Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby S.A. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 am

Here's my 2c worth.

Should have moderate bar pressure. Light bar pressure sucks if you are dealing with big surf and taking a few hidings every now & again.

Kite must not stall through the turns at all. So many different "wave riding" conditions (on shore, cross shore, off shore, wave angles etc) that the kite needs to be versatile enough to handle slow turns in long drawn out bottom turns as well as super fast turns in snappy vertical slashes.

Don't lose all the power in the kite, as although most "strapless" riders seem to be bleating about less power, they can simply chose a smaller kite size. I ride both strapped and stapless depending on the conditions and a powerless kite would never make it into my quiver.

Must have outstanding upwind ability to get back into the lineup.

Don't ignore jumping ability as a criteria. Yes, you have other kites in your range that are more focussed on jumping, but I would hate a surf kite that didn't allow me to huck some decent air on the way back out.
Of course you have to compromise somewhere, but don't just wrte off this criteria. I love putting the TT riders at our break to shame every now'n again with some huge boosts.

Stability and downwind drift must be outstanding.

Getting the power delivery through the turns is one of the most critical factors IMHO. You don't want the power to suddenly kick in like a twostroke powerband, but rather to be consistent throughout the turn radius.
Not too hard, but still enough to pull through the bottom turns when riding strapped. Also, the bar feel/pressure must not fade or get vague through the turn. I want to be able to feel what the kite is doing at all times.

Hope that helps? :-)

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am

Fast responsive turning, smooth & predictable power throughout
Super stable with excellent drift
Quality solid construction but still light weight
Direct feeling very important, (pulleyless)
Good depower & quick easy relaunch
Upwind ability
3 strut
Trimming options to alter bar pressure, turning speed etc

:D

S.A.
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com

Postby S.A. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

Oh Ja,
The proposed sizing sounds suspect?

If you're going to have a 5m & a 12m then I think you need to have TWO sizes inbetween. An 8m/12m sizing option would leave many people out of the loop.

5m/8m/10m/12m
or
5m/8m/9m/11m(or12m)
or
5m/8m/11m

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 am

Well this post just gets wierdier...?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Whaooo guys thank you for all the info you just posted. Its going to be hard to put all these into one kite. The prototype we have has already some of these recommendation you already mentioned. Concerning the sizing I know 5/8/11 sounds better. So maybe we can have 5/8/11 meters and then if you want bigger we can always us the RENEGADE 13 LTD which is a very nice kite for the waves. Or maybe have 5/8/10/12 meter. I am just trying to get a wave quiver with few sizing.
Also what about the bag. Should we use a light weight and smaller bag or keep the same bags we have now?
Again Mr. S.A. and EastCC thank you for taking the time.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Geronimo79 wrote: Dimitri just thinks a full wave dedicated kite ads something for the true wave rider.
How do you define waveriding?

Do you want to 'kitesurf' the wave? Or do you want to 'surf' the wave? Those require different 'wave' kites. Having a fast turning kite is not of much importance when you 'surf' the wave. Im not a desingner but I assume if you drop the fast turning qualities, you could gain on other qualities, such as stability or a deeper position in the window. Goodluck on building a kite that can do it all!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm

You are 100% right Mr.blacktip. It is going to be hard to have a wave kite that can do all of these things that people are requesting. This is the reason why we have few different other models in our Epic line of kites. But any way Momi and I are doing our best in using all these inputs we are gathering from every body in order to come up with a great wave kite. But I know for sure that we are going to have to sacrifice few things in order to make the SURF kite the ultimate wave kite machine.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 pm

EastCC wrote:Direct feeling very important, (pulleyless)
What would be more important?
Relaunch or the pulleyless. Pulleys usually make it possible to have a faster relaunch.

The judge has pulleys in V bridle shape but most testers seem to say the kite is very direct.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Geronimo, sent you pm!
(New Blast Bus is coming :wink: )

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Postby jmopd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Mr. Dimitri, dont get me wrong, but do you like rabbits?
My home spot is very gusty, and they work very well on waves with a good direct feeling etc...

Return to “Kitesurfing”