Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kook Proof Line Connection - are we there yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kook Proof Line Connection - are we there yet?

Postby L0KI » Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Ecoastprock wrote:Is there any way to connect these

to a RRD kite? I have 2 bars but they both use carbinha style connection points, the opposite of the RRD connections.

I don't really want to alter the bar because i use it for another kite. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this??
Yes, I have a Crown Royal bag full of little leaders and pigtails that have collected over the years.
Very easy to change most bars to accommodate most kites and to deal with line stretch from fronts to backs, or for uneven stretch from lefts to rights.

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ecoastprock » Sat May 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks!

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun May 05, 2013 2:40 am

no matter which way you flip any of those around, you can easily make a legit connection from any end of any of those connectors to any end of another one of those connectors.

for someone that (assuming) uses a high powered kite capable of launching themselves 30 feet in the air and has to make smart decisions at all times while using that kite, how is something like line connections not obvious.

think.

on a less harsh note: universal line connectors (a loop with a stopper knot at the center of it) are nice to have on your line ends, that way you always have the right connection regardless of what kite your flying with your bar.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun May 05, 2013 6:02 am

The problem is not how we connect lines to our kites, but 1. how people fail to double check their connections 2. understand fully how a kite and it's bar work.

I learned on Wainmans and they have no kook proof line connections just color coded lines. I never launched a kite with my lines wrong. Not saying I never connected them with a back line wrapped around a front line just never launched.

Now I'm on Slingshot Fuels and they are kook proof B and color coded. Same goes for the Wainmans. Never launched my kite with the lines messed up.

Here is the secrete I take the 30 seconds it takes to make sure my lines are connected correctly. I do it every time I launch. I even check my lines when I go back out after a break. Why? because anything can happen and it only takes a second.

I'm not against a standardized connection I'm more indifferent to it. What I'm for is people being taught better and actually learning about their gear that fundamentally can put their life and others on and off the water in danger.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Unlike you I'm not perfect. Give me the kook proofs.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Whenever I teach people to set up their lines, I tell them they are designed to be simple to connect properly, and more difficult to connect improperly. There will always be someone with their head on backwards, their impact/pfd on inside out and their harness upside down.

I encourage people to get into a routine, double check there lines when they first rig up, then triple check whenever they find some body to launch them and are heading back to the bar. However, the routine only helps if kiteboarding is part of your routine. If you go only a few sessions every other month it would be in your best interest to search youtube or your brands website for videos on using that specific equipment. Download it to your phone and watch it the day before you plan to kite and right before your session. Most importantly, don't worry about the 5 extra minutes you might save by not checking your setup or being certain you have de-kooked your lines.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm

it is not about being perfect

it is about taking the time to do it right

any sport that can kill you deserves at least that much respect

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

fokiten wrote:
anytime you are faced with a kook proof situation, you know you've one foot in the cowpie...

One comment....as opposed to no comment :wink:

Buy complete kite+bar..do not mix brands..do not detach your lines after your session
Learn to pack everything down perfectly every time (as if you will jump out of airplane the next time)
Visual inspect as you unroll lines from bar and visual inspect right before launching
Remember no system is perfect ...it still needs the human element

As anyone ever tried cow tipping at night when they are sleeping? Just wondering about the cowpie

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 pm

[/quote]Buy complete kite+bar..do not mix brands..do not detach your lines after your session
Learn to pack everything down perfectly every time (as if you will jump out of airplane the next time)
Visual inspect as you unroll lines from bar and visual inspect right before launching
Remember no system is perfect ...it still needs the human element[/quote]

whatever richard branson, wish i could buy a bar for every kite i have and ever had, totally overkill tho.

one bar, many kites is how things work in the real world.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun May 05, 2013 6:25 pm

bnthere wrote: whatever richard branson, wish i could buy a bar for every kite i have and ever had, totally overkill tho.
one bar, many kites is how things work in the real world.

Some people do truly enjoy taking parts off then put them back on at a later time

Return to “Kitesurfing”