Looperrr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Size of light wind board?

Postby Looperrr » Fri May 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi guys!
I've been riding for 2 years now. My everyday gear is 135cm Wainman Hawaii Blunt and 14m North Evo. Love them but when wind goes under 6m there is nothing much i can do. So decided that i need light wind board as well. Have heard many good words about Aboards Glider and think that it could be my choice. Yet don't understand for which size I should go? Differences seems pretty considerable - 147x45, 154x48, 164x50. Want to stay with the same one kite. Which size would go the best for 1,83m tall around 85kg guy?

vrossi46
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: PRASONISI RHODES GREECE , PAROS-KITE GREECE , AG.ANDREAS KITE BEACH GREECE
Style: GREEK :)
Gear: BLADE KITES , ABOARDS KITEBOARDING/SNOWKITE BOARDS

Re: Size of light wind board?

Postby vrossi46 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 am

if you are thinking of buying a bigger kite then go for the 154x48 Aboards Glide, else go for the 164 Glide.
Both boards are very light and very well built.
154 Glide is a bit more playful than 164.
Hope that helps

George B.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat May 04, 2013 2:54 am

My friend that I kite with who is about 87kg rides a Spleene Barndoor 159 for light winds. I have ridden it a bunch as well and I find it to be a great light wind utility board. It gets going in bare minimum wind and goes upwind as early as possible. It is not an exciting ride, but it definitely gets the job done. I ride a 5ft 8in x 21 in surfboard in light wind. I think I can get going even slower than the door, but cannot go upwind as soon. I have also seen good reviews on the forum about the Crazyfly with the center fin. I think Kamikuza has one and likes it, so maybe he can weigh in here.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sat May 04, 2013 3:39 am

Looperrr wrote:Hi guys!
Which size would go the best for 1,83m tall around 85kg guy?
I'm about your size and weight and i use the FlyDoor XL that comes with a center fin. starts really early and goes upwind like nothing else. after a few sessions you will do all your tricks with this big board so don't worrie about the size. it exist in two different sizes.

check here http://www.flysurfer.com/produkte/boards/flydoor4/

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:My friend that I kite with who is about 87kg rides a Spleene Barndoor 159 for light winds. I have ridden it a bunch as well and I find it to be a great light wind utility board. It gets going in bare minimum wind and goes upwind as early as possible. It is not an exciting ride, but it definitely gets the job done. I ride a 5ft 8in x 21 in surfboard in light wind. I think I can get going even slower than the door, but cannot go upwind as soon. I have also seen good reviews on the forum about the Crazyfly with the center fin. I think Kamikuza has one and likes it, so maybe he can weigh in here.
Nah, I've got the Flydoor XL with the center fin... 170x50. If I were buying again, I think I'd go for the smaller board cos I prefer to have the power in the kite :) I don't weigh 87kg though :(

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am

I have the Flydoor 170 also and it is perfect for light winds. It skates a little when you go a little toe side as it only has two fins plus centre fin....I am thinking of adding another two fins. What do you think? :?:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Yea, the Barndoor feels odd toeside as well. Even though it has 4 fins, the toeside fins are set inboard a couple of inches. I'm no expert, but I would not think that adding toeside fins to the flydoor would hurt since they would be mostly out of the water riding heelside. The worst part would be committing to drilling holes in your nice board.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sat May 04, 2013 6:23 pm

About 6 mo ago i bought a sector v2 - my first directional board & i bought it to learn how to race, but ....
Am finding it is an awesome awesome lightwind board.
So there are newer better directional "freerace" boards that are amazing lightwind boards - for a lightwind and gusty lake I think a board like that (in narrower width to be more maneuverable) and a bar with a 4:1 depower so that you can easily quickly adjust - think riding one hand on bar & one hand trlimming power all the time.
Sounds like a perfect setup????

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Postby austroKiter » Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

May I also suggest getting something similar to an Underground Kipuna Fish. I ride the UG 5"10' fish strapless and it's so much more fun than a door in light winds. Goes upwind really well too.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Can only second knot_moving and austroKiter, have you thought about a directional for your lightwind board ?

Maybe you have, and want a TT, then forget our suggestions :wink:

But if you havent, then you could consider using a freerace board and be able to ride in even lighter wind, jump even higher, and maybe have more fun :thumb:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”