Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby Hasse » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I use 5-8-12 now and that is better then i excpect. Much more. It cover all I need.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I use 5-8-12 now and that is better then i excpect. Much more. It cover all I need.
Thank you Mr.Hasse :thumb:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: The SURF kite from Epic Kites

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Dimitri, as most people only have one quiver they use, can you make a surf specific kite with attachment point changes that tailor it for traditional freestyle/airstyle riding as well?

I have been reading all the aspects people like for surf kites (drifts well, bar feedback without being too strong, turns tight so you don't drag a wingtip downlooping on a wave, etc) but as you point out you can sacrifice upwind ability and jumping. If you can squeek those back into the kite with simple to understand mods (SURF setting, FREE setting), that would be popular. It can still be a SURF focused kite, but with a freestyle setting (not "wake") that appeals to most riders.

You have to keep it simple, though! If you put too many kite, bridle, bar adjustments on there people get confused and either are afraid to change anything, or won't know how to tune it without your guideance.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is keeping the turning radius tight even when depowered. My prior SLEs would get a very wide turning radius when I'd depower them as the wind built. Making downlooping difficult. My current delta inspired kites, keep a relatively tight turning radius even when depowered. The arc gets a little wider, but I can still whip a 14M around without dragging a wing tip.
CaptainArgh wrote:Guys, I can't tell you how excited I am about the new Epic SURF kite thread...
I posted the above reply, but I'm no hater, just ball busting because all the epic threads amuse me. It is good that you ask for feedback instead of assuming you know what is best for everyone. :thumb:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Thank you CaptainArgh for your inputs. Right now the RENEGADE kites that we have do some of the things you mentioned regarding the turning speed while depowered, plus few other things.
Concerning having some type of settings on the LE of the kite so kiters can decide how far into the window the kite can go for their different type of riding style....well we are adding this feature on the (4G) RENEGADE models that we are coming out with. But this will be only on the RENEGADE models and by adding that nice feature that you just mentioned it will make the RENEGADE kites even better.
The RENEGADE kite is a good all round kite but me personally and people that love to venture in the surf really like it... So by having this new feature, riders will be able to decide what type of riding they want to do "FREE RIDE or WAVE RIDE". (check the picture attached bellow).
Now concerning the SURF kite we have a lot of work to do but will try to make sure we keep it simple and try to put as much info possible that we got from all of.
What about the "One pump" system? Do you think we should remove that system on the SURF kite and keep it the old fashion way so less things to break when the kite is getting eaten by the waves. Just so you know the SURF kite will have 3 struts like the RENEGADE kites.

P.S. Concerning busting my balls, no worries I don't have any left from all the crashes I have been doing. :wink:
Attachments
IMG_0935 3.jpg

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Postby Hasse » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:26 pm

For my can you have two kind of riding on it. Strapless surf and "kitesurf" settings ;)

Big different there if you ask me. I want to surf on my board and just use the kite to go in to the wave and get out to it again.

One Pump is not a need for me....

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Dimitri M wrote:...
What about the "One pump" system? Do you think we should remove that system on the SURF kite and keep it the old fashion way so less things to break when the kite is getting eaten by the waves...:
That is indeed the OLD way.
That is also an entirely different debate, but since you asked. I've found the modern 1 pumps to be 100% reliable and I never see all the possible problems people like to complain about here. It is simple to inflate & deflate and gets me on the water faster! 100 people will now disagree... :lol:

NeWORBiT
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blue Mesa Reservoir
Style: gimpy old school
Gear: 11m HQ neo II, 6m Slingsnot
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby NeWORBiT » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Hey Cap, I'm not so sure about the keep it super simple thing. Am new to kiting with a 2 kite quiver, the huge adjustability of my only LEI is easy to understand and key to getting a big wind range out of it. It's easy to make the appropriate adjustments for the conditions. Longer lines and leading edge up for low winds, opposite for strong winds.

As for you Dimitri, that 2010 Screamer you sold me last summer (epic store close out deal) has totally wrecked my price / quality expectations. $550 for a 9m including bar, lines, extensions, pack, pump, spare bladder set. Can't even find a kite only for that price, darn it. Thanks a lot! :wink:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Thank you Mr.CaptainArgh. We never had any problems with our "One Pump" system but just asking. I rather want to use the "One Pump" system then the old fashion way because it's faster. But again other people like the old fashion way, and this is why some kite companies still use the multiple pump system.
As for you Dimitri, that 2010 Screamer you sold me last summer (epic store close out deal) has totally wrecked my price / quality expectations. $550 for a 9m including bar, lines, extensions, pack, pump, spare bladder set. Can't even find a kite only for that price, darn it.
Whaooooo....Mr.NeWORBiT that was a steal and probably a mistake :thumb: Close out are always good to get even if they are 2 years old.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello guys,
Once again thank you so much for all your inputs on the Surf Kite. I have been getting so many emails that we are getting an over load of information.
Any way I got an email from a kiter asking to put (some small holes) on the tip of the wing tips so the water can drain much faster. What do you think?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 am

Isn't that a Naish thing?
Haven't heard anybody talking much about it after I first heard about it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”