Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for foot strap placement input on 2013 north ltd.

Forum for kitesurfers
Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for foot strap placement input on 2013 north ltd.

Postby Billy B. » Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 am

Any one who has ridden this? I know it is just about the same as the mikes lab (cobra factory in Thailand )??

I would love input if it rides better in the front inserts, middle or rear inserts. Or perhaps centered on the pattern with the width of your choice??

I can't ride for several weeks and am just staring at it dreaming...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for foot strap placement input on 2013 north ltd

Postby ronnie » Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 am

You can see at least where Maxime places his and maybe where the others do too by setting this to 1080.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:13 am

Billy B. wrote:Any one who has ridden this? I know it is just about the same as the mikes lab (cobra factory in Thailand )??

I would love input if it rides better in the front inserts, middle or rear inserts. Or perhaps centered on the pattern with the width of your choice??

I can't ride for several weeks and am just staring at it dreaming...
The placement depends very much on your weight, your skill level and water conditions.

Here are some pointers:

Back Straps: The Farther back, the more leverage you will have on the fin, eg less pressure. This works if the wind is strong and the water is flat. The lighter the wind you want to move the strap father up to be able to push the board harder on the upwind

Front Straps: The farther forward you go, the more stable (less jumpy)the boards gets, but also slower.

Rule of thumb. Start in the middle, and see how the board rides. Then adjust accordingly.

--
Gunnar

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Mon May 20, 2013 4:26 am

I had my first day on my new North LTD today and it seems really nice. I made almost all my tacks today which is rare for me.

But I can't understand the 6 footstrap arrangement. The extra two rear footstraps hit your back foot toes constantly.. I just can't ride with the two extra straps. The promotional videos show most of the team riders riding with only four straps and that is certainly the way I will try next. Too bad they didn't put inserts in the rear center area for a fifth strap like most race boards do.

On the plus side the straps are very nice.. comfy but firm enough so they hold their shape.

On the negative side I was disappointed that the fin boxes were all too large and very crude. I have spent several hours with epoxy and sandpaper building up the inside of the Tuttle fin boxes so Tuttle base fins fit properly.

On the plus side the stock North fins feel great. I have two 42cm and one 40 cm. I have no idea how they compare in performance to my Rista fins.

:wink: Chris Glazier

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 am

cglazier wrote: The promotional videos show most of the team riders riding with only four straps and that is certainly the way I will try next. Too bad they didn't put inserts in the rear center area for a fifth strap like most race boards do.
Can you just get longer rear fin screws and put a 5th foot strap there?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue May 21, 2013 4:48 am

davesails7 wrote:Can you just get longer rear fin screws and put a 5th foot strap there?
I wish it was that easy. Tuttle fins have screws about 4 1/8" apart and footstraps usually mount with screws about 6 1/4" apart. Also the North board fin screws are deeply recessed into the board (this is actually very nice). It would take installing at least one new insert to mount a fifth foot strap. The best riders don't often use the fifth strap so maybe I will just force myself to get by without it.. going downwind fast is going to be scary.

Incidentally, I mounted the basic four footstraps in their middle positions and they feel fine.

:wink: CG

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue May 21, 2013 9:08 am

I have repositioned the mounting holes in straps before to get a better fit - usually for length. It might work to drill and burn offset holes so the outboard strap is more outboard and the inboard strap is more inboard?

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest

Postby swell » Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 am

From how it rides the straps should be all the way forward, otherwise the board bounces pretty much.
They also should test the boards befor production - not all the riders have small footsize, mine is euro 47 and its hell f***g uncomfortable for the front foot as the board is very canted on the outline, the back foot seems OK.
Otherwise great board, good build quality and fast, if you choose the right fins (I assume the original NKB would work very well). Don't let some "big names" to sell you absolutely inappropriate fins though...

adamharr
Rare Poster

Postby adamharr » Wed May 22, 2013 2:20 am

davesails7 wrote:
cglazier wrote: The promotional videos show most of the team riders riding with only four straps and that is certainly the way I will try next. Too bad they didn't put inserts in the rear center area for a fifth strap like most race boards do.
Can you just get longer rear fin screws and put a 5th foot strap there?
hey dave, how did you get the chicken strap for your board?
cheers

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 am

adamharr wrote:
davesails7 wrote: Can you just get longer rear fin screws and put a 5th foot strap there?
hey dave, how did you get the chicken strap for your board?
cheers
I don't have one. I was hoping there was a way to set up a strap just using the fin screws, but doesn't look like it is that easy.

I have a US size 9.5 shoe and my foot fits between the rear fin screw holes, but it's tight. Also the screws are recessed into the deck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”