Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North adjustable footstraps for surf sucks. Recommendation?

Forum for kitesurfers
Youtch
Frequent Poster

North adjustable footstraps for surf sucks. Recommendation?

Postby Youtch » Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 am

I KNOW it is a clear sign that I should go strapless, but we were not all born Mitu Monteiro and besides straps are convenient for jumping and when it is totally choppy.

I have a North Nugget (model 2012), and the adjustable straps delivered with the board are indeed adjustable, except that they do not lock, and for as tight as you may adjust them, they will become totally loose in less than 10 minutes of riding.

I complained loudly to North about this, and the kiteshop was kind enough to send me another pair of footstraps produced by Ion (which I believe might be behind some North equipments). The straps had a slightly different design, but suffered from the same issue, they don t lock strong enough the position and become loose almost as quickly as you start putting your feet in.

The results of loose footstraps is quite bad: I ve been twisting my feet in the straps a couple of time, or even worse loosing one foot in the air while jumping, fearing for my knees to suffer on the landing.

Would anyone in the kiteforum community have a recommendation of straps that work for directionnal and are indeed adjustable, without getting loose?

Thank you very much in advance,
y.
Attachments
ion-strap-surf_HD2_V12.jpg
ion-strap-surf_HD2_V12.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 2953 times

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Re: North adjustable footstraps for surf sucks. Recommendati

Postby RideLow » Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 am

loose the straps will be my recommendation..

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 am

Different likings - one option could be the classic Dakine, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2369406&p=691936

I always mount the front strap with one inch bigger distance between the screws (one hole wider so to speak), so you can twist/angle the front foot more, and also get a bit more over the center of the board, without losing your "good connection" when jumping or riding waves/aerials.

I have not used the mentioned straps - only the North like this one, which I have had for some years on raceboards, quite comfy and works fine, but can be a bit of a hazzle to adjust when you forget where to push - but as I only do this two times a year (going from winter to spring/summer/autumn and reverse), it is no biggie.

Otherwise you can always go the "velcro" way, like most straps use - as they will hold for sure, and I prefer those.

:D Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm

RideLow wrote:loose the straps will be my recommendation..
Ridelow his problem is your typo "loose" straps...but i know you meant to write lose :lol:

Just like P.F. i have the 2011 North surf straps for my Whip and Freerace
I do exactly for years like he does and go one inch wider (from 6" to 7" for my feet's freedom)

I set my straps once and never have they loosened and i do not ride with them tight around my feet

I never have to change setting since i never need to wear booties

The trick to me was to feel / listen to a faint "click" when at the desired adjustment when you lock it

Under the strap cover the webbing tab adjuster slides under a hinged squared shape plastic piece

Push down the rear of that area with thumb til you feel a faint click which will mean it is locked down

That is how i did it with my awesome straps :wink:

Position the straps on board so that adjustment tab adjuster follows the flow of water

The back end of that tab should point towards the tail of board

....................................... :surf: :sun: :pump: .................................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”