MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Monk footstraps and footbeds

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 am

There are a lot of different Shinn pads and straps now.. in chronological order;
Original - finished 2010
Sneaker Original (big, wide and flat)
Sneaker RS (reduced size)
Sneaker S (new one size fits all version)
Sneaker X (as seen on new MF and Supershinn)
They are all still floating around there, so it's important to know which version people are talking about.

Straps and pads are such a personal thing, it's almost impossible to please everyone, but for the vast majority the sneakers do a pretty good job. Shinn have listened over the years, and are adaptive, which explains where there is more than one version, but there will always be exceptions..

The new Sneaker X has the most adjustability of all the versions, and I suspect that all new models from now on will have these as a standard issue. They are my favourite so far..

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Séb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Caesar wrote:
Séb wrote:I have the new Sneaker X and prefer it over the Sneaker S but that is all a personal preference thing here for sure. They are not as soft and not as thick but I prefer the feeling of the grip and also the shape of the pad bed is more flat and I prefer this too. Very easy to do one foot but no fear of loosing a feet during a big air jump. I use them with 3mm shoes and also with 7mm boot last fall with no problem. However i did not had the chance to try barefoot yet. Theses are my most comfortable and favorite pads/strap combo I have had. And the new Monk Forever is incredible too ;)
<sarcasm on>Mate, why would you wear shoes and boots while kiting? The water is 28°C and you wont need these sort of things.<sarcasm off>
Talk to you soon.

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Ah ah, let just say my climate is slightly different then yours :-? Actually we have to use skis to ride but you probably don't know what I'm talking about :lol:

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

MikeBirt wrote:There are a lot of different Shinn pads and straps now.. in chronological order;
Original - finished 2010
Sneaker Original (big, wide and flat)
Sneaker RS (reduced size)
Sneaker S (new one size fits all version)
Sneaker X (as seen on new MF and Supershinn)
They are all still floating around there, so it's important to know which version people are talking about.

Straps and pads are such a personal thing, it's almost impossible to please everyone, but for the vast majority the sneakers do a pretty good job. Shinn have listened over the years, and are adaptive, which explains where there is more than one version, but there will always be exceptions..

The new Sneaker X has the most adjustability of all the versions, and I suspect that all new models from now on will have these as a standard issue. They are my favourite so far..
I bought my board in the late fall. Here's a pix of the pads and straps it came with. I agree that they are a personal item and hard to make perfect for everyone. I have isolated the problem to some plastic that is inside the strap that is an extension of the tab that the screws go thru to attach it to the board. I will contact the folks at Shinn and see if they have any suggestions.
Attachments
Shinn Foot strap.jpg
Shinn Foot strap.jpg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 4211 times

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 am

ed257 wrote:Here's a pix of the pads and straps it came with.
That is a Sneaker S, the second most recent generation of strap.
I've not seen any plastic protruding on the pairs I use, but then, either I have not looked hard enough, or used them enough..

You are in the states?

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
ed257 wrote:Here's a pix of the pads and straps it came with.
That is a Sneaker S, the second most recent generation of strap.
I've not seen any plastic protruding on the pairs I use, but then, either I have not looked hard enough, or used them enough..

You are in the states?
Mike,

The plastic is inside the strap where your small toe and outside of foot contacts the strap. In the pix it is the left side first couple of inches after attachment point.

It seems to be attached to the plastic tab that the screws go through to hold the strap on to the board. I am going to try to slide a piece of foam padding into the strap to cushion that portion of the strap.

I am in Massachusetts.

Ed

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am

For those of you like me who are bothered by the lower outside of your Shinn Monk footstraps when riding barefoot, I came up with a simple solution to this problem.

I removed the outside screw and inserted a piece of foam into the strap on top of the plastic that has no foam on it (the first inch or so). This solved the problem for me. I cut this foam out of an old sneaker insole. Perfect now. No more sore toes or feet!

Ed
Attachments
shinn footstrap.jpg
shinn footstrap.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 3891 times

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 am

I have the original Shinn Sneakers and I have a big problem with this issue.

The reason it seems to me is that the straps only easily adjust from the outside (adjusting the inside requires removing the outside's bolt). This is bad because if you have large feet or wear booties then you end up having the outside raised up quite a bit and your foot presses up against the hard plastic.

I have switched my straps (just straps, not pads) to make it so that the easily adjustable side is the inside of the foot. The shape of the strap isn't exactly designed for this but it still feels good enough. This is much better because there is almost no pressure on the inside sides and cheaper than buying better pads and straps.

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul
Been thanked: 0

Postby JessicaWinkler » Fri May 03, 2013 2:13 pm

There is a new Shinn pad/strap called the Sneaker X for this year. I'd be curious to hear what that's about.[/quote]

The new pads are great. They have a new strap that can adjust to fit smaller feet like mine and are made with a soft gel like material which makes them really comfortable. The pads are a bit thinner and break in pretty fast.
Attachments
DSC_3382.jpg

brokenarrow
Medium Poster
Style: All
Gear: airush shinn slingshot dakine
Been thanked: 0

Postby brokenarrow » Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm

The sneaker x straps are awesome. They have more adjustment points to change the angle of the strap and also the pad can now be adjusted. Although less "flush" than the sneaker s!, I think the sneaker x! fits perfectly and is very comfortable. The pads are still memory foam and the straps are now adjusted with a webbing instead of velcro.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:40 am

I have tried many different types of pads and straps and up until trying the sneaker x, the LF Luxury setup was my favourite. I was leery of the sneaker x system, but after using them a ton in Hatteras I have nothing but good things to say. My feet never come out unintentionally and they have a good amount of cushioning.

What is with the maxi pad graphic on the girls board pictured above? I take it the board is for girls with a good sense of humour. I hope the bottom isn't red.

Return to “Kitesurfing”