective-safe snap shackle, sacrificing a spreader bar, etc., it would cost only a bit more to buy something already tried, proven, and safe. After being on the Dynabar for many a session, it does enhance my kiting experience. If it did nothing else, I love how easy it is to walk up the beach with a sliding hook and how much easier it is to body drag with. The toeside turn experience is night and day verses the fixed hook. I use it on both my boardshorts harness riding strapless (sliding hook should be standard equipment on a seat harness) and my waist harness. I find the waist harness tends to ride up less with the Dynabar.

I expected an adjustment period the first time out, but there was nothing to it. It's automatic, doing what it's suppose to do when you need it too and I forgot it was even there. Newbies would also benefit from the sliding hook. If you're into hardcore wakestyle perhaps there's a debate over the pro's and cons, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it's in the category of "try it, you'll like it."

I use mine with the Power Wave Bar. It's smooth and I like the fact there's one less thing that can fail on the water verses rope failure over time.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Re: I was going to make my own sliding hook but...

Postby robertovillate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm

windtzu wrote::thumb: I was going to make my own "Dynabar" and decided after the cost of an effective-safe snap shackle, sacrificing a spreader bar, etc., it would cost only a bit more to buy something already tried, proven, and safe. After being on the Dynabar for many a session, it does enhance my kiting experience. If it did nothing else, I love how easy it is to walk up the beach with a sliding hook and how much easier it is to body drag with. The toeside turn experience is night and day verses the fixed hook. I use it on both my boardshorts harness riding strapless (sliding hook should be standard equipment on a seat harness) and my waist harness. I find the waist harness tends to ride up less with the Dynabar.

I expected an adjustment period the first time out, but there was nothing to it. It's automatic, doing what it's suppose to do when you need it too and I forgot it was even there. Newbies would also benefit from the sliding hook. If you're into hardcore wakestyle perhaps there's a debate over the pro's and cons, but for the rest of us mere mortals, it's in the category of "try it, you'll like it."

I use mine with the Power Wave Bar. It's smooth and I like the fact there's one less thing that can fail on the water verses rope failure over time.
:thumb: right on! and this reflects the experience of almost everyone I know who has tried it. There are a few people who prefer a fixed hook (which is an optional setup with the Dynabar), but it's nice to have the versatility if you want to ride all disciplines.

fyi - the rope lasts a long time without any problem if you use a good quality line and fasten it properly. Just make sure you use the (supplied) plastic bushings to eliminate chafe if you thread it thru the holes on the Dynabar frame. I have not had a rope fail yet.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm

I priced out the parts, my Dynabar cost less than the snap shackle rig.
There are cheaper ways to get it done at home without the Dynabar but the Jay system is priced pretty well.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 pm

ronnie wrote:There is a stainless steel panic snap with a swivel.

The stainless one is hard to come by but it does have a better release system. It would be a possible release.

http://paracordmalaysia.blogspot.co.uk/ ... chive.html
No offense, but I would never trust something like that.
At one time (years ago) I had a kite leash with this type of snap and it was always jamming with sand, and the way they are built they will eventually get worse over time.

I love innovation and the effort individuals make to come up with creative solutions, but I honestly hope that people do not risk their safety (or the safety of others) by jury rigging their QR devices with inherently unsafe hardware.

Let's move forward with safety and quality...not backward!

The way I look at it...with all the time and money the average kiter has invested in kites, wetsuits, bars, boards...and then to compromise on this for a few dollars?????

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 am

Here's my untested poor man's version. 18 kn carabiner and 1/4 amsteel.
Have to step into the harness though, hoping to try it out this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_0821.JPG

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:02 am

justbob wrote:Here's my untested poor man's version. 18 kn carabiner and 1/4 amsteel.
that carabiner looks flimsy, make sure you leash is good...

anyways, i noticed how loose you have your amsteel tied, your going to want it a little tighter, when i tried mine it was tied as loose as yours,...now its as tight as to touch the pad the hole way, cause think about the chicken loop placement and how ur going to have to go into a poo stance to depower to go upwind

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 am

Posted this one on the forum before. Sticking with the poor mans version, I sacrificed a spreader bar for this one. It will stand up for unhooking due too the bungee, but can not be use nearly as efficiently as a fixed hook for unhooking. I flared and smoothed the edges so It would slide easier. Works well.
bungee hook attach.jpg
bungee hook attach.jpg (105.31 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
2012-12-28_20-38-28_787.jpg
2012-12-29_15-01-15_218.jpg

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 am

justbob wrote:Here's my untested poor man's version. 18 kn carabiner and 1/4 amsteel.
It's only 18kn if you load it along the spine and the gate is closed, make sure it doesn't twist and the gate doesn't stick open when it fills with sand. Also is aluminum and you'll probably wear though and alarming amount of it in a few days.

Return to “Kitesurfing”