Forum for kitesurfers
hoetthai
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

slingshot rally 14m(2013) unhooked riding

Postby hoetthai » Sun May 05, 2013 12:04 pm

i wanna replace my rpm14 for a rally2013 because of the lightwind conditions and strong current @ my homespot.
Its so difficult for me to ride upwind in this conditions but the guys on the rally 14 seems to ride upwind alot easier.
So my question : will this kite perform for wakestyle?

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: slingshot rally 14m(2013) unhooked riding

Postby jrfiol » Sun May 05, 2013 12:38 pm

hoetthai wrote:i wanna replace my rpm14 for a rally2013 because of the lightwind conditions and strong current @ my homespot.
Its so difficult for me to ride upwind in this conditions but the guys on the rally 14 seems to ride upwind alot easier.
So my question : will this kite perform for wakestyle?
Alex Fox on a rally, havent got one of anybody on a 14...

http://vimeo.com/m/45147431

I use the 14m ralyy 2011, althouh im not a wakestuler, i will say i unhoook and kook pop into railys just fine with mine.

hoetthai
Rare Poster

Postby hoetthai » Mon May 06, 2013 4:00 am

Any other advice guys?

hoetthai
Rare Poster

Postby hoetthai » Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 am

Nobody??

K2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Event Site, Hood River, OR, USA
Favorite Beaches: Noosa, QLD, Aus.
Currumbin Beach, QLD, Aus.
Kite Beach, Maui, USA
Oregon Coast, USA
The Gorge, USA
La Ventana, Mexico
Style: Wake and Surf
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby K2 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Hey man. I wouldn't trade a 14m RPM for a 14m Rally if you wanted to get upwind a hell of a lot better. The Rally will get upwind better than an RPM, but I think it wouldn't really be something you would notice that much of a difference to make a 1:1 size trade for. If you already have a nice RPM, just make sure you have the center attachment points for your bridle on the Freestyle setting. That will help you get upwind better than if you have them on the Wake setting.

I also unhook with the Rally and have tons of fun. I'm not sure if it's the best kite for wake style tricks, but I do them unhooked on my Rally and have a blast so that's my 2 cents. I hope that helps!

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Not sure on latest designs, but Rallys seem to have more bottom end oomph than RPM of same size. Maybe thats why they go upwind better ?

OCKiter
Medium Poster

Postby OCKiter » Tue May 14, 2013 7:15 am

You have to decide what you want - do you want a kite that goes upwind really well and has lots of low end power but unhooks terribly (comparably) or do you want a kite that unhooks great but doesn't have as much low end power and is just ok at pushing upwind? You can't have both.

Or just dump both and ride Fuels. :D

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 am

I ride Fuels & rally's (and used some RPM's too): The rally has way more Low end and will help you upwind better. Unhooked tricks with the Rally are possible, but to get a nice slack, there is no better (slingshot) kite than the Fuel.

For me: Rally for waveriding (also unhooked when depowered properly), Fuel for freestyle. I never fancied the RPM, it is not bad, but for me it is not the ideal kite. If you want a freeride kite that can unhook: either RPM or Rally, with the RPM having a bit better freestyle characteristics and the Rally having better wave characteristics, better low end and slightly better range.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 pm

magic%20Ed wrote:I ride Fuels & rally's (and used some RPM's too): The rally has way more Low end and will help you upwind better. Unhooked tricks with the Rally are possible, but to get a nice slack, there is no better (slingshot) kite than the Fuel.

For me: Rally for waveriding (also unhooked when depowered properly), Fuel for freestyle. I never fancied the RPM, it is not bad, but for me it is not the ideal kite. If you want a freeride kite that can unhook: either RPM or Rally, with the RPM having a bit better freestyle characteristics and the Rally having better wave characteristics, better low end and slightly better range.
Very nicely put, absolutely spot on. The rally is my fave due to above. Fuel is so underestimated now the RPM is out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”