Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?

Forum for kitesurfers
davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: just cant nail that damn tack... any tips?

Postby davesails7 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 pm

On a sailboat, if the boat is trying to head downwind too much you rake the mast back to put the center of effort further aft. Sounds like your pushing on the board too far forward. I would try moving your straps back on the board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

thanks for this. the gybe on a broad reach is an issue. I guess I just gotta go for it, but find it hard to pull the trigger when I am going with speed...probably mostly in my head.

anyways, I have not been out on my raceboard in months..time to get cracking again...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:58 pm

tautologies wrote:thanks for this. the gybe on a broad reach is an issue. I guess I just gotta go for it, but find it hard to pull the trigger when I am going with speed...probably mostly in my head.

anyways, I have not been out on my raceboard in months..time to get cracking again...
Hi,

Once you initiate the downloop and bear even more off the wind, you will slow done anyways. The tension from the lines will go as you are heading towards the kite.

So basically, just go for it. Stay loose in the knees to absorb the board bouncing if its really choppy.

--
Gunnar

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Toby - this is really good stuff inbthis thread and the chop thread referenced earlier!
Any way to get it into the wiki?
(Have not looked at the wiki in a year so maybe it isnt really being used? - if it tho this info is great)
Thanks - finally got my first gybes this week :D :D

billymayerkite
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby billymayerkite » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 pm

knot_moving wrote:Toby - this is really good stuff inbthis thread and the chop thread referenced earlier!
Any way to get it into the wiki?
(Have not looked at the wiki in a year so maybe it isnt really being used? - if it tho this info is great)
Thanks - finally got my first gybes this week :D :D
i agree, great info. on race boars! how many sessions did it take you to nail them?

adamharr
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby adamharr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi,

That sounds like a combination of too big fins and to big kite for the conditions.

If you can use a kite size smaller. If not, you need to slow down and point as high as possible.

Are you using a race bar with a 4-1 Adjuster? If not, you should be. This will allow you to depower the kite in gusts without having to lean towards the kite.

Another way to get the board pointing higher and to slow down a bit is to move your heel of your back foot even more forward. You toes stay in the strap, but your heel is about 5-10cm up the rail. Your foot will be almost sideways.

What size fins are you on and how much do you weigh?

--
Gunnar[/quote]

Thank you very much again gunnar, i will defentely use this advise in todays session i normally train in windy with my 9m i weight about 65 kilos and use 42cm and 38 rear trctonics.

Those videos are great! Maybe also some penaltie turns, a top mark turn with loop, a race start, how to avoid tangles, how to get out of a tangle just ideas...
Cheers, Adam[/quote]

Hi Adam,

There is your problem. 65kg and on 42cm fins. I am 78kg and on 42's as my big set at the moment. When it's windy I use 41 or 40 cm.

You will need smaller fins for those hardcore conditions. Kai Hopf from Meanline fins makes some great high wind fins that sacrifice a bit of performance, but give you a lot more control in choppy windy conditions. Might be an option for you. I would recommend you use nothing bigger than 40s at your wight for strong winds.

I got some Video footage today of penalty turns, so might edit that up today. Also got gybes.

What do you mean with a "top mark turn with loop" do you mean rounding the top mark and then looping the kite to get the board pointing on a downwind course?

Race start is something I cannot film, and there are already a bunch of videos of Adam Koch and Johnny talking about that.

--
Gunnar[/quote]
gunnar will you be in mexico for the pkra slalom i will like to meet you more in my hometown!
cheers see you in May maybe?

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 am

Too many!! I dont have the greatest balance in the world - i would say it took me more than 10 sessions. About 3-5 to be riding the board upwind, 3-5 learning to start balancing off the wind and getting my feet out of the straps, then at least 5 sessions learning to turn board and shift my feet - still only getting it 1 out of 3 times in smooth water but learning is going faster every time out. Most will learn faster i am sure but not something i worry about

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knot_moving » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 am

Too many!! I dont have the greatest balance in the world - i would say it took me more than 10 sessions. About 3-5 to be riding the board upwind, 3-5 learning to start balancing off the wind and getting my feet out of the straps, then at least 5 sessions learning to turn board and shift my feet - still only getting it 1 out of 3 times in smooth water but learning is going faster every time out. Most will learn faster i am sure but not something i worry about

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am

Video from the kite showing an actual PKRA race (including the start) with commentary.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi adamharr.

I will be un Puerto Vallarta for the PKRA Slalom. See you there.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”