Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

17 die kiteboarding in US in 2012 ?!

Forum for kitesurfers
madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: 17 die kiteboarding in US in 2012 ?!

Postby madworld » Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 am

edt wrote:
Toby wrote:But good read with good advices!

Shame that one person hurt a little girl on the beach and ran away!
This one is believable but if you make stuff up one place why not make it up another? I actually dont believe a single thing in that article. There is probably some political point to be made by scaring people about how dangerous kiters are to themselves and others.

I know to be true the two kite related incidents, I even know the kook that hung it on the tour boat ( commercial vessel mentioned ).

I believe that all content mentioned was in good faith and true, minus possible honest mistakes in accuracy. The only agenda I know of is to promote safety, maintain access and prevent onerous regulations.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 am

madworld wrote:The only agenda I know of is to promote safety, maintain access and prevent onerous regulations.

tks mad that is reassuring

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Mon May 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Good safety reminder for sure...but 17!?!

I found it a little encouraging that the USCG (in this letter, anyway) seemed to respect that you are a sailing vessel, and step up to there responsibility in that regard too.

Around here it seems to me that if you needed a rescue due to some failure kiting, the local rescue gets very pissed and you are obviously an idiot. But, go out in your boat and have it break, well then it is, 'hey, shit happens, not problem, that's what we are here for!' Maybe because kiting is somewhat of a newer thing for them to cover. Nobody likes there job to change.

So, can anyone remember a US fatality from 1012? There was the guy from Hatteras that went missing (very sad), and I remember one from France that wouldn't count here...
Start a list...it will be very short. Rick keeps track, doesn't he?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, I do keep track of fatalities worldwide, the ones I learn of. It has become a lot more difficult given the reduction in reported accidents on here or via email in the last few years. Still there are ways of finding reports despite this. I am away from my database right now but should have access to it later on today. As I recall, the worldwide total of fatalities in 2012 was less than 17 with the USA portion being a small fraction of that.

If someone could email a copy of this report to me it would be good to review it in detail and in particular the factual basis for the claim of 17 kiting fatalities in the USA in one year. You don't want the authorities to have inflated loss estimates, if indeed that is the case. It certainly seems so at this point.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 pm

17 is a gross misrepresentation. The writer hasn't credibility; not worth my time to read further.

Could there be some accurate information contained? Yes, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Typing error ?
Replace the word "died" with "injured" ?
What if 17 is for SF bay area only in 2012 ?
Who will unscramble this mystery ? :idea:
Last edited by SupaEZ on Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 pm

supa 17 is way low for injuries it's way high for deaths. I can think of a dozen torn acls from people I have kited with! The only thing 17 can possibly be is a number pulled out of thin air.

There is NO central location keeping track of kitesurfing related injuries. It does not exist! Absolutely no way to get the stats.

Rick Lossi is the best you can do, pour over newspapers, online groups, word of mouth and compile the accidents and injuries one by one into your own database.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

edt wrote:supa 17 is way low even if all you count is ACLs torn and it's way too high to be deaths. I can think of a dozen torn acls from people I have kited with! The only thing 17 can possibly be is a number pulled out of thin air.

There is NO central location keeping track of kitesurfing related injuries. It does not exist! Absolutely no way to get the stats.

Rick Lossi is the best you can do, pour over newspapers, online groups, word of mouth and compile the accidents and injuries one by one into your own database.
17 ACL's last year where you live?

SUPA, no you cannot "just" change died to injured..there is a world of difference, and it is NOT an honest mistake to write died instead of injured.
I'm with JS on this. It is a gross misrepresentation.

If I was to speculate I think 17 has died across the world doing kiteboarding for as long as kiteboarding has existed.

This is not an extreme sport. Fun? Hell yeah. Extreme? Nope.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Not per year that's just a total still you know what I mean injuries probably in the hundred 17 way too low

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 pm

2012 was the lowest year for fatalities in many years based upon reports I have seen. Technology and maturing of the sport seem likely causes of the improvement. Compare this to 2009 when there were 24 reported fatalities worldwide with four in the USA. There may well have been losses I haven't heard about as always but it is unlikely there were many such unreported accidents in the USA in 2012 based upon past years.

I have heard about two USA fatalities in 2012 they included a squall related fatality in Witchita, Kansas and a drowning in Malibu, California in 2012.

Worldwide, I heard about a total of nine fatalities including the two in the USA in 2012.
They included losses in Oostduinkerke, Belgium; Phuket, Thailand; Western Australia; Redcliffe, Australia and Mecklenburg, Germany, Walchensee, Germany, Sotavento, Canary Islands plus the two in the USA.

I suspect there have been other fatalities worldwide that I haven't heard about in 2012. In addition to the diminished reporting of such accidents on kiteforum, google got rid of a very helpful foreign language search feature that has hurt the ability to do broad easy searches worldwide.

I would appreciate it if people would report other fatalities than those listed to me via flkitesurfer (at) hotmail.com. Each such accident is a tragedy and information from these sad accidents may provide an important means of avoiding repetition.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Last edited by RickI on Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”