Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back..

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Warning: if you try sliding hook you will never go back.

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:39 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
Oldnbroken wrote:T
The Dynabar is a really cost effective sliding hook system that performs better than most home made stuff.
My chicken loops release just fine, and my safety leases release the kite completely if the sh!t really hits the fan.
The Mystic releasable spreader bar hook (thread) is all about letting things go without opening your chicken loop.
The DynaBar is a reasonably priced well thought out piece of equipment. Chicken loops do work well now for the most part, but, don't underestimate a kite companies ability to screw something up when trying to promote a "new and improved". version with half-baked R&D. Early adopters of a new piece of equipment end up being the R&D team which is how V2s come about. Pathetic when it happens.

i agree with ronnie that QRs should be removed as a control bar component
ronnie wrote:To me it makes sense to have the Q/R on the harness. You only need to have one then instead of one for every kite bar, and its always the same Q/R you operate.

It should be better/safer and cheaper in the long run.
Why should we pay for a QR for each bar which greatly contributes to the $400+ cost of current control bars when we only need 1. Just like we only need 1 harness. Bars would become less expensive and simple to repair for the average kite boarder. I would be more likely motivated to buy a bar for every kite and leave them attached in the bag. In addition to "better/safer and cheaper in the long run" it allows us more choice. Currently when you buy a bar you have to buy the QR and trim/depower system that come together. Wouldn't it be better if you could choose the QR you want and the trim/depower system you want separately?

Control bars could come with a simple ring under the bar which would hook to a QR attached to the harness. the QR could pivot from a fixed point in the center or slide. The Mystic solution is a step in the right direction, but I think better designs without detachable flying hooks will evolve like the one Jaystore posted if it was attached to the harness instead of the control bar. The challenge is to find a customer base large enough that has the ability and interest to simplify their own bars that would work with a QR offered as a separate component. The answer may be for a manufacturer to also offer simplified bars along with a separate QR.

I think the DynaBar is a great product because it provides a superior experience for those of us that are not unhooking. Apparently mega-loops are also out :lol: . The DynaBar offers an experience you did not know you needed or wanted until you try it. I love that!! Separate QRs offers different benefits.. Separate QRs are safer, will reduce costs and provide more choices for the consumer, but, will not enhance your riding experience.

I totally agree.

Jay are ahead of the curve in redesigning what most of us just accept. They have done it and brought their interpretation to market. I dont know if they will end up as the definitive word on the link between kite and rider, but they are at least working on it.

flyflow: DIY is cool enough to be the attachment of choice on the custom carbon harnesses of a pretty star studded cast of todays top wave riders. You and your McGear gotta catch up to the west coast bra!

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 pm

flylow wrote:Pretty funny inventors here. Spinning the wheels. Youse home made guys are prolly using 2003 Wipika 2 line kites because they are cheap. Good luck to you all. The already smooth Dynabar with the rope is terrific. Let's see an invention "better" then the Dynabar... not just a cheap home made job replica. ..... Keep thinking "out of the box."
i think you will find most of the individuals trying DYI projects do it because they enjoy thinking outside the box and do not just accept whatever is spoon-fed to them by manufactures. Certainly cost is also a motivator, but curiosity is the real motivator. I own a DynaBar but still experiment with my own versions for various reasons. I know one example does not dispel a generalization, but this is how many innovative products are born.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 am

