Forum for kitesurfers
FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Trimming kite more forward in the window

Postby FrederikS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Guys,
I have some Takoon 2010 Chrono kites and they fly alright but for racing I would like it to sit more forward in the window.

Do any of you have a guide for trimming bridles or some helpful tips?

The kite has pulleys on both front and rear connections my idea was to block some of the travel and then check what the impact is, but I would like a little knowledge before doing that.

Thanks for looking! Any recommendations are welcome!

Cheers,
Frederik

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Trimming kite more forward in the window

Postby Tone » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

you are going to want to shorten the front bridles to make the kite fly forward. This in turn will make the kite more unstable and prone to luffing.

It's probably not worth messing about with as you may make the kites fly dangerous.

Sorry I can't be more help.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I think it is possible to push it a bit on the Chronos since they are really far back in the window and their profile is not that much different from other 2011-2012 kites that perform better in this regard. I will of course be very careful and do small trims at a time to map the progress!

lander
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm

If point B is your frontline connection, then you can ajust the bridle d and c. To get the kite more forward you can shorten c and more backwards you can shorten d.
Good luck
Attachments
Udklip.JPG
Udklip.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:05 pm

lander wrote:If point B is your frontline connection, then you can ajust the bridle d and c. To get the kite more forward you can shorten c and more backwards you can shorten d.
Good luck
Super info! Just what I was looking for :)

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:43 am

Shorten the front lines
Push bar away from you
= same result :o

You can only achieve so much with this method.
At the end of the day if the design of the kite is such that it sits further back in the window don't expect miracles by shortening the front lines and still have good performance.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 am

wdric wrote:Shorten the front lines
Push bar away from you
= same result :o

You can only achieve so much with this method.
At the end of the day if the design of the kite is such that it sits further back in the window don't expect miracles by shortening the front lines and still have good performance.
It's not the same thing. When you adjust the bridle you're changing the effective point of where the front lines go to on the leading edge. Imagine and extreme example where you remove the bridle and attach both front line to the centre of the kite, say the pump loop. Your kite probably won't fly now because it's angle of attack will be so low the it will flap around on the beach. Now move the front line back to a few inches above the break lines. The kite will probably just stall all the time, or maybe fly fully powered. I don't suggest trying this, just think about what would happen if you did. The other posters are suggesting a much more subtle version of the above. RRD kites come with this adjustment on them, some others might too. It's true you can't really do much about the shape of the kite, and it's not going to fly well if it's more depowered than the max it was designed for, but I still say you can get something out of it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am

wdric I'm sure you have noticed if push the bar all the way out, it is impossible to turn the kite. Even though you have a small angle of attack there's no tension on the rear lines. Modifying the bridle allows you to tip the kite with a better angle of attack while moving tension back to the rear lines, so the kite will feel responsive. I think ozchrisb and me are saying the same thing but with different words.

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I am quite aware that it will not turn them into thoroughbred race kites, however, just a little more forward will make them just a little bit better which is all I am looking for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”