Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Depower Ropes Tension after changing the Adjuster (ESP bar)

Forum for kitesurfers
aetos1986
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Depower Ropes Tension after changing the Adjuster (ESP bar)

Postby aetos1986 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I recently changed the adjuster on my Core ESP Bar. Its wasn't so obvious and easy to do it and I wonder why Core hasn't any relative video.

Please have a look on the Bowline knots and tell me if they look right.

Today I tested my bar (after tied the lines in a fence) and I found that the greater (almost all) tension of the center lines went through the red line, which is connected with the leash and is used when you activate the quick release. The actual depower ropes on the center of the bar were not under tension when I had the adjuster on full power. So, I shorten them both (feeding the rope through the bowline knot) to have more tension and take the tension of the two center lines which are connected with the kite. So, the red line do not take all the tension but it's still under much tension. Can you give me your lights and tell me if the red line has to take any tension and how much when the adjuster is in full power? The same amount as the two depower ropes, less or none?

The thing is that now the depower ropes are shorter compare it with the original state (maybe about 1-1.5 cm). So, I don't know which is the right and the safer choice.

I forgot to tell you one significant detail if you are not familiar with Core ESP bar. The red line can be stretched as seen on the photo.

Please have a look on the photos.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Attachments
20130412_220440.jpg
I removed the red line to put the new ESP adjuster.
20130418_195341.jpg
20130418_195231.jpg
20130418_195224.jpg
20130418_195218.jpg
20130418_195201.jpg

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Depower Ropes Tension after changing the Adjuster (ESP b

Postby robertovillate » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am

If you hook all 4 lines to a stationary object and and then pull the bar back all lines should be equally tensioned with the depower strap released all the way (aka full power).

The red line with the bungy should also be stretched out to the point it is not sagging too much but definitely not so there is more tension on the red line than on the center lines, only very slight tension. Otherwise the redline will constantly pull the nose of the kite down (= depower and stall) especially in light wind when just a little tension from the bungie can effect the kite.

The bowline knot is the correct knot to use, but you will have to fiddle with it because the rope length will vary depending on exactly how you tie the knot.

Take your time, and do this systematically and you should be able to get it sorted.

aetos1986
Rare Poster

Postby aetos1986 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 pm

First of all, it's my mistake that I said Core doesn't has any relative video how to change the adjuster.
Here is the video' go on the 5th minute.

"robertovillate" thanks for your help. Using the bowline knots as there are on the video and your tip which is logical, I will manage to make it right and don't have the red line much stretched.

aetos1986
Rare Poster

Postby aetos1986 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 pm

I finally made from the beginning the bowline knots as are on the video but the red line continued to be full stretched... I didn't want to reduce more the length of the depower ropes, so I changed the small yellow pigtail where the yellow line is connected on the depower strap/adjuster. The yellow line is the line that connects the two center lines of the kite with the adjuster, then the depower ropes and then the chicken loop. I replaced the yellow pigtail with a smaller grey pigtail which has pre-set knots. I connected the yellow line with the second knot as you can see on the photos. Then I adjusted the back lines making a new knot on the lines connected on the bar. You can see the result on the photos.

Some questions:
The extra length of the red line that remains unstretched is enough?
The grey pigtail is a bit thinner than the original yellow pigtail. Do you think that will make a difference and a safety issue?
Attachments
20130420_154549.jpg
20130420_154524.jpg
20130420_152743.jpg
20130420_152733.jpg
20130420_152716.jpg
Here you can see the extra length of the red line, that you have to pull, to make the line full stretched.
20130420_150240.jpg
20130420_150233.jpg

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:12 pm

aetos,
It looks like you have it sorted.

My impression from your first photos of your bowlines was that you had shortened the overall centerline length too much, because there appeared to be a lot of "tail" on the knots.

I had modified my ESP bar (to have a back-line flag line w/O-shit handle) and I had to add some pigtail extension with knot adjustment on the centerline assembly, similar too what you have done with the grey line in your photo. Your grey line looks plenty strong enough for the application and there should not be any concern from what I can see.

The bungie inside the mini-fifth redline is there so that you do not have excessive slack of that line when you depower. It helps to keep the lines from twisting around each other, but it's never been a problem for me.

The ESP bar is nice, and I still own one - but I am now using the Sensor bar. If you like the ESP bar you would probably love the Sensor bar. At the same time that they have some similarities in materials and quality - they are very different in design.

I

aetos1986
Rare Poster

Postby aetos1986 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for your help. I never had any problem with my ESP bar. I like it and I think that is one of the best bars on the market (I have tried 8 different bars including ESP bar - I've owned many kites in different brands). Two friends of mine have the Sensor bar but till now I haven't tried it. Be sure that I will do it the very next time :) It's for sure a very good bar and different from ESP. I don't know if I will love it but I will give it a try.

Thanks again and ride safe :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”