Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dept.

Forum for kitesurfers
SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dep

Postby SSK » Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Some like it better, others may not
That is what I have seen, and it tends to be a little counter intuitive. The hardcore SB fans seem to be a little dissapointed. These are usually your wakestyle guys wanting max grunt, pop, and lift. Those who were not previous fans of SBs seem to like them better because these were people wanting better turning and less bar pressure. I am in this category. I know someone who hated previous SBs but rides a 2013 for both surf and freestyle.
But as said, if someone does not realize that most will need to be tuned out of the bag, they will be dissapointed because it will be a dog until tuned. I think part of the problem is that people did not realize there was a an issue with the lines/bridle and assumed it was due to the changes in the kite.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed May 01, 2013 5:37 pm

SSK wrote:

The hardcore SB fans seem to be a little dissapointed. These are usually your wakestyle guys wanting max grunt, pop, and lift.

Hard core wakestylers don't ride bow kites. :lol:

Case in point
viewtopic.php?t=2380032&p=791077

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

trv3: the numbers are just my opinion...I have been riding Cabrinha's since the beginning and quite familiar with the products. Rather than saying like I sometimes do, "a bit less power,) i thought i would try a put a number to it

blacktip: the issue has nothing to do with the line length...properly tuned the lines will still have equal length/tension. The issue in my opinion is that the outside bridle line in about a cm too long

and JR: that's just BS :)

steve

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed May 01, 2013 7:30 pm

I believe that the hypothesis, explaining why some kites do not fly most efficiently, right out of the bag.... has been presented before on this forum.

Here is the rationale: Kites will not fly with the most available power if the rear (steering) kite lines are too long. The legal staff of kite companies have advised that the kites be sold in the most forgiving form, that is the form that is least likely to injure a new kite buyer... less power = less danger

Therefore, to make the kite fly most powerfully and thereby achieve its greatest potential, the new kite buyer must demonstrate the intent to achieve this more efficient, more powerful state, and therefore, more dangerous state... by actively demonstrating their expertise in understanding the principles of kite flight, and their assumption of risk in doing such modifications to make the kite flight more efficient and therefore more powerful, and consequently, more dangerous.

This policy of selling new kites with the rear lines set up to encourage the kite to fly in the least powerful state, during the initial flight of the kite, may be viewed as an attempt by the kite seller to minimize their liability...in an effort to divest themselves of the risk of legal action by inexperienced kite purchasers.

We live in a litigious world... it could be as simple as that to explain the long steering lines.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm

tomatkins wrote:I believe that the hypothesis, explaining why some kites do not fly most efficiently, right out of the bag.... has been presented before on this forum.

Here is the rationale: Kites will not fly with the most available power if the rear (steering) kite lines are too long. The legal staff of kite companies have advised that the kites be sold in the most forgiving form, that is the form that is least likely to injure a new kite buyer... less power = less danger

Therefore, to make the kite fly most powerfully and thereby achieve its greatest potential, the new kite buyer must demonstrate the intent to achieve this more efficient, more powerful state, and therefore, more dangerous state... by actively demonstrating their expertise in understanding the principles of kite flight, and their assumption of risk in doing such modifications to make the kite flight more efficient and therefore more powerful, and consequently, more dangerous.

This policy of selling new kites with the rear lines set up to encourage the kite to fly in the least powerful state, during the initial flight of the kite, may be viewed as an attempt by the kite seller to minimize their liability...in an effort to divest themselves of the risk of legal action by inexperienced kite purchasers.

We live in a litigious world... it could be as simple as that to explain the long steering lines.
wow, that's some legit cabrinha apologist bullshit. having a knot or two of less bottom end is not because they are afraid of being sued, it's because it's a different kite shape.

hausmex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto vallarta
Favorite Beaches: Bucerias
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kite and my shaped boards

Postby hausmex » Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 am

experienced1 wrote:trv3: the numbers are just my opinion...I have been riding Cabrinha's since the beginning and quite familiar with the products. Rather than saying like I sometimes do, "a bit less power,) i thought i would try a put a number to it

blacktip: the issue has nothing to do with the line length...properly tuned the lines will still have equal length/tension. The issue in my opinion is that the outside bridle line in about a cm too long

and JR: that's just BS :)

steve

Experienced1

Totally agree with you , the issue is the outside wingtip line length and kite design , las weekend I try the 2013 bar with old SB 2010 , Crossbow 2011 kites . The behavior of the kites are exactly the same whit the new and the old bar , conclusion is not the bar line length . Is the 2013 SB kite ! The 2013 is so far less power that the old ones .

So Tip : buy one extra size or try other brand .

In fact Canrinha has videos instructing people to do this openly admits that they screwed up in the Design .

IT'S ABSURD TO HAVE TO JERRY RIG A BRAND NEW FERRARI OUT OF THE DEALER !!!!!
Last edited by hausmex on Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 am

dyyylan wrote:
tomatkins wrote:I believe that the hypothesis, explaining why some kites do not fly most efficiently, right out of the bag.... has been presented before on this forum.

wow, that's some legit cabrinha apologist bullshit. having a knot or two of less bottom end is not because they are afraid of being sued, it's because it's a different kite shape.

Correct the SB 2013 it's a different kite ! Compared to the old editions !

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu May 02, 2013 2:14 am

there is no such thing as an outside bridle line on a switchblade. never has been.

hausmex
Rare Poster

Postby hausmex » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 am

bnthere wrote:there is no such thing as an outside bridle line on a switchblade. never has been.

Correct all editions is a wingtip direct line.

One thing we just can't change about the NEW 2013 SWITCHBLADE is that has less power

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Fri May 03, 2013 2:57 am

so, i have a few questions for this thread: even with appropriate backline tension, as set by someone who knows how to tune a kite properly, you are saying the 2013 12m or other sizes also has less power than previous switchblade models? in addition, how are you determining this, by feel alone? finally, why is this a "problem" (guessing you must have replaced an old 12 that felt more powerful and now your 8 9 10 11 11.5 12 13 14 16 17 quiver is all f'd up, but just curious). or is everyone just bitching about the stock knot placements being the way the design team likes it and not the way you like it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”