Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

17 die kiteboarding in US in 2012 ?!

Forum for kitesurfers
JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 17 die kiteboarding in US in 2012 ?!

Postby JS » Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 am

Thank you Rick, as always, for your valuable efforts.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Wed May 08, 2013 1:29 am

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed May 08, 2013 3:09 am

madworld wrote:https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewto ... 777#208777
There are some serious gross errors in the kiting "accident" information posted. I originally concluded it was a well intended but careless kiter preparing the account. Upon further reflection I am uncertain as to the motivation which is immaterial to a point. We need to be very careful about what we cite in the way of accident statistics. Screwing up kiting access could easily impact other board sports, it has happened before. The harsh reality is when it comes to preserving windsport access, we need to worry about ALL board sports and the hell with petty rivalries should such exist.

I have learned about two more International fatalities in 2012 (in Walchensee, Germany and Sotavento, Canary Islands), bringing the global total for that year to nine. It is possible they may still be others for that year that I have not heard about. Please if you know of other losses please contact me at the email address listed above.

You are welcome JS, thank you for commenting.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 am

RickI wrote:
madworld wrote:https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewto ... 777#208777
There are some serious gross errors in the kiting "accident" information posted. I originally concluded it was a well intended but careless kiter preparing the account. Upon further reflection I am uncertain as to the motivation which is immaterial to a point. We need to be very careful about what we cite in the way of accident statistics. Screwing up kiting access could easily impact other board sports, it has happened before. The harsh reality is when it comes to preserving windsport access, we need to worry about ALL board sports and the hell with petty rivalries should such exist.

I have learned about two more International fatalities in 2012 (in Walchensee, Germany and Sotavento, Canary Islands), bringing the global total for that year to nine. It is possible they may still be others for that year that I have not heard about. Please if you know of other losses please contact me at the email address listed above.

You are welcome JS, thank you for commenting.
The guy states his motivation as being good because he has a shop. I really do not understand how and why he would cite stats that are so far off the mark.

Also, as you know, thank you for keeping track of this!!!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 am

There is a world of french, spanish and portuguese and other language speaking countries that rarely get reported. There was talk of not reporting accidents here a while ago and reporting dropped compared to back in the day. I am pro reports with as much info as possible to learn from.

The IKA report for olympic kiteboarding contained many lies and was totally naiive, it was embarrassing to me as I have always tried to contribute as much as possible by sharing my experiences with others - especially as we are riding new gear here much earlier than Northern hemisphere and the fact that we get the most varied conditions on earth here in NZ.

I know a Japanese guy died in Maui when I was kiting there a few years ago, at least a couple in New Caledonia (shark and one during lesson- death loop i think it was), another in France where rider drowned during lesson after lines caught on teachers boat . Also I read about heaps more using googles translate service...

did anyone bother asking where they got their information yet?
Last edited by longwhitecloud on Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 08, 2013 4:05 am

longwhitecloud wrote: did anyone bother asking where they got their information yet?

I've sent emails asking. So far no reply.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed May 08, 2013 4:27 am

We used to routinely hear about severe kiting accidents on here worldwide for most of the time this site has been in existence. This has faded in the last three or so years. You can't assume you will learn of all fatalities worldwide but if it makes it into kiting/windsurfing forums or the media, there is a good chance word will get out. I have reports from several dozen countries from 2000 to the present day. I believe I have fortunately heard about and researched all the cases you mentioned longwhitecloud. I suspect there are others I haven't heard about however particularly outside the USA.

I sincerely ask for any reports of losses to be emailed to me. It is important, if only to combat gross misinformation such as in this instance that this information be collected. In years past important lessons came out of the analysis and discussion of these accidents which helped to preserve life, safety and access. So, if you have confirmed information please pass it along to me at flkitesurfer (at) hotmail.com .

You are welcome Alex and thank you for all your input and assistance over the years!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 am

tautologies wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote: did anyone bother asking where they got their information yet?

I've sent emails asking. So far no reply.

look at mad's link above dude heard in some random conversation that it was 17 so he wrote it down, I guess 17 was supposed to be the amount for all time but who knows it's just some random number guy heard and wrote it down.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

Seems to me the number has a dropped, even though the number of people engaged has skyrocketed. Better equipment over the last 6 or so years likely helps. The stat that speaks the most is the accident RATE. I think it would be quite reasonable when compared to things like cycling, football, hockey, climbing, etc.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm

You can see here that figures have only been published up to 2011 and that the categories and definitions do not include statistics specifically for kiting in the figures up to 2011.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/wor ... ns/557.PDF

Looking at their proposals for improving statistics from 2012 on, it doesn't look like the Coast Guard are particularly interested in kiting - probably because it is a small category and has been grouped with other craft so far.

They seem to get their stats from a survey, so the survey is a 'sample' of what's going on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”