Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle
Gear: epic renegade 6&9 slingshot rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot rpm tuning

Postby DANIELR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Whats the best setting on the rpm to get the most slack and no back stalling when unhooking because when i set up the kite on the knots furthest from the kite it feels as if i have no power and when the steering lines are closest to the kite it back stalls lots any tips thanks

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Slingshot rpm tuning

Postby davesails7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Another question about RPM tuning:
A buddy of mine just purchased an RPM 10m 2012. He's had it out twice and in both sessions the kite has turned inside out while he was trying to relaunch it, and it flew inverted. Is this a common issue with RPMs? Is there a tuning setting that is less likely to invert?

He said in 5+ years of kiting he has never had any other kite (all from other brands) invert on him, so it doesn't seem like it is something he is doing wrong.

DANIELR
Rare Poster
Style: wakestyle
Gear: epic renegade 6&9 slingshot rally

Postby DANIELR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 pm

My ones have never inverted ..........

seki-ter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kralova dam, Slovakia
Style: freeride
Gear: Flexifoil, rrd, GK, Caution

Postby seki-ter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I've seen that happen on different kites, not only RPM (inverting). I guess it mainly has to do with underinflation. Just pump ip up a bit more.

RPM 10 always behaved nicely for me, backstalling only happens if flown in too little wind. But I'd say, just try the middle knot :P

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva

Postby JaanTatikas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 am

I have used RPM-s for 3 years and havent had these problems. Adjust the front lines to the knots according to the wind - usually to the middle knot.
I havent played around with wakestyle/freestyle setting though - try that one - it probably only affects turning.

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey real quick! If you move the knots to the ones all the way to the bar, or all the way to the kite, and all the lines are on the same knots then you aren't doing anything except extending your lines a few cm or so. To make any difference you have to hook the lines up to different knots. For example, if you want your kite to have a little more power, you would hook your center lines up to the knots closest to the kite and keep your rear lines on the middle knots. It doesn't do anything if you move all the knots around on the same ones. It's kind of hard to type so I'm going to stop talking about that but they have to be on different levels for them to change anything.

The wake settings on the front bridles makes the RPM sit a little further back in the wind window so that you are powered throughout your wake style tricks. Freestyle setting seems to keep the kite a little more forward in the window to help with upwind ability and it's not yanking you as hard downwind like that. I use freestyle for surfing and when I want to make sure I can get back upwind easily and most days. I use wake style settings for when I'm going out on my boots or trying to learn some new wake style tricks.

Hope that helps!

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 am

The kite needs alot of wind. Sounds like you went out totally underpowered. No power at all with last knot and back stalling on the first know from the kite. Middle knots front and back should have you pretty much plug and play mode.

I need 15 knots + for my 12 before i even look at trading down a size, at 86kg and on a 136.
The 9m needs 20 knots for me.

DRC

Return to “Kitesurfing”