madcowboy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

15m or 20m lines???????

Postby madcowboy » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:57 am

Hi folks,
I'm going to do a kitetrip in a real windy place, I got a Bt 12 with 25m lines and I'd like to get anoter shorter set, what do u suggest to me, 15 or 20m ones?
Are the 15m too short?
Cheers brotta

Scott Evil
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott Evil » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:51 am

My kites (Naish) rig on 20 m lines with an additional 7m extension for a total of 27.

I have flown them on just the 20 and it kind of sucks. You have the shortest of short power strokes so low end sucks, also the kite flies way forward in the window (great for going upwind when you're powered) but very unforgiving if you're not that good, riding a really small board, or if it's gusty.

Some guys are running really short lines, but I can't imagine going shorter than 20m. IMHO etc.

Is there any kiting on the Amalfi coast in Italy? I might be there late Sept. help me!

madcowboy
Frequent Poster

Postby madcowboy » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:54 am

No in Amalfi sorrounding there are no beach, only rocks!

Scott Evil
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott Evil » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:29 pm

Thanks Cowboy

It sounds like you need to but a smaller kite for your trip, short lines will only get you so far, cheers

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:52 am

Where are you going??

Hey short lines work great with big slow low AR kites. Never used 15m lines but have never had any problems with 20m lines, it depends on your kite....

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:48 am

Don't know about 15m lines (22 m is shortest i've ever been on). BUT: with lines that short, you must have 2 separate front line leaders. Otherwise with 2 front lines going to 1 front leader, the front edge of kite gets pinched closed and the kite will fly really goofy.

Also, it's easy with Q-power lines, to make 15 m lines with as many sets of extensions as you want. Just terminate extension with "figure 8 on a bight" knot, make sure there's not a long loose end hanging off the figure 8, & slip knot the extension on.

Here's how to cut Q-power:

- cut w/sharp scissors
- burn end w/cig lighter
- tie overhand stopper knot close to burnt end
- tie the figure 8 on a bight

When you have to adjust line lengths, you need 2 pairs needlenose pliers to undo figure 8 on a bight, it's not hard but it's not easy either.

Newman
Rare Poster

Postby Newman » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:40 am

Hey Yo Waddup,

So Anyway, I use a custom pulley bar with the leaders only as long as the pulley triangle plus I need an extra inch to attatch the lines above the pulley. That makes my leaders about 1 and a 1/2 foot long. Then I run 25m lines.

When the mood takes I want short lines so I halve my lines by attatching the ends back to the top of my leaders. So if you can imagine that leave me with a loop of line at the tops of my leaders.COOL STUFF DUDE! Then all you do is walk each one out individually to make sure the exact middle of the line is at the end of the line (somehow that makes sense) and use that normal bend the loop over the back connection knot. SICKNESS!

Now you have 13's and stuff. Just rig at least one size bigger and enjoy. VOIALA!

Return to “Kitesurfing”