Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Barbados - Silver Sands / Long Bay advise

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Barbados - Silver Sands / Long Bay advise

Postby nicor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Heading to Barbados and have some questions. I’m staying on the West Coast about 30 Min away, and will be going to Silver Sands and Long Bay daily.

Should I rent a car or simply take taxi?

If I rent a car - how is the parking at Silver Sands?

What are the waves like? (I can only bring one surfboard)

What about leaving excess gear on the beach? (I’m always hesitant to leave an extra kite and other equipment unsupervised, but never had anything taking to date)

Thanks

kite252
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Barbados - Silver Sands / Long Bay advise

Postby kite252 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:09 pm

i studied abroad in barbados a few years ago. depending where you are on the west coast a taxi will be about $50 each way so your call on renting a car...(i took a bus most days from UWI the uni on the island which cost me like $3 but took nearly 1.5 hours to get there and it was also on the west coast right up the hill from Batts Rock. There are a few spots to park at brian talma's action shop. Im sure he wouldn't mind that much as long as you gave him some business and don't take advantage of it.

I wouldn't worry about leaving the gear on the beach as I never had a problem at silver sands. Long bay is a little more remote so might have issues but still doubt it. The waves on the outside was generally waist-head hight, fairly mushy left. There is another little wave on the inside that can be fun too. If your only kiting and not surfing as well all you need is one board...have fun!

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby yzbob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 pm

i just spent 4 weeks there and loved it. i would suggest using Brians Action shop storage facility then u dont need to bother with a car or taxi. just jump in one of the crazy local minibuses every day that seem to stop everywhere every few minutes and cost US $1 that will b the cheapest solution and u really never wait more than 5 min for a bus. (depending on exactly where u stay) they are not too keen on carying ur gear on a daily basis though. the silversands beach was pretty safe for leaving boards, kites, harnesses on but if ur using Brians place for lunch or storage then even better to leave stuff up on the lawn. the only thing that might go missing from the beach is flip flops. best to keep them out of view in a bag.

long beach is more remote so might need to b more careful there.

enjoy! think i'll head back next yr.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 am

where would you recommend staying to be close to these spots, and have nice place for wife and boy of 8 that likes the ocean ?
we like casual and low key places.

what size kites in dec-feb time and with strapless surfeboard ?

milous master
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Garrylucas
Gear: RRD Obsession 10.5m
RRD Religion 7m

Postby milous master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 pm

You could try Zed's surf accomodation. I stayed there with my wife and kid and it was perfect. Our patio was right onto the beach. It also has a good little cafe which makes lunch easy! The accomodation has air con in the bedrooms too and wi fi

milous master
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Garrylucas
Gear: RRD Obsession 10.5m
RRD Religion 7m

Postby milous master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Sorry forgot to mention it is at surfers point. 5 mins away from silversands and a bonus point break opposite you for a sneacky session

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks

My hotel is already booked, staying with the extended family on the west side about 30 km north. I'd much rather be staying around silver sands, but not an option, so I'm doing the next best thing, planning my daily trek.

I've got to be nimble, get the site and back as quick as possible, so I'll drive or cab it, not sure which one just yet, but I'm leaning towards renting just so I can take off when I'm ready. I'll likely park at the Action shop and see with Brian if thats OK. I think there is no problem parking at the Long bay at the end of the road.

Will bring my fattish, flat surfboard if teh waves are mushy.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 am

Nicor

You are staying on the West Coast and planning to get back and forth each day to Silver Sands.

Be aware that the traffic in Barbados can be a nightmare. What you are thinking will be a half hour drive will be more like an hour or more. It is real bad if you travel within an hour or two of rush hour in the morning and afternoon. The only time you can zip around the island is at sunrise during the work week and before 8:30am on Saturday and Sunday. You can never zip around in the afternoon. Do not have firm dinner plans on windy days!

If you are doing your own driving you will get lost the first day or two. Add another half hour first trip. No big deal as you can only get but so lost on a small island but signage and directions will not be very clear.

Barbados is a great place and you will have fun but you will need patience and planning to get around. (Too bad the wind and waves do not always adhere to our plans!)

Next time check out Zed's place as recommended above and also www.barbados4u.com

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 am

robg wrote:Nicor

You are staying on the West Coast and planning to get back and forth each day to Silver Sands.

Be aware that the traffic in Barbados can be a nightmare. What you are thinking will be a half hour drive will be more like an hour or more. It is real bad if you travel within an hour or two of rush hour in the morning and afternoon. The only time you can zip around the island is at sunrise during the work week and before 8:30am on Saturday and Sunday. You can never zip around in the afternoon. Do not have firm dinner plans on windy days!

If you are doing your own driving you will get lost the first day or two. Add another half hour first trip. No big deal as you can only get but so lost on a small island but signage and directions will not be very clear.

Barbados is a great place and you will have fun but you will need patience and planning to get around. (Too bad the wind and waves do not always adhere to our plans!)

Next time check out Zed's place as recommended above and also www.barbados4u.com
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize Barbados has teh traffic issues that major cities have. I guess the best plan of attack is to head out early morning, and use the highway furthest from Bridgetown, Errol Barrow Highway? Get lost, ya I know about that, last time I was in St. lucia I got totally lost seaching for the kite spot and I was only travelling 15 km, but figuered it out after 30 min.

Trust me I'd be all over Zed's if I wasn't travelling with the inlaws. What you going to do...

MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia

Postby MikeYQM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 am

When are you headed down? Im leaving on the 26th!

Return to “Kitesurfing”