Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whose a weirdo and prefer upwind wave riding?

Forum for kitesurfers
Neilwill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Wave riding upwind
Gear: Rrd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Whose a weirdo and prefer upwind wave riding?

Postby Neilwill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:58 am

Mate I'm on it upwind riding only goofy kiting ten years and go brazil for few months a year I toeside upwind it's my favourite the lads are on me all the time telling me its wrong bla bla think these boys own worst enemy's living between there ears great post I joined to reply to you all the best keep up the onisty and have fun

Neilwill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Wave riding upwind
Gear: Rrd

Postby Neilwill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:58 am

Mate I'm on it upwind riding only goofy kiting ten years and go brazil for few months a year I toeside upwind it's my favourite the lads are on me all the time telling me its wrong bla bla think these boys own worst enemy's living between there ears great post I joined to reply to you all the best keep up the onisty and have fun

speedreef
Medium Poster

Postby speedreef » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Can't say I prefer to dtl, never turn my nose "up" at uw waves, so
yeah, I'm weird too...still prefer straps too...stuck in this self made rut...
"We cannot escape ourselves"
2013-03-23 07.58.30.png
2013-03-23 07.58.30.png (462.31 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:03 pm

JamesVegas wrote:
windsuks wrote:Yup your a weirdo!!
Only kidding, who cares what the others think...
There's way to much pressure like "loose the straps dude" "gotta do boots man" "unhook bro"
Just do what ya love doing rather than what the rest want you to do!
It does look better though.
Ha, your so vain dude! :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 am

Sweet good to see some other wierdo's out there.

Mr Suk. yes i usually blaze my own uncoventional style. some times its just plain uncool. But quite frankley I don't give a damn!. If it puts a grin on my face i'm doing it!

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:01 am

plummet wrote:
dyyylan wrote:I'm trying to imagine how this is even possible.

I'm guessing you have a side-shore-ish swell direction, or riding in very offshore wind?
cross on to cross shore wind.
Has to be cross-on relative to the wave direction to ride back "upwind". The reason you prefer upwind is because you ride a TT. I think it is more difficult to ride down the line on a TT than a directional board. You need plenty of turns to keep the tension on, especially if it is cross-on and winds are light.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 am

cross on to cross shore wind.[/quote]
Has to be cross-on relative to the wave direction to ride back "upwind". The reason you prefer upwind is because you ride a TT. I think it is more difficult to ride down the line on a TT than a directional board. You need plenty of turns to keep the tension on, especially if it is cross-on and winds are light.[/quote]

It might be harder to go DTL on a twintip but a standard twintip has problems going up the line as well. I use both the Mako 150 and strapless low and mid volume directionals and the Mako doesn't have the float to power deep turns up the face unless the wind is just right (slightly more onshore). The directional has the advantage when you've shot too far off the face to turn hard back up it because you can put the kite high for a moment, slow down and let the wave catch you and use the wave power to get your speed back.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 am

geopeck wrote:
cross on to cross shore wind.
Has to be cross-on relative to the wave direction to ride back "upwind". The reason you prefer upwind is because you ride a TT. I think it is more difficult to ride down the line on a TT than a directional board. You need plenty of turns to keep the tension on, especially if it is cross-on and winds are light.

It might be harder to go DTL on a twintip but a standard twintip has problems going up the line as well. I use both the Mako 150 and strapless low and mid volume directionals and the Mako doesn't have the float to power deep turns up the face unless the wind is just right (slightly more onshore). The directional has the advantage when you've shot too far off the face to turn hard back up it because you can put the kite high for a moment, slow down and let the wave catch you and use the wave power to get your speed back.
Very true :thumb:

:D Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddalbinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville beach NC
Carolina beach
The Basin
Masonboro Island
Favorite Beaches: Any with wind
Style: wake,free,surf
Gear: Switch,Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Switch team Rider

Postby toddalbinson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 am

Yes I am also an upwind weirdo when the conditions are right. I am the kind of kite boarder who lets his conditions dictate how and what I ride. so I'm not the guy riding a surfboard in flat water or a TT with boots in the ocean. These guys in my opinion are the weirdos. Some of the best waves I have caught kite boarding have been up wind barrels. My favorite thing to do is let go of the bar and get way over the front of my board long board style. So yes let all the guys who only go DTL all the time complain on the beach on a upwind wave day as I grin and say I had a great sesh bra :D

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm

To be exact im on a mutant with a trifin thruster setup at the back. So i have better drive and turning ability on the wave face than a standard tt. But yes,it doesn't have the float of quick turning of a standard cupboard.

But i don't think that's it. I can rip downwind when i want. But i much rather rip unwind ride the shallows, then boost off a wave and stay in the wave and whitewash section having fun going in and out repeatedly. Ripping downward then taking out to sea for 5mins to get back upwind is less fun to me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”