Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dept.

Forum for kitesurfers
hausmex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto vallarta
Favorite Beaches: Bucerias
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kite and my shaped boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dept.

Postby hausmex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 am

I just received my new SB 2013 9m and test

Rider: 63kg = 140 pounds ,
Style: Freeriding, freestyle, wakestyle
Weather: 23 knots

the conclusions are :
Build Quality: 10/10
The way it handled the gusts: 10/10
turning 8.5/ 10
lighter bar pressure 10/10
Improved stability 9.5/10
control 9/10
Weak low end 6/ 10
relaunching 9.5 /10
Power 5/10
Pump 10/10

The bar is brilliant and perfect quality kudos for this, so far the best bar on the planet

Its not acceptable almost absurd that The client need to fix and figure it out , doing extra knots and attach the bar lines to the closer knot of he kite . Doing this I m loosing one knot setup .

the kite steering lines or the kite design , they screwed up in the QC dept.

This SB 2013 edition have no power compared to my olds SB 2012, SB 2011, SB 2010
Last edited by hausmex on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe weiss
Medium Poster

Re: Switchblade 2013 9m test they screwed up in the QC dept

Postby joe weiss » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

the front lines on any kite stretch a little after a couple of hours...

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 am

why do you have to lose a knot. just tie a simple overhand knot on the pigtail closest to the kite and fly the kite on the old middle knot or third knot from the end if you desire.
OR
tie a simple overhand knot on the outside bridle line...just above where the pigtail is attached to the bridle line. tie the knot where the bridle line is double/sewn. Then fly the kite on the middle know as recommended, or the toop knot if you desire.

FYI: I ALWAYS fly the Cabrinha's on the middle knot

steve

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Re: Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dep

Postby tr3v » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:37 am

I have noticed that the 2013 SB definitely has less bottom end than it's predecessors. Was this deliberate? And is it just a matter of changing the default line lengths/knots?

As it stands I would say that a 2013 10m has the same wind range as a 2012 9m. Is it the same for all kite sizes, or just more noticeable with the larger kites?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 pm

I recently bought 3 new 2013 Cabs. I found that my Xbow bar was tuned out of the box, but both my switchblades needed bar tuning. The 10m SB was only and inch out, which could be fixed by moving on the knot. But my 7m was out almost four inches, and i had to adjust the pigtail on the kite to the max.

I do agree that somewhere someone screwed up on the steering adjustments on the SB. I had no issues with my kites from 2011 out of the box.

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

experienced1 wrote:why do you have to lose a knot. just tie a simple overhand knot on the pigtail closest to the kite and fly the kite on the old middle knot or third knot from the end if you desire.
OR
tie a simple overhand knot on the outside bridle line...just above where the pigtail is attached to the bridle line. tie the knot where the bridle line is double/sewn. Then fly the kite on the middle know as recommended, or the toop knot if you desire.

FYI: I ALWAYS fly the Cabrinha's on the middle knot

steve
I always ride the cabrinha's on the middle knot , but this year the SB doesn't have POWER , modify a new kite out of the box is ridiculous.

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:54 pm

joe weiss wrote:the front lines on any kite stretch a little after a couple of hours...
Totally agree with this , but the problem persist after, tuning the bar , adding knots etc etc , I insist on production problems.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Tuning should be good right out of the bag. If thats not the case one should tune it correctly before complaining about the kite.
Apart from the tuning issues, isnt the 2013 supposed to be different from previous models?
From what I read 2013 is meant to be less powerfull and have less barpressure, in order to gain in other aspects such as unhooked performance, barpressure and turning abilities.

Maybe for 2013 Cabrinha actually 'delivered' to all you complainers out there who think SB is slow and heavy, but actually fail to tune a kite properly.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Tuning should be good right out of the bag. If thats not the case one should tune it correctly before complaining about the kite.
Apart from the tuning issues, isnt the 2013 supposed to be different from previous models?
From what I read 2013 is meant to be less powerfull and have less barpressure, in order to gain in other aspects such as unhooked performance, barpressure and turning abilities.
Maybe for 2013 Cabrinha actually 'delivered' to all you complainers out there who think SB is slow and heavy, but actually fail to tune a kite properly
This is not true. This is a very known issue that the rear lines are too long, it has been discussed plenty of times on this forum since the kite came out. I would think most dealers would know this and give people a heads up, surprised they do not. For most people if you add a fourth knot and fly it off of there the kite works fine. I feel that once modded they fly with almost the same power as previous years. Because the bar pressure is so much lighter than previous years, it still gives a sense of less power even once modded. I have seen it said that at mid year Cabrihna fixed the problem on later production runs, but not sure if that is true. I know that almost all of the early production kites i saw (mainly SBs) needed a mod. However, I would consider this a little beyond standard tuning, especially if you lines are 7 inches to long. Maybe the later production runs are "good out of the bag", I know the early ones were definitely not.

nobby raish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: oregon
Favorite Beaches: windy ones
Style: old school
Gear: old

Postby nobby raish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm

QC for many brands has been insufficent,
I blame some kiters insatiable need for " next years gear "

There was a post on this forum in march,asking whats up with 2014 gear...
....Seriously?

Demand durability,longevity and gear thats "dialed in" and truely
ready for market.

WE the kiting public has become after the sale QC.

Return to “Kitesurfing”