Forum for kitesurfers
kas911
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boots CT vs OT

Postby kas911 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi there

Maybe getting a new pair of bindings for this season. But what do you think about closed toe VS open toe? What is most preferable for kiting, in a cold water climate? And I do not plan to hit any sliders.

I am leaning towards closed toe but have no idea why, except that i imagine it will be warmer :)

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boots CT vs OT

Postby Starsky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 pm

closed toe are great if your going to use em in cold water. Made that switch a few years back and have no regrets. My current pair are getting pretty beat and I'll for sure go close toe again.

Have had no problems with sand or shells any more than with open toe.

They definitely keep those toes warmer

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 am

Starsky wrote:
Have had no problems with sand or shells any more than with open toe.

They definitely keep those toes warmer
100%
besides CT is more safe for sure - who knows what the shit can swim in the water?

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Don't want to Hijack the thread, but quick question since its an OT vs CT boot thread.

To CT riders: do you have any problems with sand in the boots, what do you do? I got a pair of OT, mainly cause I kite the ocean and couldn't imagine kiting with sand in my boots from the beach start. Is this a problem for CT? what do you guys do, how does it work?

I don't have a climate problem, I'm in warm climate.
zloilyoha wrote:besides CT is more safe for sure - who knows what the shit can swim in the water?
And being new to Boots, how is CT safer?

Just curious. Tnx.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm

I am riding OT now but I am thinking of switching to CT mostly because I'm noticing my feet push deep into the boot when I land hard. Also due to the additional friction the edge of the boot actually starts cutting into my toes (which is obviously not that pleasant).

I guess that there will always be some sliding inside the boots but would gladly hear more feedback.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

pixelpedro wrote: To CT riders: do you have any problems with sand in the boots, what do you do? I got a pair of OT, mainly cause I kite the ocean and couldn't imagine kiting with sand in my boots from the beach start. Is this a problem for CT? what do you guys do, how does it work?
i´ve sand in the car, in the house.. that damn thing is everywhere

for the sand in the boots i just flush it with sea water before putting them on. It was never an issue

my main issue with CT is that I had to buy it online without any oppurtunity to ´try before you buy´

I get the same number as if it was a shoe and end up with a pair that´s a bit too tight. f*** annoying

guess there are thing who come with experience

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:26 pm

pixelpedro wrote:Don't want to Hijack the thread, but quick question since its an OT vs CT boot thread.

To CT riders: do you have any problems with sand in the boots, what do you do? I got a pair of OT, mainly cause I kite the ocean and couldn't imagine kiting with sand in my boots from the beach start. Is this a problem for CT? what do you guys do, how does it work?

I don't have a climate problem, I'm in warm climate.
zloilyoha wrote:besides CT is more safe for sure - who knows what the shit can swim in the water?
And being new to Boots, how is CT safer?

Just curious. Tnx.
Well its safer cause your toes are protected. Feet have also been forced out the open toe on gnarly landings with bad results. In closed toe the same screw up just jams your toes somethin fierce.... either way, dont be one of those guys who rides around all loose laced, cinch up.

And water sloshes sand up into open toe much more easily. In a CT you gotta have sand wash up and in through the top where that open toe is a big way in when your board is sitting in sand.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

nherbold wrote:I am riding OT now but I am thinking of switching to CT mostly because I'm noticing my feet push deep into the boot when I land hard. Also due to the additional friction the edge of the boot actually starts cutting into my toes (which is obviously not that pleasant).

I guess that there will always be some sliding inside the boots but would gladly hear more feedback.
OT suck just because of this reason. I switched and not even looking back. Friend broke his foot at the cable park from this on an air trick as well.

vrossi46
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: PRASONISI RHODES GREECE , PAROS-KITE GREECE , AG.ANDREAS KITE BEACH GREECE
Style: GREEK :)
Gear: BLADE KITES , ABOARDS KITEBOARDING/SNOWKITE BOARDS

Postby vrossi46 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm

i rode on CT bindings for a year and now iam riding OT and i love them.

+
OT bindings are lighter than CT
you dont have to stop your session for cleaning up your bindings from sand and rocks

never injured toes in hard landings
with a neoprene sock you can be same warm as in CT bindings

i can't find cons
maybe the only cons for the OT binding is that you can't tight them up as tight as the CT bindings to make sure none of your feet is coming out

George

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:55 pm

You edge harder with CT, since you can use your toes for a little extra leverage.

Return to “Kitesurfing”