Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

(correction) GoPro3 Black - still fogging problems!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Re: (correction) GoPro3 Black - still fogging problems!!!

Postby leepasty » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:26 pm

so how many peoples Go Pro 3 Black fogs?
heard loads of people saying no fogging problems but then here it looks like a problem?
even read somewhere that 1 guy sent his back as it fogged go pro fixed it and no more fogging issues, was a small leak or something on the seal?

just about to buy one but really hate the fogging. missed so much epic wave footage with my gp2 cause it was foggy and dont want to spend this much if still the same!

so is it just a few fogging issues and most people are happy with non fogging GP3 blacks?
or they all fog and i should keep my hard earned cash and get a new board instead?

really want it for the remote function so can turn off and between vid/photo when in lines and on harness mount, as well as the footage and low light looks so much better than GP2 and others on market
thanks for your input
lee

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

leepasty wrote:so how many peoples Go Pro 3 Black fogs?
heard loads of people saying no fogging problems but then here it looks like a problem?
even read somewhere that 1 guy sent his back as it fogged go pro fixed it and no more fogging issues, was a small leak or something on the seal?

just about to buy one but really hate the fogging. missed so much epic wave footage with my gp2 cause it was foggy and dont want to spend this much if still the same!

so is it just a few fogging issues and most people are happy with non fogging GP3 blacks?
or they all fog and i should keep my hard earned cash and get a new board instead?

I haven't had a significant fogging issues with any of my GoPros.

When I started to see some fogging on my GP2 last year, I started to use the fog strips that GP sells and it went away. The downside of those strips is they break apart and leave a lot of dust inside your case you have to clean out.

Maybe I don't use it as much as you guys, or maybe it is because I keep the case closed when not in use and I also let it acclimate to temperature before I use it. (i.e. I don't take it out of a cold air conditioned house and expect it to fire up with no issues in the tropics.)

But I could just be lucky. I don't doubt there are issues, I'm just saying they have not deterred me from using the camera.
leepasty wrote:...harness mount, as well as the footage and low light looks so much better than GP2 and others on market
thanks for your input
lee
I have found that the GP3 Black does not have the wifi range to work via remote when kite mounted. Likely the line mount would be fine.

deanrobi
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby deanrobi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:54 am

You should have no problems using the wifi controller on a GP3 Black, i took this shot using the wifi controller and a GP3 Blk. as it was new i tested it out the beach before launching and i walk away from the kite about the distance of my bar and lines again and it still worked find. I have 23m lines so that would have been around 46m and no problems
Attachments
463158_361172843941458_223640597_o.jpg

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

deanrobi wrote:You should have no problems using the wifi controller on a GP3 Black, i took this shot using the wifi controller and a GP3 Blk. as it was new i tested it out the beach before launching and i walk away from the kite about the distance of my bar and lines again and it still worked find. I have 23m lines so that would have been around 46m and no problems
Did it work for your entire session?
I can get it to work initially (turn the camera on) but after 15 minutes or so the remote and camera lose sync. It isn't a battery issue. The camera ends up staying on in whatever mode it was last in and the remote never regains sync. Glad to hear it is possible for you, though. It is the best feature for kiteboarding.

deanrobi
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby deanrobi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am

Yeah it did as it was my first session with the new GPH3 i basically when thru a whole lot of settings so as I could check the video/photos and see what was the best setting. I had it under a bit of pressure I guess. I got around about an hour out of the battery in the remote before it went flat. the camera went for another 40mins.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:06 pm

I just use a small section of paper towel well away from the seals and generally close it in AC. As a result, I almost never have fogging. Regarding pulling a vacuum on the housing, it is fairly straight forward. Some underwater camera housings have had Shreader Valves on them for many decades for that purpose. I wouldn't bother with it myself as the towels do the job for me. Still, if you wanted to do it, installing one with an o-ring face seal wouldn't take that long. I am not sure what, if any, impact this would have on the unusual and normally bomb proof and virtually maintenance-free gasket seal on the GoPro housing. It is worth evaluating first however.

http://www.polyperformance.com/

Regarding the Contour being a good solution, I have one with one use you can have at a good price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”