Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Review of sub 5m2 kites

Forum for kitesurfers
silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review of sub 5m2 kites

Postby silversurfer_no » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 am

Normally I try to get away with using my North Fuse quiver with the 5m2 being the smallest. It does get scary on the (rocky) beaches when launching and landing though once the wind approaches 40 knots. I also feel the kite has more lift than what is needed on the fresh days as jumping in not priority 1 when the wind peaks 40.

I also have an old Naish Cult 4,5m] that I have used when very heavy. Nice for waveriding but totally lacks jumping ability, not even enough to jump waves going out.

At the moment trying to get hold of a proper 4m2 kite or so but not easy. Seems like most kites stop at 5m2.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Re: Review of sub 5m2 kites

Postby jmopd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 am

If you can get a Eclipsse Kima 4 m, it will do the job

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 am

I have the 2011Cabrinha Nomad 4M, I only used it one time when the wind was 30 knots.

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Had the chance to ride the Bandit6 5m at 35+ knots gusting to over 40 knots. I weigh 168 pounds and had a lot of fun with it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree - it is REALLY difficult to find good wavekites around 4-5m2 :o

Most 5m2 kites today, are downscaled bigger sizes, which works good for super light riders and for freestyle.

But for waveriding they all suck bigtime IMO, as they should have made a very different profile so it can be controlled and depowered much more - as when you go down the line in waves, then the wind speed makes 4-5m2 kites impossible to fly "low" without you having to make a bigger radius and then you can not ride freely :(

So with an aggresive style like that, which is used by many, and especially if the wind is a bit side-on, ALL 5m2 kites I've tried today, has way too much power and no good.

F.ex the Naish Bolt :( And the Takoon Reflex :( And the Wainmans :(
And I could go on...

I think the only one I've seen which are not made anymore, was the Takoon Enova2 from 2008 which was awesome in this respect, and we were many wave guys holding on to this very kite in the 5m2 till they wore out after many years of use (mine died after 5 years of intense use).

Sadly no newer kites has been able to replace :-?

And NO, it is not a matter of taking a smaller kite :roll:

When you ride with big kites, 9m2 and maybe bigger, it does not matter that much how they depower (unless you got huge waves).

And with medium wave kite sizes around 6-8m2, the good okay depowerable ones many brands offer, fits the bill just perfect IMO.

But for small kites, 4-5m2 they need extreme depower to work the same way as the bigger ones - in waves 8)

Otherwise you have to change your technique by a huge margin, whenever you go from a medium kite to a small kite, and back (and you often do this back and fourth on the same day when the wind changes a bit or is just in between).
Meaning, you have to fly the small kites higher - which will ruin your freedom and backbone kite skills will be destroyed :x

Low end small kites SUCKS IMO, and useless for most wave kitesurfers :-?

The problem is, that the brands dont sell that many kites in these sizes, so not much focus on these, and definitely no variation, as they dont make money on "optimizing" these for waveriders.
For wave kitesurfers in low pressure areas, kites between 4 and 8m2 is the most and maybe only used sizes for the average 75-80kg rider, so a bit of a bummer not being able to get a good wavekite for this.

There are a few who prefer low end small kites, but only a small fraction of the waveriders.

I wish we could get the brands to change strategy - but as most kites are sold to "non - waveriders" I dont think it is possible :roll:

:D Peter

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Maybe an Epic Renegade Junior Pro 4m. Its a full Renegade (wave/allround) kite.

I've seen a 3m waroo but doubt thats what you looking for.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Last edited by rtz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

luke11
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River

Postby luke11 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:04 pm

The Cabrinha Switchblade. 4m. I have used this kite extensively in waves from Maui to the U.S. West Coast. It totally rocks. Lots of de-power and great low end. If the wind is blowing steady, then it can be used in wind as light as 20. And of course, as high as 60. Handles like a dream. Cabrinha did not make a Switchblade 4m for their 2013 line-up and received a bunch of comments from people wanting it back. So, find your self a 2010-2012 4m and you will not regret it. :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Exactly - thats the problem....

If you got a kite with great low end it CAN NOT have lots of depower :(

This is mutually exclusive unfortunately, no matter what PR tells us :x

:roll: Peter

fstdude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tiber Resevoir, Mission Lake, The gorge.
Gear: North Rebel, Jimmy Lewis surf board, Slingshot hovercraft with Alien Aire.

Postby fstdude » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:47 am

Surprized nobody mentioned the Slingshot 5M Turbo 3 or Turbo 2 kites. I fly mine with a 1-1 bar and still depowers totally and just floats out in front of you when you bear off downwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”