*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 47  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:49 am
Posts: 1158
Location: shallow sea
Harri wrote:
UKSurf wrote:
Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?

Watch this vid about launching the cloud.
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be

what are you talking about, guy is clearly walking and jumping on the bottom. look it on full screen mode.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:21 am
Posts: 8
eree wrote:
Harri wrote:
UKSurf wrote:
Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?

Watch this vid about launching the cloud.
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be

what are you talking about, guy is clearly walking and jumping on the bottom. look it on full screen mode.



The Kite in the Vid is MY Kite, Spot is the Traunsee in Austria (191 mtrs deep) and i was with him on this day to lend him the kite for the test. So: NO, he' s not walking or jumping on the ground. Just about 7-10 m from the beach you can't stand in this lake cause of it's depth. Water Temps actually at about 10 Celsius.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Posts: 638
How large do you think a useable kite be could be made in this design, 20 to 25 meters or more?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:18 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 37
Fun session today at Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires.
Wind 8kts
Board Cabrinha Caliber 2011(a standard twintip)
Weight 73kgs
Bar Cabrinha SB 10m 2012 (a bit small)
Didn't drop the kite so I can't comment on relaunch.

I'm alone in a river usually full of kites, on a weekend.


Attachments:
IMG-20130427-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20130427-WA0003.jpg [ 32.66 KIB | Viewed 1848 times ]
IMG-20130427-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20130427-WA0000.jpg [ 32.9 KIB | Viewed 1848 times ]
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 3029
Harri wrote:
UKSurf wrote:
Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?



Watch this vid about launching the cloud.
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)
At least what you may not do: swimming backyards fills the canopy with water and kills the relaunch...likely with foilkites (at the end of the film). Any other way is no problem to relaunch the cloud.
When the cloud is laying on the LE, it's no Problem to relaunch by pulling one leader
Line or backwards. BUT: what will happen, if the cloud is laying on the TE?? Just pull one leader
Line about 4 meters in, till the kite turns on the LE and do the relaunch as you prefer. Check the vid...and note, that it is hard to get the cloud on the water;)))
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be


Thanks for posting that Harri.
Deep water relaunch without editing is what people often ask for but rarely get.

I got the feeling that if the kite was inflated a bit more, it would have been a bit easier to get it to do the end-over flip to where it would then fill with wind,
and would also be a bit less prone to over-rotate past the normal re-launch position as it came up onto its side for relaunch.
Do you think the kite was inflated enough?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 338
Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
Greg: Any comments how this affects the behavior?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:41 pm
Posts: 35
mede wrote:
Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
Greg: Any comments how this affects the behavior?


i puming realy hard ! 8-9psi cold water and only 5-6knots


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 3029
ripper tom wrote:
mede wrote:
Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
Greg: Any comments how this affects the behavior?


i puming realy hard ! 8-9psi cold water and only 5-6knots


In very cold air and lake water, the air would have been warmed up after you have pumped it into the kite and can cool and 'shrink' reducing the pressure, so that might have affected it?
It did seem to be at lower pressure at the end of the video compared to the start.

At least the kite does relaunch in very light wind and seemed to be manouverable enough to sort out the positioning.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 am
Posts: 108
Location: San Diego
For those that have rode the 13M Cloud, what would you say is a sustainable high end not what you can take it up to but how many knots would it be where you can stay riding comfortably and not get pulled like a mad truck or being pulled out of a wave? Please also give your weight, thanks.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8708
Location: Oahu
turfAndsurf wrote:
For those that have rode the 13M Cloud, what would you say is a sustainable high end not what you can take it up to but how many knots would it be where you can stay riding comfortably and not get pulled like a mad truck or being pulled out of a wave? Please also give your weight, thanks.

I'm interested in that too though Im mostly interested in the low end performance... :)


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 47  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Kiwibayer, sijandy, Thor SFBay, Yahoo [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group