Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Holbox Kiteboarding, or not.

Postby saildawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 pm

As of yesterday kiting is officialy banned on Isla Holbox from Punta Coco to Punta Mosquito. This leaves Playa Ensenada, about 1hour and 20 minute walk from the north pier, as the only area to kite. Playa Ensenada is beautiful and a great location in winds that do not come from SE, S or SW. Planning on a kite vacation? Don't come to the Isla for now. Hope things change but who knows? I'm now looking for a new location after years of good times and good winds here on Holbox

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake

Re: Holbox Kiteboarding, or not.

Postby saildawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 pm

It is possible to rent a boat rather than walking to Playa Ensenada, I don't mind the walk myself.

Garretth
Rare Poster

Postby Garretth » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:13 am

Hey saildawg, do you know if this is still possible? I was dismayed (to say the least) to learn that the ban is still in effect, as I'm headed there for 8 days next week and the entire point of the trip was to learn how to kite board.

I have no problem with an hour walk or renting a boat, but I've got my heart set on learning to kite board on this trip. I spoke to an instructor today out of Casa Tortuga and he didn't seem to think you could kite anywhere on the island.

Thanks,
G

saildawg
Medium Poster

Postby saildawg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Yes you can kite Holbox. I am surprised to hear that someone from Casa Tortugas said no. Kiting is allowed on Playa Ensenada which is good about 70% of the time. The past week was south wind though which is not good for kiting. Isla Blanca and Tulum are both good in south and south-east winds.
Fair winds and happy kiting!

Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot

Postby Jdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

why is it banned to kite ?

saildawg
Medium Poster

Postby saildawg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

The ban, which covers all but one beach, was imposed for several reasons. 1: is that an increasing number of visiting kiters do not respect that beaches are for everyone to enjoy. Example: I have witnessed as many as 4 kites pumped for one kiter who seemed to think that covering the beach was his right. Jumping next to fishing boats with people working on them. Jumping close to the beach and crashing kite into people walking. 2: not respecting the rules in place to reduce distress to wildlife, particularly birds. I had a rider react very rudely when I pointed out he was in a no ride zone because of flamingo population. His response to me was, "I don't care I'm only here for 2 days." 3: There has been allot of misinformation spread regarding kite safety. A small group of very vocal Holboxians has made it their cause to demonize kiting. This same group feels that kiteboarders don't spend enough money on taxis, boats, and other local business'; this. to say the least, is absurd.
The situation has calmed and cooler heads are working together to solve this.
The moral of the story: Respect the area and people you are kiting in and around.

kingchai
Rare Poster
Local Beach: cherry beach toronto
Gear: 09 slingshot rpm 12m
09 slingshot rpm 10m
08 cabrinha switchblade 8m
10 epic renegade 6m
nobile 555 141cm
cabrinha custom 133cm

Postby kingchai » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm

thanks Saildawg. i too am going to Holbox tomorrow, April 17th, 2013. So, the big question is, do I bring my gear from Toronto? I'll be staying at Tortugas. Another question, if I do bring the gear, which size kites should I bring? do i need small gear/wetsuit/surfboard? is it a hassle to set up a boat trip? Garreth, my name is Bennett, so I'll watch out for you at Tortugas. If I'm not at Tortugas, I'll be at Casa Takywara. If we can figure out the mess, hopefully I can give you some kiting tips. But I don't want to haul my gear there for nothing, of course. my email is bennettmills@yahoo.ca

saildawg
Medium Poster

Postby saildawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:35 pm

KC, At 80kg I use a 12 or 10 on the isla. You can rent gear at Casa Tortugas and boat rides can be arranged there or at Tribu Hostel. Winds look good for Playa Ensenada if Wind guru is correct. Playa Ensenada does have a fun stretch for surfboards with east and ese winds and good riding in N, NE, SE becomes off shore. No wetsuit, board shorts and a rash guard are all that's needed. I would suggest some seaspecs or similar eyewear as the light reflection can be pretty brutal. Have fun, wish I was still there!

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm

This sucks, never been, but it was in my places to go, I've hear is gorgeous out there.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 am

Last posts on this thread seem to be April 2013... is there an update .... I want to go
mid november... what's the rule?

Return to “Kitesurfing”