Favorite Beaches: oliphant
Style: free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help !!! twin tip and surf board advice

Postby whitey68 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm

ok so talking twin tips i have it narrowed down to the north Jamie or X ride, the Nobile T5 or NHP and someone today bragged about the super shinn. Im 210lbs and want a board firstly with amazing upwind abilities, smooth in the chop, good in small surf and good pop soooooooo! which one do i pick everyone claims their board is the best, the one. Im hoping someone can help me with first hand experience. As getting to demo all these soon doesnt seem likely. Looking forward to some imput.
Next problem, kite surfing. i have it narrowed down to a Slingshot Celeritas and a north wam. most often i will be in small surf and chop what do u think? :thumb:

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Re: Help !!! twin tip and surf board advice

Postby flybykite » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 am

Hey Whitey, I've used the X-ride, Jamie, and Super Shinn. I've also used the T5 but only a 20 minute demo some time ago. Heres my take. X-Ride is a great board for somewhat surfy conditions, very good in chop, but the rounded nose always left me wanting more from it in the pop department. Sure you can pop but its not very agressive. The Jamie and Super Shinn are more freestyle boards with great pop but stiffer and not as good in the chop or surf. The Jamie would be better in the surf and chop comparing it to the super shinn.
I'll add one more suggestion to the mix, Shinn Monk. Good pop, cuts through chop, and carves very nice, light weight, uses a bit more even foot presure (good for cutting out the back leg burn) and the foot pads are some of the best I've used. Certainly a great all rounder that does everything well. Google some reviews!
From only your suggestions I would go with the Jamie, its probably the closest to the Monk as well. All of these boards will go upwind well except the Super Shinn which is designed more for the freestyle advanced rider wanting super pop while unhooking. I generally feel upwind will be more about the kite than the board with these options.
Cant Comment on the 2 surfboards, but I ride a Naish Global and love it.
Good luck!

whitey68
Rare Poster
Local Beach: oliphant
Favorite Beaches: oliphant
Style: free ride
Gear: North

Postby whitey68 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 pm

flybykite wrote:Hey Whitey, I've used the X-ride, Jamie, and Super Shinn. I've also used the T5 but only a 20 minute demo some time ago. Heres my take. X-Ride is a great board for somewhat surfy conditions, very good in chop, but the rounded nose always left me wanting more from it in the pop department. Sure you can pop but its not very agressive. The Jamie and Super Shinn are more freestyle boards with great pop but stiffer and not as good in the chop or surf. The Jamie would be better in the surf and chop comparing it to the super shinn.
I'll add one more suggestion to the mix, Shinn Monk. Good pop, cuts through chop, and carves very nice, light weight, uses a bit more even foot presure (good for cutting out the back leg burn) and the foot pads are some of the best I've used. Certainly a great all rounder that does everything well. Google some reviews!
From only your suggestions I would go with the Jamie, its probably the closest to the Monk as well. All of these boards will go upwind well except the Super Shinn which is designed more for the freestyle advanced rider wanting super pop while unhooking. I generally feel upwind will be more about the kite than the board with these options.
Cant Comment on the 2 surfboards, but I ride a Naish Global and love it.
Good luck!
Hey bud i appreciate all the info its nice to hear someone s first hand experience , you know sometimes in the mags i think its more about selling the gear. Everyone says their gear is the best lol. Thanks again Whitey

dannybarnette
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Anywhere in Cape Hatteras, NC!
Favorite Beaches: Barbados, Dorado PR, Shacks PR, Cape Hatteras!
Style: Wave Riding, Big Air, Freestyle
Gear: North DICE, TEAM SERIES, and PRO SERIES
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding USA team rider.
Kiteboarding Instructor for Ocean Air Sports, Avon, NC.

Postby dannybarnette » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 am

Regarding a kite surfboard... The North WAM is an all-rounder, it performs great in down the line wave kiting but also well in onshore winds and swell. Whereas the North Whip is directed more towards onshore waves and choppy conditions. Both are really fun boards, I love riding them both!

Hope this helps,
Danny

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danny-Ba ... 6888404961
https://vimeo.com/52559119

joe weiss
Medium Poster

Postby joe weiss » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 am

whitey68 wrote:ok so talking twin tips i have it narrowed down to the north Jamie or X ride, the Nobile T5 or NHP and someone today bragged about the super shinn. Im 210lbs and want a board firstly with amazing upwind abilities, smooth in the chop, good in small surf and good pop soooooooo! which one do i pick everyone claims their board is the best, the one. Im hoping someone can help me with first hand experience. As getting to demo all these soon doesnt seem likely. Looking forward to some imput.
Next problem, kite surfing. i have it narrowed down to a Slingshot Celeritas and a north wam. most often i will be in small surf and chop what do u think? :thumb:
Have you tried the Xenon boards or the Fone boards ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”