Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spreader Bar Failure

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Spreader Bar Failure

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah - it is a PITA that spreader bar hooks breaks - but THEY DO !

I think it happens to all of them (brands), that you can get one that breaks, or have one that breaks after 5-7 years of use :roll:

Or you can ride 40 years without having one :naughty:

And as we are some who simply hates a bar that is not fixed (a sliding or tilting spreader bar), this is not an option, eventhough the stress might be less.

Unfortunately I dont think there is much to do about this risk :wink:

:D Peter

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 am

Peter_Frank wrote: ...

And as we are some who simply hates a bar that is not fixed (a sliding or tilting spreader bar), this is not an option, eventhough the stress might be less.

Unfortunately I dont think there is much to do about this risk :wink:

:D Peter
I Understand you Peter ; sorry i came on so strong !

It's just that i happen to be the Unluckiest person on this forum ; soon
or later, the kite that takes me out next, may wrap one of it's top-lines
around my neck. Then i won't be worrying about a prosthetic falling off any-longer
Because :
i'll be Dead !!

Seriously -- i already do enough sh*t that should kill me, Don't need any
help from an engineer that exemplifies the epitome of ineptitude, and can't grasp
something as simple as a spreader-bar and it's applied stress,
that won't hold up to the design criteria because There Too Stupid to make it
stronger in a way that relieves the stress !!

They "Do" sell more of them that way though.
=================================================
Here-- try This Mr engineer :

The spreader BAR, has a hole in it that the hook can be placed through instead
of being welded.
THEN
encompass the part of the hook that goes Through the spreader with a thick
rubber, ( the type found on an engine mount) to relieve the stress, & tighten it down
with a bolt
A Bolt that's Stronger than the one Sling-Shot used on the spreader/release-hook they made
when my 15M Ozone got destroyed because it broke. Yea the safety Leash was
attached to the bolt that broke !! Another GREAT design ; makes me wanna just Rush right out and
purchase another Sling Shot Product --------------------------------------------NOT !!!

As for ME -- i'm quite Happy with my V-7 , Thank You !!

Bille

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 am

I'm pretty sure the hook goes through the spreader bar and is welded on both sides. They've both broken on the front side, at the base of the hook just above the weld :(

I'd like to try a Dynabar, but I'm a bit dubious that they'll survive any better - nuts, threads, moving parts... hmm.

Does the V7 fit the Dakine hooks?

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 am

Kamikuza wrote:I'm pretty sure the hook goes through the spreader bar and is welded on both sides. They've both broken on the front side, at the base of the hook just above the weld :(

I'd like to try a Dynabar, but I'm a bit dubious that they'll survive any better - nuts, threads, moving parts... hmm.

Does the V7 fit the Dakine hooks?
The hook does go through the bar and is welded on both sides

The V-7 does fit the Dakine hooks too.

I think fixed hooks are good for unhooking, but for those of us that don't unhook, sliding spreader bar are the way to go. I have the V-7. it works great. I love the extra movement is gives me. I am playing with some home made versions too.
This one uses a modified Slingshot surefire spreader bar hook with a QR. I just removed the hook from the bar. This is a good way to experiment and get some use out of your bars with the broken hook. I am using it with a bar that has no QR
surefire hook.jpg
surefire hook.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
This one is very simple to make. It is just a cut down spreader bar with a line running through it. I flared the tube a smoothed the edges. I attached a bungee cord so the hook stands up and center when unhooked. It works really well and costs less than $10 aside from the spreader bar. Because the sliding spreader bar moves freely, the hook is not as likely to break like fixed spreader bars
z flared spreader bar tube.jpg
z flared spreader bar tube.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
bungee hook.jpg
bungee hook.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
bungee hook attach.jpg
bungee hook attach.jpg (105.31 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

kitesurfboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: zeebruges
Favorite Beaches: alvor
zeebruges
Style: freestyle
Gear: psycho4 10 15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfboy » Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm

my problems with the dakine fusion seat harness :
video on you tube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rQSXsIY_U

they have to put a tag on it : use @ own risk :lol:

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Yes, this is a scary one because failure can mean big trouble AND because it is difficult to see it coming, even if you do routine inspection like I do. Easy to spot wearing, frayed lines, etc. but despite doing spreader bar inspection, I really must admit that I really do not know what the hell I am looking at. I would only notice something egregious, which at that point, it would have probably broken by then anyway. For the welders/engineers out there, if no obvious wear is showing, should a spreader bar ever be changed out periodically based on age, regardless of how it looks??? I have an older Dakine (4, 5 years old) and I guess something is to be said about newer not necessarily being better.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 am

John-B wrote:Having a powered 11m session last night when my spreader bar snapped and fully detached. Luckily I was doing a carve transition and I was ripped from my footstraps before the bar was ripped from me and because I attach my leash to part of it my kite took a few tumbles dragging the lines with it before settling LE down. Lucky as; the tide was going out and there was room upwind; escaped with only some staved fingers and a badly bruised hand; and lucky because I was doing some pretty big jumps in what was, due to the tide, pretty shallow water.

The spreader bar is less than a year old, there is no sign of rust, or wear.There was no warning, it happened so fast I had no time to react and it was pretty violent. I emailed the manufacturer who has offered a warranty replacement no quibbles; however a quick google shows that this is more common that you might think on these bars. Also irrespective of this how many failures like this is too many? This is a critical piece of equipment and it made me think what if this had happened at a busy launch such as where I go on holiday like El Medano, or if another water user had been nearby?

This is something that probably 99% of people cannot be spot easily (how many kiters are welders/fabricators). Unlike some other parts it doesn't show any obvious signs of wear or use and should a spreader bar have a shelf life and what is this in hours/use?

Yes it is a Dakine Hammerhead. As stated they and the UK distributor were quick to reply and offer a warranty replacement (how much confidence do I have in this?) but my emailing them was not for this purpose and I suggested as above - how many failures are too many before they look at the manufacturing of these?

Therefore this is not a 'name and shame' thread but I want to find out if this has happened to others, or with other bars. I think if I have enough evidence then I'll forward it to Dakine. This is not me simply feeling aggrieved. I do think this is a serious safety issue and if there is any potential for this to fail in such a way then surely the manufacturer has to look at the design/quality control. I have googled and can't seem to find this issue with other brands so wondering if anyone out there has had it happen to them on any brand?

Thank you for posting this. I just checked my Dakine spreader bar and there is a hair line crack on the left side starting to work its way across the weld line. Getting this replaced tomorrow.

Thanks again for posting this.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am

... I've broken 3 spreader bars in my kiting career, all different brands.

First was a Wipika, then a Gaastra windsurfing harness spreader bar fitted to Wipika harness, then a Prolimit kitesurfing harness. On the third one instead panicing as I was 4 km out to sea, I calmly threaded the chickenloop around the bar and reset then kited for another hour.

It happens!!!! :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am

kitesurfboy wrote:my problems with the dakine fusion seat harness :
video on you tube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rQSXsIY_U

they have to put a tag on it : use @ own risk :lol:
Yeah, my leg straps have gone the same way... they're only hanging on by a thread but they've been hanging on for months now :-?

I think it happened from pulling the straps tight - if you pull the strap the way you normally do, it can tear that point. Better to pull the strap out of the buckle, gently snug it down then pull the remaining strap through.

I've had QR issues with the Fusion too...

Been lucky with my spreader bars failing - after a jump, complete failure and at the top of a jump, only one side broke.

Recently, I lost the hook knife cos the pocket must have ripped when I slammed one time... naturally, it wasn't there the ONLY time I needed it :-?

Kitebaja
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kitebaja » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 am

I bought Dakine Fusion harness online from UK big retailer year and a half ago.
It broke spreader bar hook, and leg straps after few uses.
This is very widespread problem on Dakine.
Now shop is telling me that they cannot do anything if harness is older than 1 year!

European warranty is 2 years.
Dakine warranty is 2 years.
Dakine has lifetime warranty on defects.
And they tell me this?

How did you manage to get replacement from Dakine?
It seems that only in USA they have proper warranty service?

Return to “Kitesurfing”