Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go when the wind is low? (South Florida)

Forum for kitesurfers
bahflorida
Rare Poster
Local Beach: jupiter fl
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to go when the wind is low? (South Florida)

Postby bahflorida » Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Good afternoon fellas.

As the summer months approach in South Florida, it looks like the wind is going to die down and I won't be able to get my kiting fix by sitting on the beach twiddling my thumbs. Or so I hear.

As a new kiter (still learning the board) I'm wondering what areas would provide shallow waters while still enough wind to get me up and about. Trying to learn in 6 foot waves crashing over my head has been unproductive so far. lol (I'm in the Jupiter Area)

I understand that the winds are light in the summer, but I know theres got to be sometime and place where I can go.

My research so far:
-Miami Flats
-Hammocks?(miami area)
-Annes Beach (islamorada area)

I really think if i can find a good weekend off, I could head to Annes beach in Islamorada and practice. Surely that would get me up and going.

Thanks all

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Where to go when the wind is low? (South Florida)

Postby dyyylan » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Yeah, summer here kind of sucks. Judging by the wind recently it is already here too, I wouldn't expect many more good days at this point.

There are some decent thermal winds in the summer, however. If you have a big kite, you might be able to kite a few days per week. Not really with any power, or able to go upwind, but you'll be able to ride a bit and practice, at least.

It seems to get worse the farther south you go. Jupiter gets some nice sea breezes over summer, but every time I've checked Islamorada it's always been dead. I would guess that there isn't enough land to create the temperature gradient that drives the wind up in the summer.

Yes, learning in the waves kind of sucks. The good news, is that we don't get waves during the summer either. So you might be able to catch some of the thermal wind and get up and riding before the waves really kick in. If you drive about 30-45 minutes south, the waves will be dramatically smaller as well - Jupiter is about as far south as you can go to get surfable waves, farther south than that and it turns to mush. I've heard it's because the Bahamas block most of the swell.

If you *DO* find a day where there is a great forecast, Anne's Beach is probably the best spot to learn, it's super flat water and shallow. The launching area is pretty sketchy, so definitely get your kite control down before heading there.

Matheson and Crandon both have a ton of rules and restrictions (and cost money), so I've never bothered going there. Miami is kind of a clusterfuck for kiting so I try to stay away.

If you're willing to take a trip, the Outer Banks in North Carolina are firing during the summer and it's ideal conditions for learning while it's dead here. Steady wind and knee to waist deep water in the Sound.

Either way, you'll get some kiting in, it just kind of sucks. It's the perfect time to get used to getting up and riding consistently though, I'm sure if you catch the windy days over the summer you'll be ready for next season.

Pray for hurricanes!

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 am

Florida Summers do suck, hit Rixen (cable) and get your board skills sharpen, not 100%, but beats sitting around doing jack on the beach.

Learning in waves does suck, but think of it this way, if you can ride in the ocean, you can pretty much ride anywhere. Besides, once you get it, is a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am

not sure what your budget is but I can highly recommend a kite trip. there is nothing like 7 or so days of non-stop wind to improve your skills and the trip of a life time. being in Miami you can get non-stop to any Caribbean island and look for last minute specials.

if no budget for airplanes then a big road trip to TX will get you wind through june and maybe later on a good year. once july/aug hits in my opinion the only place in the US worth travel $ is west coast (gorge, SF, ...) or HI.

JessicaWinkler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Turks & Caicos
Style: Surf, freestyle, speed
Gear: RRD Boards: Bliss, Maquina, C.O.T.A.N
RRD Kites: Obsession, Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Adidas Eyewear, LifeProof, MG Surfline, Freeride Project, GlideSoul
Been thanked: 0

Postby JessicaWinkler » Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm

bahflorida wrote:Good afternoon fellas.

As the summer months approach in South Florida, it looks like the wind is going to die down and I won't be able to get my kiting fix by sitting on the beach twiddling my thumbs. Or so I hear.

As a new kiter (still learning the board) I'm wondering what areas would provide shallow waters while still enough wind to get me up and about. Trying to learn in 6 foot waves crashing over my head has been unproductive so far. lol (I'm in the Jupiter Area)

I understand that the winds are light in the summer, but I know theres got to be sometime and place where I can go.

My research so far:
-Miami Flats
-Hammocks?(miami area)
-Annes Beach (islamorada area)

I really think if i can find a good weekend off, I could head to Annes beach in Islamorada and practice. Surely that would get me up and going.

Thanks all
Well to be honest with you I would fly to Merida, Mexico. It's only a 1 hour flight & there is wind pretty much everyday here. The water is shallow and it's a terrific learning place. www.kitebeachyucatan.com There is links to the wind and info on the area :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”