Local Beach: Lake Erie
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Progressive Manta 149 anyone?

Postby neb_16 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 pm

Hey again everyone,
Just looking for a bit of newbie advice. Have any of you had experience with the Progressive Manta 149cm board? I am 200lbs, fly a slingshot machine 17.5, and will be going out into lake erie here once the weather warms up. I am basically looking for a board that I will be able to get up and ride on in as wide a range of conditions as possible (lake Erie winds are generally around 10-15kts, but often have days higher and lower, gustier, etc), so I figured a lightwind board such as the manta may be a good choice? Not really looking to get into jumping and doing tricks quite yet, but would like a board that I could potentially advance to basic freeriding, etc on. Would I still be able to get the board out on days when the wind is a bit heavier, say 20 kts or so, or would I just be skipping across the water on a board that large (it is extremely wide as well, and has virtually no rocker) with a 17.5m kite? . I was considering the Naish thorn 141, but it seems to have a bit much rocker and slightly less surface area that I think I need on lake erie?
I would really appreciate any advice you guys could offer, I'm dying to get out on the water?
Nathan

neb_16
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Style: Freeride

Re: Progressive Manta 149 anyone?

Postby neb_16 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Bump. Anyone? Sorry i forgot to mention, the dimensions are 149 x 47.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Insert standard response here: Have you had lessons? If not, you should definitely get some. You can get hurt pretty bad if you don't know what you are doing.

With that out of the way... I don't know much about the board, but that 17.5 meter c-kite is going to be an issue for a beginner, especially on a lake.

I haven't ridden the machine myself, but have heard mixed reviews back when they were new. For your weight as a beginner you are probably looking at a usable wind range of 12-15 knots. So unless the wind is completely steady, you are going to be in trouble. Usually on lakes, the wind is gusty.

You can get a decent 14 or 15m SLE kite from 2008 for $300 or so (2008 waroos are good and cheap). That kite will give you a usable range as a beginner of about 12-21 knots. You will learn much quicker on the 2008 kite.

That 17.5m c-kite in the hands of a beginner in gusty lake wind with narrow lake beaches is just a disaster waiting to happen.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 pm

lots of experience with MANTA, excellent lightwind cruising machine, extremely efficient upwind. can be ridden very slowly. not so good for carrying higher speed or turning. take a look at the PROGRESSIVE PHISH 146 instead for good lightwind performance (even for a heavier rider) and a lot smoother maneuverability.

thorn 141 (x 41 or 42 i think) is significantly smaller, at your weight that is your powered up freeride board size. you will want a lot more board than that for lower speed cruising and lower power riding in general.

Manta Thorn would be a good 2 board combo

i agree with previous posts about the kite, that thing is going to be a handful

Return to “Kitesurfing”