ronnie wrote:To me it makes sense to have the Q/R on the harness.
You only need to have one, instead of one for every kite bar, and it's always the same Q/R you operate.
It should be better/safer and cheaper in the long run.
SalmonSlayer wrote:I agree that QRs should be removed as a control bar component
Why should we pay for a QR for each bar which greatly contributes to the $400+ cost of current control bars.
Control bars could come with a simple ring under the bar which would hook to a QR attached to the harness.
The QR could pivot from a fixed point in the center or slide.
The answer may be for a manufacturer to also offer simplified bars along with a separate QR.
The Separate QRs offers different benefits.. Separate QRs are safer, will reduce costs and provide more choices for the consumer
I agree with every bit of this.
Bar systems are priced really high and the cost could surely come down without all the time and tooling costs attached to every bar being redesigned every new model year.
I have a Dynabar and it's a swivel from a fixed center point (in the pics I posted a page or two ago).
I had a Dynabar rope model as well and sold it to a pal.
I prefer my swivel deal to the rope rig.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I have a new Dynabar on loan I'm going to try. The red ball quick release is a cause of alarm for me though. It is seems difficult to reboot unless I'm missing something and I'm afraid if a loose line wraps around it, it could pre-release. I understand the need for safety but all bars have QRs so why have another? Simpler is supposed to be better right?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I dismantled the red ball release deal as soon as I got it.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 am

DSZ wrote:I have a new Dynabar on loan I'm going to try. The red ball quick release is a cause of alarm for me though. It is seems difficult to reboot unless I'm missing something and I'm afraid if a loose line wraps around it, it could pre-release. I understand the need for safety but all bars have QRs so why have another? Simpler is supposed to be better right?
The release on the DYNABAR is reliable and won't never release under load.

If you are rolled in a wave it's difficult to release CL and bungee leash, but if you attach the BL to DYNABAR's front ring then you have a chance to completely release the kite and you know exactly where to pull. When rolled you have no idea where the CL is. If the hook get caught by kite lines you have one more option to use.

We remind users the first safety system is the CL QR.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am

Is anyone out there using the full Dynabar Jay XT harness? I have been thinking about getting a new harness anyway and definitely want the sliding hook, so I was thinking getting the whole setup might be a good idea. Any thoughts?

For Jaystore: What is the best way to buy a full harness in the U.S.? Should I order it from the Jaystore site, or should I order it through one of the US distributors? I noticed both US stores only listed the slider and not the full harness. I should probably just order it from Blast since his video is the main reason this is on my must have list. :lol:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 am

KYLakeKiter wrote: I was thinking getting the whole setup might be a good idea. Any thoughts?
What is the best way to buy a full harness in the U.S.? Should I order it from the Jaystore site, or should I order it through one of the US distributors?
I think it would be good.
Got my Dynabar gear from Romann at 321 Kiteboarding in Cocoa Beach Florida.
Telephone number 321-302-5663.
Their prices were very good and Romann was helpful.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 am

My no. 1 reason for the release on the harness, is that kite companies dont post videos of resetting chicken loops in 30+ knots or squalls. Much easier to reset the harness - then pull the ring back onto the hook 'if' in shallow water.
Which brings us to another important feature... It must be a simple click back in reset, with one hand - done "Blind" under water... As only your head will be out of the water !! I.M.O

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:52 am

So I did buy the full XT harness with the V7 spreader. I have been out with it 4 times now. I have just used the rope and bungee so far. The most impressive thing IMO is that initially, I didn't notice any difference from my fixed hook. I was using an impact vest with the harness built in, so the hook was very solidly held in the center with no twisting possible. I thought it would feel different, but at first I didn't even notice it. Of course, once I turned toeside, it was great. It was really nice to get some new abilities just from getting a new piece of gear. With my old vest, I could barely go upwind toeside, so I really enjoyed the new flexibility.

I tried on the leg straps, but have not used them in the water yet. The XT harness actually rides lower than my vest, so even with the rope, it feels like the hook is lower, so I haven't even wanted to use the legstraps yet.

I am normally a DYI kind of person and could make something like this myself, but for the money and time spent, I was happy to get something that worked really well right out of the box that did not cut into my highly valued kiting time.

The only negative thing I can say is that it was a little difficult to get it in the U.S. The Jaystore site locked up every time I tried it in the paypal section (I assume it was a euro to dollars issue), so I got mine from 321 Kiteboarding. They had harnesses, but were out of V7 spreader bars, so it took them a couple of weeks to get a full set together for me. This should be good criticism since I am saying to Jaystore, your stuff is good so you need to send more across the pond.

Return to “Kitesurfing”