Forum for kitesurfers
JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite gear voting and independent rating

Postby JamesVegas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I don't think there is unfortunately, these things are always open to manipulation and abuse. Best thing is to try as much stuff as possible IMO.

Good luck if you go for it though, I'll watch it with interest.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm

With e-voting you need to find balance between
1) minimal effort required to vote
2) credibility of results

If you give right to vote people without FB account, you will have lots of noise in results. If you ask people to prove themselves real, you have to make them do something (having FB account for example). Its like

More effort to vote → Less voters, but better results
Less effort to vote → More voters, more noise

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Go with it, lets see what happens

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm

BigPaul, yep! Just want to gather some feedback first, how to make it proper way.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

It's an interesting idea, but I think you're trying to quantify what are qualitative assessments. One person's impression of what is 'good' for wakestyle might be completely different than another's. For example, a lighter rider might prefer a more flexible board where a heavier rider may prefer something stiffer, or vice versa.

It all comes down to personal preference, and I'm unsure of the utility of rankings even within specific categories (unless you get *very* specific--which creates its own challenges). Just because a certain board is found to be 'best' for a certain discipline doesn't mean it will be right for my application. The number one ranked freeride board might suck for me because my spots have tons of chop.

Further, what happens when you try a new piece of equipment and it is your new favourite? Has your old favourite gotten any worse? Of course not; but maybe your preferences have changed, or maybe the new item is simply better for your particular needs.

All the negativity aside, I *do* see the utility in something like an OkCupid for gear. You fill your profile with your personal info (weight, height) and the types of conditions you ride in (different sets for different locations). You then provide ratings on how your gear performs in those conditions. So when it comes time for an upgrade, you could find what works best for other people of your size in similar conditions. This is of course orders of magnitude more complicated than what you initially suggested and would require a critical mass of dedicated people to make it useful.

Imagine all the cool data you could derive though! Stuff like, "People around the great lakes like kites with a lot of depower for their gusty frontal winds." or "Heavy dudes in Hood River prefer directionals with a lot of rocker."

Hopefully that contributes something to the discussion. :)

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

For over a decade I have run a alpine snowboard website that we just closed down. In the past we tried to establish a "review and compare section". There was only one real problem and that was the reviewers level of comparison.

Most of the time someone would comment how amazing their gear is for them but had not ridden more then one or maybe two comparable products. So they would say. "my super awesome thingy is the best, cuz it makes me happy and works at my spot" which is great but not everyone uses their spot and has their needs.

I would imagine the same would hold true with kite gear. My wind is different then your, my chop or wave is different, etc.

Good luck

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm

It will be like in the mags:

Sponsored riders give 5 stars.
Few normal riders honestly rate it.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Wasn't this how Facebook started? A rating system for hot college chicks?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm

JamesVegas wrote:I don't think there is unfortunately, these things are always open to manipulation and abuse. Best thing is to try as much stuff as possible IMO.

Good luck if you go for it though, I'll watch it with interest.
I agree. There are more ways to check, but effort it takes to implement is not worth it....and people really do not have enough motivation to go through those hoops...but simple things like IP checking, and email address.

Dandaka: I have multiple FB accounts (for app development). I would not bother to vote many times of course, but you're not safe from that as problem if someone feels they gain from it (see people on KF posting with multiple accounts).

I think Billy B. Is hitting the nail on the head...and it was mentioned earlier in the thread...riding a kite for 30 mins does not really give you a perfect way to compare...people will pick the kite they are used to riding..also because they have not ridden other brands....so brands that have a huge online presence will lead that popularity contest.

This is why I think writeups are good. I think the magazines does a decent job. You know that they really cater to their sponsors, but that is fine.

I am not trying to dissuade you from doing this, I would be very interested in seeing your implementation. I think the method you picked is interesting, but you have to agree that unless you create a model where the outset is even for participants..ie that people who rank gear have actually ridden it. It would make the process more complex, but doable..so that would mean riders have to pick what gear they have ridden for each of the dimensions you are interested in looking at (wave. tt, flat, tricks etc etc.), then for each of these dimensions rank order the kites).

skinnergy
Medium Poster

Postby skinnergy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:42 am

When looking for new gear i believe only my friends and my own opinion after testing.
No mag review, kite video, or world champ will make me buy a kite... But they will make me test one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”