Unlikely Kite Locations and Situations

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Unlikely Kite Locations and Situations

Postby L0KI » Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 am

The local Austin crew kite at Lake Pflugerville, Lake Belton, Lake Travis and in Corpus Christi.
I used to have a boat very much like the one you are using, only older and crappier.
We did a lot of boat launch kiting in Lake Travis, just like you are doing.
Not really that hard, once you get the hang of it.
Safer than some of the launch spots on Lake Travis when the lake is full (not a lot of room and pretty much solid rock).
Buddy of mine took 50 stitches on his head, from a self launch that went bad at Lake Travis...was about 8-9 years ago.
Our lakes are awesome but some of them are surrounded by nothing but rock shoreline, so don't make a mistake or it gets bloody.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed May 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:The local Austin crew kite at Lake Pflugerville, Lake Belton, Lake Travis and in Corpus Christi.
I used to have a boat very much like the one you are using, only older and crappier.
We did a lot of boat launch kiting in Lake Travis, just like you are doing.
Not really that hard, once you get the hang of it.
Safer than some of the launch spots on Lake Travis when the lake is full (not a lot of room and pretty much solid rock).
Buddy of mine took 50 stitches on his head, from a self launch that went bad at Lake Travis...was about 8-9 years ago.
Our lakes are awesome but some of them are surrounded by nothing but rock shoreline, so don't make a mistake or it gets bloody.
That is a good point when it comes to lake kiting. The boat seems like alot of trouble, but it does get you clear of the hazards and lets you pick the best launch area based on winds. Also, even though inflating on a boat had be hard on a kite, it is often preferable to inflating and setting up on rocky shorelines.

In the fall here, the lake is dropped 5ft which creates some kite useable land. When the winds are SW or NE, I can kite on the cove that my dock is on. When this occurrs (and I am not at work) I can use my Kayak to get to some good launch spots. Seems to be much more zen on these days. :D
Kayak for kiting.jpg
Under the surfboard there is a TT and 2 kites. This is actually my favorite way to go out. :thumb:

Zen_Rider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Freshwater West & Newgale
Style: Big air, Freestyle, Wave
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Sun May 05, 2013 10:58 am

In 2010 I was driving round Central Asia in a camper with my fiancée, I had my kite gear with me despite it not exactly being renowned for kitesurfing, i managed a few pretty weird sessions and certainly entertained the locals.

1 - The Volga river, just north of Volgograd (http://goo.gl/maps/DVxM1) and again near Samara (http://goo.gl/maps/WHRQY) in Russia. Its about 500 - 800m wide with a moderate current, quite deep, but water was a bit smelly. Both were pretty sketchy launches inland and then a walk out to the river banks, good flat water but inland wind a bit flukey. Worked best in Samara where the wind was against the river current. Near Volgogard I couldn't stay upwind in the current so had to come inshore a way from where I was parked up, as I packed up the Russian police turned up and tried to fine me 100$ for not having a boat licence. Dripping wet I obviously had no money so they threatened to take my kite away until I paid, but as I hadn't deflated it yet I asked how they were going to fit it in their Lada, after about 40mins of stale mate they got board and left.

2 - In Siberia there were countless small shallow lakes that it tried on, below I remember especially as the water was so immensely saline that with a light wind board I could stand up with virtually no wind. http://goo.gl/maps/MmZDZ

3 - Lake Balkhash in Kazakhstan. Actually a beautifully kite spot, the lake water is super Turquoise and wind surprisingly consistent. Took some serious off road driving but when we found this remote peninsula we stayed for a week till our water ran out, I got a session in every day. Some local fishermen found us one day and were completely blown away to see kitesurfing, they came back that evening to share Vodka and some kind of huge unidentifiable salty fish. http://goo.gl/maps/mSYe5

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 am

Wow Zen Rider. Those are some truly unlikely locations and very impressive kiting adventure stories. It must have been a great feeling to kitesurf somewhere nobody else has ridden before. Glad your kite didn't get confiscated for "boating" without a license :lol: You definitely prove that it never hurts to have your kite gear close by as you never know when you may need it. :thumb:

ehull_2001
Rare Poster
Gear: HQ 4 meter foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ehull_2001 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 am

Hey KYLakeKiter. I'm glad to see someone has kited on a lake in Tennessee. I live in Knoxville and am looking for resources (ie. people who know what they're doing!) to help me get going on the many lakes around here. Does anyone know of anyone around here?? Any good recommendations for a water kiteboarding setup for lake kiting? I've been flying an HQ 4-meter foil to learn for ~ 6 months + a land board at the park. It's a great hobby.
Best.
Ethan

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:48 am

Hey Ethan. Sorry for the late response. I got your emails but didn't see that you had posted here. I will be glad to help get you on the right track for kiting in the lakes. I went to Nashville (Percy Priest lake) last fall and showed some guys how we boat launch. My buddy Steve and I pretty much have the boat launch thing down. We can put up to 3 kiters off the boat at one time, and we always leave one person as the safety on the boat since we have some current issues on the lake. I am always happy to take other kiters out on the lake and show them our system. The hard part is just finding the right day with wind to link up and get out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”