Danydan
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board with leftovers!!!

Postby Danydan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 pm

I was wondering what is the best option in order to take advantage of corecell leftovers???

I have seen the videos from Peter (Foam n Fiber), which were very interesting and helpful, and I noticed that he glued some corecell to the nose and tai. That being said, what about joining two part of the same lenght in the middle? Would it be better to have the two parts glue together on the lenght or on the width?

Will that glue in the middle become the ''weakess" point of the board and the likely spot for breakage under normal pressure (jumps)?

Thanks for your help.

Dany

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board with leftovers!!!

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:10 am

Hey Dany, in theory the foam keeps the fibreglass apart at the right spacing and the structural strength of the foam in bending does not add much to the board strength. This means that you might get away with the foam seam anywhere. However, I can usually see the slight imperfection in the outside of the board at a joint. I would think that if the board was stressed enough the different hardness at the joint causing the skin imperfection could be a stress point for the skin, and be the weakest part in the area. So, in theory, a lengthwise joint would probably be less of an issue than a joint across the board. If the board is not being really highly stressed though, I suspect that any joint anywhere would work.

Peter

Return to “Gear Builders”