Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 Epic bar repair

Postby RomanC » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 am

Hello,

Does anybody know if 2011 has exactly same parts as the 2010 bar? My mini-fifth snapped and my depower lines could also use a replacement. I found that epic store has these items only for the 2011 bar. Also, does anybody know where I can get the line that attaches the metal tri-ring to the de-power strap? Mine started to fray in the middle, and I don't see that line on epic's website.

Thanks!

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: 2010 Epic bar repair

Postby GregK » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 am

If Epic isn't stocking replacements, an alternate solution is to get the rope you need from a marine supply store and make them up yourself.

Mini-fifth line is typically 7/64 - inch / 2.5 mm diameter 12-strand single-braid Dyneema or Spectra line ( i.e. Samson Rope's Amsteel Blue ) and trim line is typically the same type of line, just heavier, 3/16-inch or 5mm diameter.

I'm not sure about the line between the trim strap and tri-ring, but likely 7/64-inch 12-strand single-braid as well.

If there's no decent marine supply store near you, there's lots of good mail-order marine suppliers online.

If you need to make some loops at one end or another, 12-strand is pretty easy to splice a loop using a loop of wire to pull the end of the rope into a splice, then hand-stitch the splice with some heavy thread ( strong polyester or nylon ) to hold it in place.

Or find a full-service kite repair centre, I know of a great one if you're in Canada !

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby RomanC » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 am

http://xtremebigair.com/BEST-09-Redline ... 3C100.aspx
This looks like it could work, but I can't seem to find the length of the lines.

There is West Marine pretty close to me, but what do I need to make the "eye" connectors? I don't think my wife's sewing machine is strong enough for spectra line.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello RomanC,
Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post but you can always go to our www.epickites.com web site and send us an email so we can get back with you with in 20 minutes.
The 2011 Bars are the same then the 2010. If you broke your mini 5th line you have 2 ways to getting replaced.
The first way and cheapest way will be to go to any Marine store and get a replacement line like the one you broke and cut it the same length. It doesn't need to be the same color or quality but it needs to be thin and strong. The only problem is that you won't have the nice connectors but you can always make knots instead. This is what I do with all my prototypes. I use WEST MARINE.
The other way is to buy it from our ONLINE STORE or just email me at: dimitri@epickites.com or visit any of our EPIC dealers.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 am

Loops on the end of 12-strand single-braid are made with a tool sailors call a "fid". A loop of stiff wire will do the trick.

A demonstartion of the process can be found here - http://www.animatedknots.com/longbury/ .

The stitching is done primarily to hold the loop in place when not under tension. Once's there's tension, the outer rope squeezes the inner rope and friction holds it in place.

Your wife's sewing machine may have enough lift under the presser foot to lock down the splice with stitching on 7/64-inch line, but 5 mm will likely be too thick to get under it, so just stitch by hand.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Thank you GregK for taking the time in helping. :thumb:

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Feel free to contact me on info (at) drtuba.eu and we will make you the same replacement line.

:bye:
RomanC wrote:Hello,

Does anybody know if 2011 has exactly same parts as the 2010 bar? My mini-fifth snapped and my depower lines could also use a replacement. I found that epic store has these items only for the 2011 bar. Also, does anybody know where I can get the line that attaches the metal tri-ring to the de-power strap? Mine started to fray in the middle, and I don't see that line on epic's website.

Thanks!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Very nice job Gigi;). Thank you for helping our customer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”