Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone tried the lagoons on Fuerteventura?

Forum for kitesurfers
Antarezz
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone tried the lagoons on Fuerteventura?

Postby Antarezz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am

Telekiter wrote:Are we talking about the same "La Pared"? We took a drive down ther and getting safely across the mountain pass down to La Pared was at least 30-45 min driving. Then the conditions!! O myyyy, horrific waves, breaking all over the place. For my limited skills of waves if was a big NOOOO, NOOO to go out in that "Water-Hell". It would certainly have killed me kiting there, no kidding!

/Urban.

Almost all spots in Fuerte too extreme for beginners definitely and not for kiters who used to ride in swamps. :))

silversurfer_no
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vargas, Pozo, Punta Maspalomas, Burras
Style: Waveriding
Gear: North/Duotone Neo (3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10)
ProWam 5’10”
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby silversurfer_no » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

Telekiter:

I don't know about any mountain pass going to La Pared but from Sotavento ("shitaviento" as it as known as here on Gran Canaria) I agree it is more like 45 minutes. Not really a great place to kitesurf as the wind tends to be fairly bad close to shore. Nice waves though, bring your surfboard.

For a long drive across a mountain pass you might be referring to Cofete which is a long 4WD trip and very remote.

Otherwise I can confirm that the Cotillo lagoons are beautifull but if you are not an early bird on days with early high tide you might as well forget about them as more than 3 is a crowd.

My buddy Cato has posted some nice videos with info about the Fuerte north coast spots:

http://catothekiter.com/2012/07/02/full ... teventura/

Aloha,

Ole

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 am

Telekiter wrote:Are we talking about the same "La Pared"? We took a drive down ther and getting safely across the mountain pass down to La Pared was at least 30-45 min driving. Then the conditions!! O myyyy, horrific waves, breaking all over the place. For my limited skills of waves if was a big NOOOO, NOOO to go out in that "Water-Hell". It would certainly have killed me kiting there, no kidding!

/Urban.
Not sure what road you took, but it should not take you that long.

When where you there? I can get a bit sketchy in the Winter with big swell, but in the summer the conditions are pretty good and suitable for a wide range if skills.

I personally would not recommend Novices to go to the Lagoons at Cotillo.

It's basically like kiting in a tiny pool that is surrounded by razor-sharp Rocks and upwind of a road and usually occupied by wannabe Pro kiters who have no regard for their own or anyone else's safety.

Also it is officially prohibited to exercise any watersports there. It's only tolerated in the Winter months.

--
Gunnar

Eagle-Jan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Slufter, Autostrand, Porto Pollo
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, MV2 ,Autostrand (NL). Porto Pollo, Stintino, Rena Majori, Funtana Meiga, Sardinia (I)
Witsands, Scarborough, Hermanus, Olifants bos (S.A).
Kingfisher, Cuyo, Qi-Palawan, Guimaras, Coron (PH).
El Cotillo, faro del Toston, Majanicho, Glass beach, Puerto Lajas. (FUE)
Style: freeride, oldschool, wave
Gear: Kites: Naish Park 2013 7/8/9/10.

boards: Naish thorn 2007 131, Monarch 2014 132 Custom global, 6’0

harness: ION apex 2017.

wetsuits, mystic crossfier 3.2 shortsleave, Xcell Xflex 5.4.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eagle-Jan » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 am

hi guys,

Question: how illegal is it really, to go kiting in the north shore lagoons? :o I kited there last october/november.... no signs of guardia civil chasing people off on any of those days. They would drive by stop, and enjoyed looking @ my kiteloops, smile and wave and then carry on.

By chance, I happen to be in Corralejo again now and will be staying till the end of june. what are the odds of the guardia herassing a happy kiter now? Offcourse going out there in the weekends is not done. :jump: :roll:

Btw I do agree on that Fuerte is not a beginners kitesurf destination, sotavento sucks big time, unless you really want to get torn apart..
Also (as an experienced instructor, with 14 years in the business) I strongly reccomend not to take kitelessons anywere on Fuerte, a total tourist rip off, you learn next to nothing and safety standards are below key. :nono:

As for the more experienced dudes and dudettes amongst us, Fuerte is a wallhalla!!! Every thing from 3 to10 m waves down to butter flat and pumping winds of above 25 kts. It really has become my favourite European kite holiday destination. Hasta la huego y buenas olas! :allbegood:

Return to “Kitesurfing”