All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: How strong is too strong?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

RideLow wrote:
This day was measured to 27m/s (more or less 52knots) on the beach. kinda steady..

here is an average jump that special day :P

Long arms on a 8m kite :P

Something is wrong here...

I have to say I dont believe this. What was the air temperature this day ?

In 27m/s average wind, it would IMO not be possible to ride or hold an 8m2 kite.

Even if you weigh 150kg, you would have a kite double the size that would suit the wind at the sweet spot (for a 150kg rider), and I dont think it is possible to do this.

At what wind strength do you get too powered with a 12m2 ?

That should happen around 21 m/s or 41 knots average then (if 27m/s is the limit for you with an 8 ) which I dont believe either.

The wind measured can NOT be the wind ridden, not even close, IMO (unless you are 200kg, are you ?)

:D Peter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

JaanTatikas wrote:
There is no such thing as too strong wind, only a too big kite.

strong winds are way more dangerous. I don't care how small your kite is.

What happens is that if something goes wrong you go downwind at the same speed as the wind.

The crash is way harder in strong winds. You can be completely out of control on a 21 meter kite in 15 knot wind, dragged downwind uncontrollably. You are only going 15 knots you won't crash that hard.

Or you can be completely in control riding comfortably on a 5 meter in 50 knot wind, you do a jump, get going downwind at the same speed as the wind, hit the water at 50 knots, catch an edge, and WHAM.

I know lots of people think the danger is that you have too big of a kite for the conditions. That if you choose a small enough kite you will be safe that's not true! But it doesn't matter how you choose your kite strong winds are way more dangerous!

Just something to think about. Big winds are a lot of fun, just be careful out there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
In 27m/s average wind, it would IMO not be possible to ride or hold an 8m2 kite.

Probably one of those "8 meter" kites that are actually 7 meters or less. They sell it as an 8m kite with great "top end", but it's really just smaller than the printed size.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

jan_hou wrote:
You can use your 7M kite here in Penghu, Taiwan. :bye:

Jan Hou

Your launch site looks like shit though :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
RideLow wrote:
This day was measured to 27m/s (more or less 52knots) on the beach. kinda steady..

Even if you weigh 150kg, you would have a kite double the size that would suit the wind at the sweet spot (for a 150kg rider), and I dont think it is possible to do this.

That should happen around 21 m/s or 41 knots average then (if 27m/s is the limit for you with an 8 ) which I dont believe either.

The wind measured can NOT be the wind ridden, not even close, IMO (unless you are 200kg, are you ?)

Which is why wind speeds are meaningless as they are never what is actually ridden.

You are claiming a storm force 10, here is a description of the conditions.

Very high waves with overhanging crests. Large patches of foam from wave crests give the sea a white appearance. Considerable tumbling of waves with heavy impact. Large amounts of airborne spray reduce visibility. Trees are broken off or uprooted, saplings bent and deformed. Poorly attached asphalt shingles and shingles in poor condition peel off roofs.

Good luck even pumping a kite up in that. :bye:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 pm 
Medium Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
jan_hou wrote:
You can use your 7M kite here in Penghu, Taiwan. :bye:

Jan Hou

Your launch site looks like shit though :D

It hurts. However, many debris drift ashore from all over the world (including from Japan)
We as kitesurfesr can only clean our beach as much as we can.

It is not like in the lake there is no trash that will be washed on-shore.

Jan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Medium Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
RideLow wrote:

maybe the wind meter need to be calibrated. or the meter is accurate only up to certain speed. Just my thought, we cannot always trust the reading from ANY machine.

Jan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I find people exaggerate wind.......either on the low side or the high side - human nature..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 am 
Frequent Poster

RideLow wrote:

Not a windsurfer - not even much of a kiteboarder, but that looks like a pretty big sail to be out in 50+kts.

I've been out one time, on a lake up in Wisconsin, when winds as measured at UW madison, about 2 miles away were 35 gusting to 45 mph. Was using a 5m and 6m and it was REALLY fun once I got over being scared shitless. Wasn't doing much more than going really really fast :)

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5