Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force Trimming system and question

Forum for kitesurfers
MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Trimming system and question

Postby MattyRossJa » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Does anyone like the trimming system under the bar on the Liquid force 2013 gear ? I though it was a cool change , but i can't seem to get used to it ... Ridden on one about 10 times and i just can't used to it. absolutely hate it .

any thoughts ?

quick question ... trying to find the lil strut valve hose to buy for a 2011 cabrinha switchblade. , the lil hose that connects the strut to the leading edge ... any tips as to where i can find the hose to buy ?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Liquid Force Trimming system and question

Postby dyyylan » Thu May 09, 2013 1:04 am

I agree. I love the kites to death, love the bars, hate below the bar depower. It's so difficult to trim just because of the awkward position, you have to ride straight at the kite, use 2 hands, etc. It's stupid.

The one thing I do like about it is they set it up so you can attach your leash to the trim line, so when you drop the bar it will depower the kite 90% and it will sit on a wingtip at the edge of the window waiting for you. It's a lot nicer than riding suicide and it saves your kite a little damage when you tomahawk it unhooked

I do wish it was easy to convert to above the bar so you could have the option. Though I'm sure an army of seamstresses on this forum will say how easy it is to do yourself.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 am

if u want to convert to above bar trim, just feed the chicken loop bar out so it's above the bar, and all that goes thru the bar is one line onto your chicken loop, attach a cleat (u have to buy cleat) and you're done. Oh make sure you take off the stopper. Trim a few feet off the line so the length is right or make your rear line leaders longer. I dont like doing this to my lq bars because I kinda need that stopper. Maybe if I had a miniloop, but I hate drilling holes in my bar because it weakens them.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 am

I have been struggling with this issue for a while now. I own several LF kites and upgraded to the CPR. I found an old North vario cleat on ebay and have attempted the above the bar mod several times but noticed how it reduces the bar throw and shortens the depower distance. I hate the below the bar cleat but I do like it due to the massive amount of depower available. I also own a Cab and find the small depower strap to be about 5" less than the LF distance. Slingy has another below the bar and again...lots of depower. I was considering the North trust bar but videos show how their depower trim is VERY short (perhaps someone can comment). I think slingy is the way to go. Depends on what you think is important I guess?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 am

NYKiter wrote: noticed how it reduces the bar throw and shortens the depower distance.
extend your steering leaders bro just pull it out and replace if you want the long throw

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 am

I had a 2011 LF Envy with the CPR bar and hated the below the bar depower. In really strong conditions it was impossible to depower the kite. I literally had to park the kite at 12 and have someone depower it for me.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am

Lengthening steering lines would only move the sweet spot but not increase the throw.
The throw is governed by the total depower line length.
Its the distance of line between the chicken and the cleat.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm

NYKiter wrote:Lengthening steering lines would only move the sweet spot but not increase the throw.
The throw is governed by the total depower line length.
Its the distance of line between the chicken and the cleat.
u cant just lengthen chicken line u have to lengthen chicken line and rear line leaders. but when you mod your bar from below bar depower to above, you got plenty of chicken line. this is not rocket science.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

almost all bars these days have tons of de-power, even the North
if you need more than that you are very much on the wrong kite,
a smaller kite will fly better and be more fun than a lager kiter with that much de-power pulled

the throw is determined by the kite shape, bridle and how it flies with the "angle of attack" you chose with the line,
not the line length,

as with most things, you can have too much of a good thing

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm

knot when you convert from below bar to above bar trim strap you lose depower because instead of the entire doubled length half of the chicken line being your throw the bar stops where you attached the new above the bar cleat.

That's why when you do this mod if you want to preserve throw you add some length to the steering line leaders. Or not, if you don't mind the decreased throw.

Return to “Kitesurfing”