Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 switchblade IDS? not flipping on back???

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: 2013 switchblade IDS? not flipping on back???

Postby edt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

OzBungy if you only activate the QR once every other year, and only in a life or death situation, how are you sure it will work? What if there is some glob of dried seaweed in there you never noticed, or one of those stainless steel fittings that got bent, a million things can go wrong in a QR. I suppose you can go out and schedule an additional test for your QR every week or so to make sure it works. Also, this one doesn't pertain to you, some kiters are still even after years, a bit unfamiliar with how their kite works when they activate the QR. Practice is good and what better time to practice than during a self land.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:02 pm

I guess I need to make a video of what I'm experiencing.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:58 pm

IWB2 wrote:C Johnson,
I too am using the 2013 SB as well, and for me the IDS process and reaction when activating the QR1 is just like the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009. I have not encounter the issues you have noted as of yet. Were the winds really light for the kite size you were using? If you did everything you are meant to do for a self land, then it is really surprising as to why the kite did not flip on its back.
Resetting the QR1 in deep water is actually easy enough as you mention, maybe not as easy as the 2011 and earlier QR1 system which you could reset with your eyes closed.
Best of luck working this one out. Maybe someone else can assist.
So far this has only come up using the 14m switchblade in well....14m conditions. so pretty light winds.

I like every other aspect of this kite so I'm hoping maybe this is just a matter of tuning or technique that needs to be adjusted on the 2013 model.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am

It seems that as far back as 2010, it might be necessary to pull in the IDS line before the kite hits the ground/water and release the line after it lands - like at 33 seconds in this. Or walk or swim toward the kite fast enough to make it drop on its back if its stuck.
It seems to only be some models that it is necessary on.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:02 am

C Johnson wrote:
IWB2 wrote: I can actually reassemble the overly complicated release, it in deep water! Which is something not many people can do.

this is hilarious (sort of). how could anyone kite out into deep water with any uncertainty about how to reset a harness loop after release.

y'all better be able to do that, regardless of the system. if you think its hard, practice and figure it out.

i agree with edt.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:06 pm

bnthere wrote:
C Johnson wrote:
IWB2 wrote: I can actually reassemble the overly complicated release, it in deep water! Which is something not many people can do.

this is hilarious (sort of). how could anyone kite out into deep water with any uncertainty about how to reset a harness loop after release.

y'all better be able to do that, regardless of the system. if you think its hard, practice and figure it out.

i agree with edt.
Errrrr... ever tried to reassemble the cabrinha release, especially 2012? if you don't have tension on the IDS line you have to manually feed it through, then keep tension on it while you reassemble the puzzle attached to the loop - see the official video where he steps on the line. It's hard enough to do on the beach, the last time I accidentally hit it in the water I just swam in.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Séb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Yeah, I would bet that out of 10 riders only two could "maybe" re-assemble the 2012 CL when in deep water! Overly complicated to say the least! The 2013 is easier.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 am

[quote="dyyylan"
Errrrr... ever tried to reassemble the cabrinha release, especially 2012? if you don't have tension on the IDS line you have to manually feed it through, then keep tension on it while you reassemble the puzzle attached to the loop - see the official video where he steps on the line. It's hard enough to do on the beach, the last time I accidentally hit it in the water I just swam in.[/quote]

this is even better, so why would anyone use it (nevermind build it)?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 am

edt wrote:OzBungy if you only activate the QR once every other year, .....
Basic maintenance and checks from time to time.

If you want to use the QR every time then that's fine (although it sounds a tad excessive to me.)

The original post sounded like he was releasing in situations when he wanted the kite to depower 100%, not just self landing or testing. In self landing you want the kite to land nose down.

Personally I hate it when the kite flips on it's back. I have to work the lines to flip it over on its nose.

As for reassembling the chicken loop in the water, I would only release in a survival situation. I would be more than happy to drift to shore and reset everything before kiting again. I have no hesitation in releasing to the safety. It's just that survival situations are extremely rare.

As a general rule I head in to the beach and reset for the occasional inversion where the kite has rolled through the lines.

The concept of a safety system that you can release to and reset on the fly sounds to me a touch absurd. It would be like having air bags that you can pop off whenever you feel like it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am

It depends on why the Q/R was activated, but if the situation allows it, the IDS will operate if you just pull the centrelines down until you reach the bottom of the front lines.
That way, if you want to relaunch, you just let the centrelines out again.

If you can hold the bottom of the front lines in one hand and pull in an extra metre of the front lines before the kite hits the water and release the extra metre as it hits the water, that might make the kite drop onto its back nicely.

Both my Crossbows always drop onto their backs automatically, so I cant check the 'extra metre' will work.

Return to “Kitesurfing”