Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board selection advice for 200lb beginner please!

Forum for kitesurfers
neb_16
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board selection advice for 200lb beginner please!

Postby neb_16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to the world of kiteboarding and this forum, but have been using you guys as a reference for months. I am having a hard time finding concrete info on board sizing and was hoping you guys would help me out.

I am 200lbs, and will be kiteboarding off cleveland in Lake Erie. I fly a slingshot machine 17.5, and have a lot of experience wakeboarding, snowboarding etc. Being the great lakes, the wind varies quite a bit. However, I will most likely be flying in 10-14 knot wind most days, maybe the occasional 18+. I am not looking to get too crazy into jumping (but wouldn't mind having the ability to progress to that), etc, and would just like a board that would let me get out and ride as often as possible with the varying wind conditions. I have had people suggest everything from 135cm boards all the way up to 180s. I tend to pick things up fairly quickly, and am not as concerned with the boards "easyness to ride" as I am with the board's ability to be ridden in a range of conditions.

I would LOVE a cabrinha prodigy 148, but I am having a hard time coming across one. There are currently a couple Naish thorn 141tt boards on ebay for a decent price... Would that be too small for my weight and wind conditions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

PS... If any of you guys have a board you a looking to sell, let me know!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Board selection advice for 200lb beginner please!

Postby bigwave » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey, welcome to the forum. As you have probably figured out,there is a lot of information here and other forums regarding equipment choices. As a retailer of kitesurfing equipment, we get this type of question a lot. My advice would be to focus more on width than the length of a board. At your weight (mine too) the numbers that I have found that work well are 44,46,and 48cm. The length does vary per brand, for example Shinn boards tend to have shorter length around 135-37 in the 44cm wide models. More rail in the water will give you better upwind performance, to a point. Another key factor is the rocker. You would have better success with a flatter rocker in a light to med wind board which will give you better speed and upwind performance.
The board your going to pick will become your light to med TT that you could ride with a 17m down to a 10m if you stick to those above numbers. The one board I will recommend( yes because I sell it and yes because I used it for 5 yrs ) is the Nobile XTR 140 x 46. http://www.nobilekiteboarding.com/en/XTR
The only downside is that it is very expensive. There are lots of very good boards out there by lots of manufactures,do your research and ask some questions about it when you find one you think might suit your needs.Good Luck and be safe!

Dave

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Greetings.

Another good site for used gear is ikitesurfdotcom. Just make sure to research and really talk with the sellers, as there have been some scammers on there.

Stay away from the Prodigy and the Thorn. There are so many better boards since those were made. Also, you don't need a $900 board to start.

For an all around board, look for something like 138-142 long, by 43-46 wide. This will be a good starting point. Also, try to find something 2010 or later.

My all-around board is a Wainman blunt 137, and I weigh 285.
You can find the blunts for really good prices, btw.

Starting out in 10 knots will be frustrating, and would require a light wind board. It will be good at first for body dragging, and getting used to the kite.
13-15 knts will be ideal for trying to ride at first.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

A large piece of plywood, straps or no straps, Surfboard, anything will work. Most newer boards will work, anything 140cm+ x 44cm +-1cm will work well in light wind for your wt and the big kite you have

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 pm

I could see a plywood board with no straps being extremely frustrating for a beginner.

neb_16
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Style: Freeride
Been thanked: 0

Postby neb_16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Wow, thanks for your responses everyone, you have been a huge help!!! I will definitely look into the boards that you suggested! I completely agree that I don't need a super expensive board. I am just looking for something that I can get up on the water and have a good time with, preferable used. Any reason in particular I should stray away from the thorn? I have heard great things about it, it is 141x43 (which is in the range some of you suggested as far as size goes). It does, however, have a decent rocker from what I understand. Will this be an issue in the lighter wind conditions I will be riding in?
Nathan

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 am

yes, rocker is your worst enemy for light wind, or if you ride in very choppy/wavy conditions it can make it a lot more difficult to maintain board the board speed you need to ride efficiently. boards labeled "freeride" or "freestyle" are more what you're looking for, stay away from anything that mentions wakestyle or high rocker

Return to “Kitesurfing”