Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Overpowered 11m Crossbow Mystery!

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri May 10, 2013 2:52 am

I'm not sure of this years bridle configuration but could it be possible that the bridles somehow snapped at one of the Y connections? Or perhaps the line connections have slipped. Cabrinha pigtails are adjustable so maybe they slipped and added some length to the center lines.

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 am

Broken line inside the chicken loop could be the case specially if you heard a pop.
Lines and bridles will still looks fine!
Try to fly the kite with another bar..
Bye Jankie

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marthas Vineyard
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha kites
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Fri May 10, 2013 3:30 am

flyingweasel wrote:Do you have a picture of the trim strap or link to a picture?
No i dont have a picture but i could take one and post it tomorrow

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 am

kitesurfbali wrote:Broken line inside the chicken loop could be the case specially if you heard a pop.
Lines and bridles will still looks fine!
Try to fly the kite with another bar..
Bye Jankie
Yes!! THats my nex plan.... and i like this theory because its the only thng that makes any sense... but when i check the lines i am pulling the bar all the way back to the chicken loop[ but perhaps the line inside the rubber section gets pulled out even further with the kite attached... hmmm how could i test that theory without flying the kite...

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 am

What material is the line inside that plastic/rubber section??? Ive actually had one break before but the kite and bar and everything took off and all i had left was the chicken loop.... and it was just a rope inside but that was a much older bar, and either way how could it still be holding on even if it was broken?

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 am

matthepp wrote:I'be heard that the depower line inside the black plastic sleeve can snap while the plastic tube holds the load (stretched out). That theory matches the symptoms
+1 on this theory. If the main line inside plastic tube snapped (loud pop), the plastic tube still holds but stretches under load and makes middle lines longer. On the shore it shrinks back, so you can't see the line difference. To test it I would tie middle lines somewhere and pull the chicken loop (preferably down, and put your weight on it). Someone should help you to see if plastic tube stretches. Also, you can try to fly your kite with someone else bar. You could also try your bar on another kite, but if the main line is broken it is not safe.

Meansealevel
Rare Poster
Crazy Fly

Postby Meansealevel » Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 am

Wow so stoked i got on here to ask around :thumb: i couldnt take the wondering so i just went outside to see if i couldn't figure this out now and that is definitely the problem, the main line has to be broken. I put the bar on the ground with the lines all wrapped up of course and just stood on the bar and pulled on the chicken loop and it defenitely stretches. I compared it to my girlfriends 12m bar and hers doesnt stretch at all, my 11m bar stretches significantly and thats just from my pulling on it! Scary to think ive flown it a few times like that! It all makes sense because when it broke i was wearing a hood and it was pretty windy so it must have been fairly loud for me to hear what i did. I just cant believe it, thats the second times that happened to me and ive only been kiting for 2 years, i guess the next thing i need to figure out.... anyway thanks so much for the help, especially for the helpful help :cool2:
Enjoy the Ride

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am

People think that covered trim line do not wear, they do, just at a slower rate, and the problem is that you can't see it happening,!! This also happens to rope and tube chicken loops so be warned.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm

I have a crossbow 2010 11.
It happened to me.
It was due to an inner line inside that black pipe that goes through the bar. It was broken and all that held the kite was the plastic pipe (I mean before the depower/ids line act).

g00se
Medium Poster

Postby g00se » Fri May 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Very interesting discussion.

I always wondered if the line could still wear and snap inside the plastic cover, and I wouldn't have even considered one of the symptoms would be lack of depower (but it's obvious when you think about it :) )

I have Ozone's which also use the black PU cover. At least I'll know what the issue is if/when it happens.

I like topics like this on the forum :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”