Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What sizing from smaller to bigger kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tompa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Half Moon Bay, Khobar
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Bullkites/boards
Flysurfer Speed3
Ketos hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What sizing from smaller to bigger kite?

Postby Tompa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:20 am

hi guys,
I have been kite surfing for a couple of years now and currently have an 8m, 12m2 and 19m2 kite. My 12 is getting a bit old and as I look for its replacement I wonder what ten ideal factor from one kite to the next bigger on should ideally be. A you can see in my case my size increases by 50% from one to the next.

What is your experience to have the kites in such a range that they ideally fill in the gaps?

Have done some theoretical considerations but can't come up with anything conclusive. I would appreciate your input.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What sizing from smaller to bigger kite?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:20 pm

I dont know about the big ones, but my personal experiences (78kg) are:

5-7-9-12 works.

6-8-11 works.

But going from 7 to 11 or from 6 to 9 does definitely NOT work at all IMO :naughty:

Which are about the same steps you have now, percentagewise that is...

Even the 5-7 is a bit big sometimes, so some got 5-6-7 to cover better (we ride often with these sizes in waves).

So would aim for something around 33% change in size.

Regarding the big ones, things change dramatically.

I prefer a small change in size around the "good" max sizes, which for me is around 11-12m2.

Above that (with my weight), it does not matter if a small or a huge step, as they are so slow and not the same "art" of kitesurfing no more - so much more an individual preference, and a huge step in size makes more sense here, in these low windspeeds.

Just my experience :thumb:

:D Peter

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. As you know ,there are a couple factors involved when selecting your quiver sizes. The most obvious is your weight. The next would be what type of boards do you ride. Your location also can be a major factor as well. If you were say below maybe 85kg, rode TT's and lived in an average location(not Maui, Gorge ,Brazil etc) I would say the 12m would be the size to build off of. Now depending on the brand(s) you ride, this could be 11 or 13 but you get the idea. The next size down could be a 9m(again brand dependent),then 7m. Going smaller IMO you should tighten the spacing up to about 2m gaps. Going up you have options like 16m or ,like what you have done, a large LW kite 17 and up. The board option will affect your choice as well. If you were into riding Surfboards or Freeride Boards(Airush Sectors) then the need for a large kite is not as important unless you want to ride in ultra LW.With finns and float these style boards can "add" as much as 3m to your kite size with there performance.
Now, If you weight over 85kg(me 90kg) a good spacing is 14m 10m 8m. Because I ride directionals, my go too kite is my 10m. If TT,it would be the 14m.
On season,all I had was a 12m Crossbow, every single time I went to the beach, it looked like 12m!!! lol
Good luck.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:40 pm

How do you like the way your quiver works now?
If good, keep same spacing and type of kite, just newer.
On the other hand if you often have too much wind for the 19, but find the 12 is not quite enough, shift to a stronger 12 or a 13.
Or if you have the opposite issue, try a 10 or 11 instead of a 12.
It's all a compromise

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:18 pm

every one is going to have their own idea
start with your most use size whatever that is where you are
then go up 3m and down 2m and that will get you close most places

if you are into wakestyle or serious waves, go with a smaller gap then if you are just free riding

most people also think you should stay with the same model as you change sizes but i do not agree.
as the sizes of kites change the water can change a lot and you will want to do different things so your riding style can change a lot and so your kite can as well.
it just depends on what you want the day to feel like :thumb:

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I dont know about the big ones, but my personal experiences (78kg) are:

5-7-9-12 works.

6-8-11 works.

But going from 7 to 11 or from 6 to 9 does definitely NOT work at all IMO :naughty:

Which are about the same steps you have now, percentagewise that is...

Even the 5-7 is a bit big sometimes, so some got 5-6-7 to cover better (we ride often with these sizes in waves).

So would aim for something around 33% change in size.

Regarding the big ones, things change dramatically.

I prefer a small change in size around the "good" max sizes, which for me is around 11-12m2.

Above that (with my weight), it does not matter if a small or a huge step, as they are so slow and not the same "art" of kitesurfing no more - so much more an individual preference, and a huge step in size makes more sense here, in these low windspeeds.

Just my experience :thumb:

:D Peter
last 2 seasons I have had 12/9/6 and a 17 (which hardly gets used).
I find with the new sle`s there is plenty of range to go from a 9 to a 6 (kiting in side to sideon in the surf)

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm with Peter...general "rule);

Kites 10m and under...two Ms apart
Kites > than 10m...can go 3m apart

yes a 7,9,11 will work.

steve

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 am

for decent overlap and coverage I've found up a 1/3 down a 1/4 works well

most 9/10 m kites are the money size, depending on weight and local conditions a smaller one (7~) will get you out one those higher wind days and a bigger one (12 ~)- if you get skunked a lot you may have to get one more 15-17~

smaller kites in high wind conditions i.e: <30 knots can be great fun, conditions will be rougher and consequences can be higher

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:22 am

I ride 7/9/13 Fuels. This works well for me. When the 13 gets overpowering I can ride the 9. The 7 is there for when I want to do freestyle when the wind is in the mid to high 20's after that it's just boosting.

I do find 2m gap to be too much overlap. This is just my thoughts and fits for my riding style. I really only got the 7 for kiteloops but as age catches up to me I think I might go back to hybrids for some more forgiving loops.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm

TheJoe wrote:I ride 7/9/13 Fuels. This works well for me. When the 13 gets overpowering I can ride the 9. The 7 is there for when I want to do freestyle when the wind is in the mid to high 20's after that it's just boosting.

I do find 2m gap to be too much overlap. This is just my thoughts and fits for my riding style. I really only got the 7 for kiteloops but as age catches up to me I think I might go back to hybrids for some more forgiving loops.
I agree with this, 7/9/12 or 7/9/13 works perfect for me at 140 lbs

Return to “Kitesurfing”