Forum for kitesurfers
jaystore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY
Has thanked: 0

Define the "perfect harness"

Postby jaystore » Mon May 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Normally kiters under evaluate the importance of an ergonomic harness and the result could be very painfull like in the attached magnetic resonance imaging. You can see the lumbar vertebras are deformed and some also touch each other.
Let discuss this topic and compare the different solutions that are actually available on the market, the goal is to define the guidelines for a “perfect harness”.
Kiters styles demand are:
Freestyle needs freedom of movement
Freeride needs comfort for long session
Wave ride needs freedom of movement
More aged needs more comfort
Snowkite with ski needs a side pull
Racing needs light feather equipment but good support for a very stressed back
Attachments
backbone.png

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Define the "perfect harness"

Postby FrederikS » Mon May 06, 2013 2:39 pm

For me a good harness gives good lower back support and allows for good mobility especially the legs. I use a small seat harness and mostly do racing. Comfort comes from it not being in the way and dispersing the pull from the kite well. The most stressed part of your body while racing current generation race boards is the legs, not so much the back if you are in a seat harness.

Most annoying thing on my NP seat harness is that the leg straps provide some resistance to movement when you try to tack and gybe. They kind of dig into the back of my upper thighs.

So something that is more adjustable with perhaps different types of leg straps is welcome. I am tall and slender which makes fit a bit harder (196 cm tall, 81 kg).

kitenake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pismo
Favorite Beaches: portugal spain australia
Style: WAKE
Gear: slingy fuels
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitenake » Tue May 07, 2013 2:58 am

The perfect harness is one that is molded to you directly to your back.

Ride Engine :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 8.31.14 AM.png

jaystore
Frequent Poster

Postby jaystore » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 am

kitenake wrote:The perfect harness is one that is molded to you directly to your back.

I've never tried this harness but from my professional point of view this is a "backbone killer" shape.
We designed a similar shape for snowkite 2 years ago, but it was painful to ride without leg straps no matter how rigid it was. This is my opinion and I hope I'm wrong, maybe at Engine they found the right compromise.

However I think that the main guideline for harness's designer is the right compromise among (in order of importance): health, rider's comfort, performance boost, easy usage, durability and fashion.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 am

jaystore wrote:
kitenake wrote:The perfect harness is one that is molded to you directly to your back.

I've never tried this harness but from my professional point of view this is a "backbone killer" shape.
We designed a similar shape for snowkite 2 years ago, but it was painful to ride without leg straps no matter how rigid it was. This is my opinion and I hope I'm wrong, maybe at Engine they found the right compromise.

However I think that the main guideline for harness's designer is the right compromise among (in order of importance): health, rider's comfort, performance boost, easy usage, durability and fashion.
They have enough riders using it now for there to be negative comments.

So far it appears to be THE harness to ride.

I understand there are a LOT of top riders using the Engine harness. Hadlow included!

JaanTatikas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pirita, Vääna, Nõva
Been thanked: 0

Postby JaanTatikas » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 am

North Styler defines the perfect harness.

jaystore
Frequent Poster

Postby jaystore » Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Tone wrote:
jaystore wrote:

They have enough riders using it now for there to be negative comments.

So far it appears to be THE harness to ride.

I understand there are a LOT of top riders using the Engine harness. Hadlow included!
You mean this harness is aimed to top riders, "THE harness to ride" is a too general definition.
If you use it please define features that can be a benefit or not for user taking under account the kiter's demand listed at the beginning of this topic.

For example a small and rigid harness gives advantages in freedom of movement but could it compromise ribs when the kiter has a violent impact with the water? The spreaderbar has alredy broken many ribs around the world! Plus, how can you state it won't damage the backbone as highlighted in the picture? For sure lumbar pain is a kiter's disease like tennis elbow (solution:low pressure control bar), knee pain (solution: soft shock absorber board pads) etc...

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Tue May 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I have been riding my Engine harness now for 6 weeks and it is by far the best harness I have had in 14yrs, and I've had lots.

it's carbon shell in rigid, meaning it doesn't fold, compress or twist under loads and as such protects your back more. it has a lot of very thick neoprene padding and is very comfortable. it is small, lightweight and does not move like other harnesses' do.

It allows my dynabar to do its job and to me feels it transfers the power of the kite better.

bear in mind, Alldredge, Rebstock, Hadlow and Light are paying for these, not getting them free like they did with other brands, tells you something.

mike

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Ditto to what Mike said. Engine has something really special with these harnesses. It is unbelievable how comfortable they are and how well a sliding hook works with them.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

interesting graphics!

now I have a proof that the waist not only kills my back!

And this is why ride the green arrow...the waist/seat combo.
But...there are also differences...but I found one that fits perfectly and does not give me any pain on the rips or back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”