Forum for kitesurfers
TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: 2013 Blade Fat Lady

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 pm

I've been riding the Fat Lady V1 and V2 for the last year and half. I originally replaced my 2010 16m Rebel with the Fat lady V1 after trying the Turbine, Dyno 16 & 18, Infinity V1 prototype(all 2011 models). I did not choose the Fat Lady V1 based solely on it's lowend. In fact, the Turbine, Dyno 18, and my Rebel had a touch more lowend than the Fal lady V1. I choose the Fat lady V1 because it was the most fun to fly out of the bunch. The Fat Lady felt more like a 13-14m kite with the lowend of a 16-17m kite. Just for the record, I weigh 200 lbs and ride the Fat lady with high volume surfboards(>34 lit.) in San Diego coastal conditions. For me, I don't bother riding unless it's over 9 knots since you can't really do anything with a surfboard in under 9, even 10 is a challenge with a descent size swell. Also, in light onshore wind, it's mainly upwind wave riding with some hacks and airs as you are riding out. When it jumps to 12-13 knots with more side-shore conditions, down-the-line wave riding is do-able on the Fat Lady. It turns faster than all the big kites I've tried and has good drifting abilties for such a large sail, maybe a combo of the low-aspect ratio of the kite coupled with the actual weight of the kite.

The new Fat Lady has more lowend the the V1. The turning seems a tad bit slower(still faster than your usual big kite) and a little less pivoty. . Also, the v1 had a little fluttering in the turn when you cranked it hard, where the V2 I haven't noticed. The kite also seems a little bigger than the first version and and a touch more of a higher aspect ratio. Hard to tell, but I will lay them on top of each other a snap a pic soon. All in all, I like the V2 better for overall performance. The V2 also looks a bit more durable than the v1 as evidenced in the bumbers on the leading edge and the neoprene covers over the strut clips.

I have been using a 23 inch Slingshot bar with 27m lines, the same bar that comes with the Turbine. Seems to work just fine.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rodeoclown » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

http://youtu.be/jwbFs45zXEg

-a video from a Fat session early in the week.
Powered performance on tt's or directionals, just go for it!
Makes the most out of poor wind conditions thats for sure.
I have not found the top end of this kite yet either...it rocks! :o

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby URSS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:24 pm

I've been riding the Fat Lady V1 last year and just got the V2 2013 last week. After 2 rides I'm stoked! Blade has made a great job again.

It' the same DNA as V1 (fast turning, plenty of pop, easy relaunch) but with a bunch of improvements :
- the bar is perfect and comes with line extensions this year
- slightly slower turning speed but accelerates faster
- low end seems to be slightly better (6-8 knots but fun starts at 8-10 knots)
- high end : not tested yet but seems slightly better (good rider can probably manage 20 knots)
- much lower bar preasure than last year
- V2 doesn't seat as deep as V1 in the window, less lateral force, better upwind, same great POP

Here is a funny video (I think), to be taken to the second degree:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REslsxEZzEs

Tested in Cape Hatteras, April 28th, NE 8-16 knots and April 29th, NE 4-14 knots. Weight : 175 lbs. Board : F-One TX6 134x39cm and NSP surf board

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Just got mine last week, and tested in about as light as I want to go out (for a heavy guy anyways), 12-13kts with my tona and boots, in Ocean choppy stuff, and although not a whole lot of fun, at least I was able to stay upwind and mow the lawn, which beats sitting at home watching youtube videos; but I think once I introduce my SB to the FL, its gona be a match made in heaven for light winds.

Now this past Saturday I took the FL down to Key Largo (flat water) in 16-18kts then picked up a bit I'd say to 20, and holy shit (pardon my language) it felt perfect, I mean, this kite is an elevator monster, and the hangtime is fantastic, very smooth, the first boost, I about crapped my wetsuit, it completely caught me off guard how high I boosted. Relaunch very quick, but then again I was powered up, have to see in lighter conditions.

For such a big kite, it really does turn quick, had a dude ask me about the kite, when I told him was a 17 he couldn't believe it, 2 comments: one how quick it looked like it turned, and how it doesn't look that big in the sky, him and his friend though it was a 14. But I must admit the first time I pumped the kite up, I thought WTF did I do, this thing is ginormous.

Bar pressure is perfect, enough to feel the kite, but not enough to get you tired, I kited with the FL for 10 hrs (we haven't had winds these decent in a while, so I wasn't gona miss any of it) with only a 45 minute rest and my hands were torn from a switch bar a buddy let me borrow to test (55cm), but my arms/elbows were fine.
URSS wrote:After 2 rides I'm stoked! Blade has made a great job again.
As URSS pointed out, I'm sooooo stoked with this kite too! I can see the possibilities of being in the water more, I don't think my wife is gona be too happy though.

Only thing now is a bar; debating on the bar, it's not quite as quick with my wainman carrot bar (L) as it was on the switch 55cm bar (couldn't believe 5 cm's make that much difference), or at least it felt that way, so I'm debating between the blade bar, which I haven't been able to test or feel, I've seen it but not even touched it, or perhaps the mutiny bar, which looks incredible, and the grips is silky smooth. I like the switch bar, but that thing is like sand paper, tears you up quick. Any suggestions?

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Wed May 01, 2013 8:09 am

What knot on the rear lines is everyone using. The rear lines felt a little long to me, until the wind filled in. Did anyone have to make another knot on bridal? I just had a kite in 8-11kn flukey offshore and current working against me. No other kite I have ridden could have got me out the back and able to surf a wave. I think the kite has loads of potential but I feel I haven't got the kite tuned perfectly yet.

URSS
Rare Poster
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm

The longer back lines is the best setup (first knot).

With the second knot the FL has a tendency to back stall and you will only gain 1 knot on the low end. I ve been trying this setup in 5-7 knots. I didn't try this setup above 7 knots because I have enough power with the first knot. On the first knot the FL is impossible to back stall.

It was the same thing with V1.
Last edited by URSS on Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Wed May 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Please stop bigging up this kite.. Our shop keeps selling out so the extra one I keep adding to the Blade order for myself keeps getting sold to customers.... I blame the stoked riders telling everyone about it..

Don't buy one.. Don't believe all the reviews and riders... Its not true.. Its not actually that good..

And once I have actually secured a fat lady for myself.. You may then continue with being totally stoked..

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah! What he ↑ said. Fat Lady rocks ... I mean ... it sucks! :lol:

foxzone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake michigan
Favorite Beaches: hatteras
Style: freeride
Gear: XR6's

Postby foxzone » Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 am

What is a top end on V2 compare with V1? I have V1 and I (205lb) can hold 25mph. So range is great and needed on gusty lakes. I would like to have less bar pressure that you guys say is with V2. But I afraid that top end and overall wind range is smaller. That is my experience with kites with low bar pressure like LF Envy. Less bar pressure = smaller usable range.

URSS
Rare Poster
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 pm

V2 wind range is better than V1, no doubt about that. Both low and high end have been slightly improved.

The Fat Lady top end is much better than a lot of light wind kite I've been riding. This is essential in my aera (Montreal) where light wind sessions can start at 8 knots and ends at 20 knots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”