In need of a new TT

Forum for kitesurfers
Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: In need of a new TT

Postby Séb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 am

I also own a Monk Forever 134X42 and this is by far the best board I have tried. I love it. And the range is incredible. Works in almost any condition but best for high speed, high power, big air! Ultra smooth in chop, cut through like butter. You should really try one!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:55 am

William Munney wrote:Do you have access to a boat or is paddling an SUP on a calm day or walking the shore an option? You may find it.
I got up on the retaining wall at the river mouth, then up on the bridge going over the river and couldn't see it. Walked the banks of the river that evening, then the following PM walked around the lake shore on either side :( wind was blowing hard up the river so it could be anywhere... river banks are actually concrete :o I'm wondering if it hasn't been pushed under water somehow.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 am

plummet wrote:whats your location? chop, ocean, swell? flatwater?

If its chop strike every single square tips TT off your list and go and buy a mako.

if its flat then go and look at all those square tipped horrible in chop boards.
Got a Mako 150... not my favourite all rounder, but am looking forward to riding it mutant :D

Lake mostly, chop and "swell" when the wind gets up... occasional ocean rides, in a big ol' bay...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:30 am

Thanks all for comments like "needs power" or "has lots of rocker, need a bigger size" - those are what I'm looking for...! :thumb:
Shinn Shinn Shinn
I keep hearing that... but paying $900 for a board that looks like it was knocked up in a shed and painted by a buddy for a bucket of home brew sticks in my craw :D let's see if we can't get the sexy boards voted in :lol:

Plus... no demo or shops here :(

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:50 am

Well I owned a shinn monk. I now run a 150 mako. I support your purchase decision.

I won't knock the shinn range, the boards are very good. The mako 150 is more of an all rounder than the monk I know that much. The monk demands speed and aggressive riding. In that respects it can't be beaten.

I ride hooked in, waves, flat, unhooked a bit, some outdated freestyle hooked in moves. I boost, carve ... The mako is as good as all rounder as you will need.

Putting the mutant fins in will give you added grip for boosting but honestly you don't need them. Straight TT is where it is at its best and I've tried every configuration you can imagine.

A very experienced guy said to me the other day when talking about shinn boards. 'In the end it is just a board'. yeh it's a great design, but the momentum it has gained may be at this point creating a picture of the board being so much better as others is being over emphasised or imagined. It is another flat bottomed TT with a specific rocker configuration, flex pattern and changes in outline and finnage across the range. it has its own specific feel but it is still what it is albeit great in that area of kiteboards.

Great board range. But the mako is in its own class it's own spectrum and has a feel unlike anything else.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 am

Kamikuza wrote:Thanks all for comments like "needs power" or "has lots of rocker, need a bigger size" - those are what I'm looking for...! :thumb:
Shinn Shinn Shinn
I keep hearing that... but paying $900 for a board that looks like it was knocked up in a shed and painted by a buddy for a bucket of home brew sticks in my craw :D let's see if we can't get the sexy boards voted in :lol:

Plus... no demo or shops here :(
I just saw the 2012 Supershinn was down to $495. For that price, you could take the additional $400 and get whatever floats your boat painted on it. :lol:

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A very experienced guy said to me the other day when talking about shinn boards. 'In the end it is just a board'
So true !!! :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 am

Yeh don't get me wrong I'm not gonna knock the shinn range I highly rate it.

But I always get a little worries when a piece of gear starts getting some over zealous attention. Beware of hype and demo demo demo.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:I just saw the 2012 Supershinn was down to $495. For that price, you could take the additional $400 and get whatever floats your boat painted on it. :lol:
Now we're talking! :thumb: :lol: Yeah, but I'd still have to look at it everyday in the back of the car ;) Oh and - the more violently coloured it is, the easier it'll be for me to spot it :o I've lost the white 'n' blue Flyradical a few times, had to come in and stand around on the shore looking for it :baby:

Needs speed? That can be tough to hang onto here... bouncing up 'n' down "waves" on the lake can be very stop start...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 am

FFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Thought I'd check out the local prices and perhaps support the local shop.

Naish Hero - Y65,000 plus $25,000 for bindings. At the crappy (for me) exchange rate, that's slightly over USD$1,000 :o

Versus $419 plus $170... aka half the price!!! I preferred it when the dollar was in the toilet too...

Return to “Kitesurfing”