Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite gear voting and independent rating

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite gear voting and independent rating

Postby tautologies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am

eree wrote: don't look like very busy sites. problem with rating sites is that if site like that become popular all pimps concentrate their effort on it, consequently making it unreliable.
which kind of perfectly illustrates my point.

The thing about it, it that scale is probably the one thing that can take away the power of a small group.

Dand. once you decide on the dimensions, remember that comparison for all kites have to be completed over all those dimensions.
The number of comparisons are increasing very fast, so I would try to keep them as few as possible.

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am

There was an interesting site called wisekite.com (which unfortunately seems to no longer be online), it allowed kite manufacturers to review their own gear, by scoring it on various sliding scales.

The clever thing was, that the scale didn't go from bad to good, they were scales such as:
Low Bar Pressure -> High Bar Pressure
Pivotal Turning -> Powered radial turning
Sits forward in window -> Sits back in window

It also allowed you to enter they kind of properties you were after in a kite, and give you the closest matches. Pity its no longer online...

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

peet wrote:The clever thing was, that the scale didn't go from bad to good, they were scales such as:
Low Bar Pressure -> High Bar Pressure
Pivotal Turning -> Powered radial turning
Sits forward in window -> Sits back in window
I agree, those are important :thumb:

I would also make it more scientific like Ken Winner used to do in those days with windsurfers.
For examples:
It would be important to check static pull with a force gauge while the kite is parked,
which would give some clue about the L/D and how far the kite could fly at the edge of the window.
Also checking the low and high end wind range for a recreational rider would be important,
with most importantly for average weight rider but if there is a chance do it
with higher and lighter weight also with the same boards.
This way all the unrealistic BS would be eliminated what some brands are claiming on the low and high ends.
Check picture how to start out, but with a more specific and refined version of it :idea:

DrLW
Attachments
Windrange Example.jpg
Windrange Example.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am

Interesting discussion hope something comes out if it.

My method is to scour the net for reviews from multiple sources. Then I email individuals independently with a number of specific questions. Sometimes I may even call a few crew.

Then I cross reference all the replies and look for similarities and differences.

Then if it meets my short list I then seek one to demo, keeping in mind what to look for based on what I have out together. Can take a while but its fun putting the pieces together.

If you come up with something, it would serve as only one other piece of the puzzle.

I like to gather reports from team riders and the average joe. The truth generally comes to the surface in the end. This can then be confirmed via a demo.

That's my technique anyhow.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Consumer Reports type testing with measurable results in a controlled environment could provide consistent reliable results with less influence by advertisers and personal rider preferences.

Using consistent wind speeds in wind tunnels or fans, the turning speeds, pull force, relaunch speed, and other qualities of each kite could be measured. Computer modeling could also run simulations similar to the use by aircraft manufactures and others.

Durability testing of construction methods and material could be done.

Surveys could be used to get long term feedback from owners on problems, reliability and maybe resale value.

Feedback from test riders should also be included to get perception ratings.

Funding might come from manufacturers and maybe Consumer Reports would do the testing.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Yeh don't know if I agree with that. You can get as technical as you want with specific measurements but ultimately its the human subjective experience cross correlated with other such experiences that will yield much more useful information that such a quantified approach.

But what you have mentioned above would indeed be another useful piece of information and w
I would predict maybe increase the pace of evolution of gear.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:02 pm

+1 DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”